Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012
I have the Sigma 35 1.4. I posted about it in the Street Photography thread. It's phenomenally sharp, I haven't actually taken it off my camera since I bought it. It is built like a tank, weighs a ton, and is huge for a 35 prime, but it's got incredible detail and also it has an interesting tonal range that I personally like, it's kinda muted. It's not vibrant if that's your thing, but it has an interesting way of rendering color that compliments the types of shots I like.

I much prefer it to the 35L other than the size.

Here are a few shots with it, they are processed so not straight off the camera, but you get the idea.

Collapse Inward by SirWyeth, on Flickr

Noreaster by SirWyeth, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

bolind posted:

AF is quick in my view, maybe L connoisseurs will disagree, but I don't complain.

It's very quick, my biggest purchase criteria was low light focus due to how awful the 50mm canon variants are in those conditions, and it performs admirably.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Inf posted:

I would think you would want to use a rectilinear lens for constructing 360 pano tours. The source imagery would be stitched together and projected onto a spherical or cylindrical panorama in post. Real fisheye lenses are great for stills and SKATEBOARDING VIDEOS but the inherent distortion would cause problems if you tried to use it as any kind of 3D projection.

Almost all image based lighting panoramics for film (used for scene lighting reconstruction and environment mapping on materials) are done with an 8mm fisheye on a full frame camera with special panoramic heads (nodal ninja, et al) and then stitched using special software like PTGui.