Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Waarg posted:

unfortunately it's a fair way out of my price range.

What is your price range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Waarg posted:

£3-400

You could probably find a used Canon 100 mm 2.8 (non-L) around that range if you want more reach. Image quality is amazing, too.

I forget if it was in the last thread or another thread, but there was a lot of love for, I think, the Rokinon/Samyang 14mm 2.8.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Waiting for a 5d II release with 24 fps raw video...

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
ML on the 5D may be searching only on the SD card for the autoexec.bin file, which would explain why it's slow even if you put it on the CF card.

I've never used ML though so this is just me guessing from what I've read here.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Any opinions on the Sony HT-CT260 soundbar?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Mightaswell posted:

I find that all you need to craft a compelling image is hart, otherwise they are destined for the undertaker. But in the end, nobody is Mr. Perfect.

Was this a sneaky 90s WWF reference?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
If I'm not doing any post at all I'll just shoot JPEG.

Why do people keep saying RAW? It's not an abbreviation/acronym.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
No, I mean people keep capitalizing it.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Mr. Despair posted:

The same reason people capitalize JPEG or TIFF.

No, it's not. Those are both acronyms, which raw is not.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Disclaimer: I'm a programmer at a Japanese company in Japan.

evil_bunnY posted:

Japanese are consistently horrible at writing code

I agree; a lot of Japanese programmers write spaghetti code and have no idea what style is, or good project management practices, or anything like that. Many of them are also not anywhere near up-to-date on current packages/libraries and like to use random things (PukiWiki, CentOS, Python 2.3) that hardly anyone else uses anywhere.

"If it works, don't fix it" is a pretty Japanese philosophy. You make something and if it works you never touch it again and do everything you can possibly do to avoid ever touching it again.

evil_bunnY posted:

the Japanese are consistently horrible at . . . at designing UI's. I don't know why, they clearly have there poo poo together in plenty of other fields.

Japanese UI design is... strange. It's often oriented at Japanese people.

In software, the prevailing philosophies I've seen are "users don't want to see a lot of stuff" and "users want to be told exactly what to do," which gets you these weird, limited interfaces with limited options and bullshit clicking everywhere to get anywhere, rather than a big list of options or whatever. I'm sure it's different in other places, but the domestic software for domestic audiences that I've seen is absolutely terrible because of that -- a great example would be the ISP setup stuff and router configurations here... or domestic cell phone stuff.

Fake edit: I just noticed that I'm not in the programming thread. Oops.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Inf posted:

Does anyone here have any first-hand experience getting data corruption on an SD card?

Yup. One card would show me the filenames but not let me open them or copy them.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Inf posted:

Hmm, good to know. Brands?

IT was a 4 GB or 8 GB Transcend, I think. This would have been back when I was using a... G8?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'd love for my current job's exposure to embedded systems to someday allow me to do something like ARM firmware development for Canon's camera bodies, but I believe all of that engineering is done in Japan. I know they have some engineering presence in New York, but I don't know in what capacity.

It may not actually be as hard/impossible as you think -- I did some CV stuff and had a presentation for Casio's camera division last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Oprah Haza posted:

LUCKILY THE 5D3 IT WAS ATTACHED TO ONLY GAINED ONE SCUFF MARK AS A RESULT. I initially thought the mount had ripped off in the crash - the shock/"oh poo poo" thoughts were probably why I didn't start punching people in the dick.

I'm glad your camera's okay, but... if there's a helicopter flying into a crowd and you freaked out about your camera, I would probably punch you in the dick.