Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

What size filters do you use with a TS-E 24? I'm going to wait until I've played around with the lens for a while before buying a filter set, but it'd be nice to know how much more I have to empty my bank account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Yup. Glad I don't already own filters, it would suck to ditch a smaller size. What's the advantage of using drop-in square filters, is that mostly for grad ND?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

somnambulist posted:

Welcome to the club! You'll never want to take that damned thing off, its such a great lens. What body are you using it with?

I wasn't even planning on using it, but it happened to be on my 5d3 when my friends dragged me outside today. Holy poo poo, I wasn't expecting it to be so much fun. It's definitely easy to overdo the tilt effect, but it's kind of mind blowing to have control over the direction of the focal plane.

I missed focus on the girl's face here, but this was close to being an awesome picture (that's her teacher in the foreground).

This thing is gonna replace my 35/1.4 as a walkabout lens.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 17, 2014

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Yeah, that's how it should work when your subjects aren't moving and you can zoom in on live view. It's really tough to interpret what you're seeing in a dynamic scene with the viewfinder, I should have both stopped down and used less tilt to give myself margin. I haven't had the lens for long enough to get a feel for that yet.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 18, 2014

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I like the 135/2 for portraits. The 85/1.8 is good too, but the CA is pretty bad when it's wide open. I'd kill for an 85/1.2.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Mightaswell posted:

Some people don't like the idea of a prime being their walk around lens, but personally my default is my sigma 35A. If I know I need the range then I'll bring the 24-105L.

Same here with the Sigma, but I toss in a 135/2 in my bag too because it's really compact for a medium-long lens.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

85 1.8 should be one of those lenses all Canon owners look into, the quality is amazing for the price.

The quality is also amazing for how tiny it is!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I like how after Ken Rockwell bought a 1D X (why??), the first shot in his review is a photo of his ugly-rear end kid taken with a nifty fifty. Then he begs for money at the bottom.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Guys, guys... can't we all slap on some manual focus lenses and get along?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Nope, but don't underestimate just how small and light the 40 is. I have both, there's really no reason not to toss the 40 in my bag if I'm carrying a bunch of other gear and I don't want to pack the Sigma.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Just got a 70-300L, why doesn't it come with a tripod ring, and why the hell does the ring itself cost like $200?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

It's surprising how little of a difference there is from 200-300mm, but I guess field of view as a function of focal length goes as an arc tangent.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Someone talk me out of buying the EF 135mm f/2L refurbished for $750 + tax. :ohdear:

I love that length but already have it covered with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II. It's so cheap though!

It's smaller, lighter, and faster than the 70-200. You know you want it.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Ahahaha, these are all amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

triplexpac posted:

since this is just a hobby spending $1000 on a lens is a bit steep.

Yeah, don't go down that rabbit hole if you can avoid it.

:emo:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

For what it's worth, I still use my 40 after getting a full frame camera and a bunch of expensive lenses, while my 50 just collects dust.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

You'll be happy with the lens. You do have to be careful and store it with the lens retracted, especially if you're going to travel with it on a bike. When it's on the camera and powered on, switch it to manual focus and turn the ring until the lens is pulled in all the way.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Isn't that what lens caps are for?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Yeah, or just warm it up gradually. I used to baby my 60D when I took it out in the snow, but I stopped caring and it gets tons of condensation when I bring it inside. I just let it dry for a day or so before I turn it on.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Now that the title of the gear thread says to hail Satan instead of not to buy a UV filter, look what happens.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

You should take a 100-400 and pump it a bunch of times like a Super Soaker.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

I'm pretty excited. Managed to snag a refurbished TS-E 24mm during the recent sale for $1500. Just got it and it's in mint condition, no signs of use. Beats paying $2200 for a new one.

That's a great price for a ridiculously fun lens.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

triplexpac posted:

Wouldn't the 85mm require a fair bit of space to get a full body portrait even on a full frame?

Yeah, but the results are worth it. A lot of people do portraits at 135 or 200mm. I like 85 for full body and 135 for headshots.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

KinkyJohn posted:

For weddings mostly.

Sigma 35 1.4. You'll need the aperture.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Eh, I'd still rather have the extra stop for those weddings that are lit darker than a mammoth's rectum.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

The sigma is the obvious upgrade if you hate money. Never buy the 1.2. Actually never buy 1.2 anything.

I dunno this looks ok to me.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Sigma 12-24

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Having never used one, the 400 DO always seemed like an odd duck. It's small for a 400mm lens, but I'd still rather have a 300/2.8 plus a 1.4 TC for the versatility. Maybe the new version is a lot better?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Haggins posted:

Later on I found out that a f/4 on a FF sensor is the same as 2.8 on a crop.

I don't get it. Isn't f/4 still an f/4 whatever it's projecting onto?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Haggins posted:

24mm isn't wide at all on a crop. Sure you get more on the long end, however, I don't think the long end is as important as the wide end. With the long end you can fake it by zooming with your feet and getting closer to your subject. With wide angle, there isn't much you can do other than get a wider lens. You could move back from your subject but it's just not the same. Also, f/4 would suck on a crop for DoF.

This is good general advice, but for landscapes in Iceland I found myself using much longer focal lengths than usual. "Zoom with your feet" doesn't really work if you're photographing a glacier near the horizon or a mountain peak across the valley.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The Canon 100mm non-IS macro is basically the same optics as the L lens without stabilization and like 1/3 of the price. Since you can take your time with your shots and probably use a tripod for product photography, you don't need IS.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Canon refurb store is restocked on 1.4x and 2.0x extenders, they're like $40 cheaper than the going rate on eBay.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Even if you end up with a decent deal through Abe's, I'd avoid them on principle:

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/blog/2014/05/warning-avoid-abes-of-maine-and-other-bait-switch-retailers/

I haven't been following 6D prices, but it looks like you could have gotten a better deal elsewhere without having to deal with a bait-and-switch.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 27, 2014

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

bolind posted:

Any good instructional videos I should watch? Any other tips for getting the most out of my new setup?

What exactly are you trying to do? Everything works pretty much the same, though you'll probably be pleasantly surprised at how much you can push the ISO now.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Are you in a country with a crappy exchange rate? Canon refurb 70-200s have been going for about $1800 lately.

I've never tried it, but if you stick a 1.4x TC on the 135/2, you end up with a 189/2.8.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 6, 2014

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

bolind posted:

Just take photos, I'm not much into video although I'm thinking I should.

Is the AF system much different? I've almost exclusively done center point so far.

Keep using center point, the AF system on the 6D is actually a downgrade from the 7D because Canon hates you.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

You're in luck, Canon is unwilling or unable to improve their sensor technology, so the 50D is still a perfectly good camera in their lineup. Newer gen cameras mostly have minor ergonomic changes and better video.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 20, 2014

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Pubes under the dial switch.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

ScooterMcTiny posted:

If they are female pubes do I add a couple hundo? Just want to make sure I'm clear on that.

Only if they're not grey or white.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Isn't that what a 40mm pancake is for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

dakana posted:

With the caveat that I've never actually used one, honestly the 100-400 has really never appealed to me, and it's entirely because of the aperture. I realize you really can't make a faster zoom in that range without the price being just stupid, but the thought of starting at 4.5 and just getting worse always turned me off of that lens.

I felt the same way until I got a 70-300/4-5.6 specifically for a vacation. I got some really sweet shots at 300mm, and I've been on the tele bandwagon ever since. You're basically always outside whenever you need these focal lengths, and even f/4 or so seems really fast under those conditions.

Edit: Looking through my LR catalog, my strongest (5 star) shots were taken at f/8, f/14, and f/5.6.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 13, 2014