Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I took my a7Riii out in the snow and immediately regretted it. Snow got in the hot shoe and shorted the pins and I got the error on the screen that the accessory is not supported. Which ended my photo shooting for the night until it dried out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Dog!

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I have a Helios 44-2 58mm from the 70s in my Sony mirrorless and I haven't taken it off my camera since I got it 18 months ago. And if I get the money I'm going to pick up a Helios 85mm.

So, how old are you talking? haha

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
85 seems to be a strictly portrait lens.

50 is more multi purpose, in that you have a little reach for portrait compression and bokeh, but also covers a fairly good portion of the human eye FOV. Obviously 35 is more the human eye equivalent, but I find having just a little extra push in with the 50 adds a bit of drama beyond the 35mm. However, as more and more people are becoming familiar with cell phone photos which tend towards a wider field of view, an argument can be made that telephoto shots look less mainstream in general and thus have an edge in the masse of photos that populate our culture now.

shrug