Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

yoohoo posted:

That certainly makes the R8 a lot more enticing.

One thing I would note is that the R series cameras have a shorter battery life than the old DSLR cameras. I don't have an R7 or R8, but my R5 uses the same (larger) battery as the R7 and I've got an RP that uses the same (smaller) battery as the R8. I don't think I've ever run out battery power using something like a 7D or Rebel, and the big battery on the R5 will hold up for a good two hours of constant, heavy use. The smaller battery that the RP/R8 both uses seems to die surprisingly quickly, though. I don't know if that's likely something that will bother you, but it's something to consider.

Also the IBIS is really nice. You obviously won't miss it if you've never used it, but once you get used to having it, it's really difficult to do without in certain circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

You can get upwards of 1500 shots on an R7 on one battery (burst high FPS, but still). There's a lot of little tricks that can get you 30-50% more shots per battery on these. The main thing is that the EVF uses significantly more battery than the LCD which is counterintuitive. Also, high refresh rate on the LCD sucks battery.

Right, my experience with the R5 has been that it has enough battery life to never be an issue. It uses the same battery as the R7. But the RP and R8 use a smaller battery, and I have consistently found that that particular battery just doesn't quite last long enough. If I'm taking pictures at a soccer game or a dance or wildlife on a hike, the larger battery will always finish out the event or whatever with some juice to spare. The smaller battery always runs out just before the thing ends or I'm ready to quit.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RillAkBea posted:

This is pretty ridiculous. These kind of shots should be super easy?

They should be regardless of your autofocus settings, but the autofocus can get pretty specific. I’m not sure if the menus are the same on the R7 as my R5, but open your menu, then go to AF 1. There should be a toggle that tells your autofocus to focus on animals.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Winter Rose posted:

Appreciate the responses! I believe he was referring to the LCD screen in his complaints. I've never used Live View much myself though. Interesting to hear about the issue with the EVF though it sounds like it comes down to personal preference between optical and EVF (and EVF and live view).

I've only ever had issues with this in extremely bright, sunny conditions with the screen angled upwards. You can also adjust the brightness of the LCD screen to compensate for conditions. I don't think this will likely be something you'll find troublesome often, though. I think I've only really run into issues while taking weird macro photos (hence the screen angled upwards, camera held low to the ground) in the summer.