Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

bisticles posted:

What are my options for getting a lens repaired that I bought used? My 100L is all of the sudden rendering a bunch of noise and distortion, like an element is whacked out of place.

Send it into Canon. Then be prepared to shell out some dough, of varying amounts depending upon what's wrong.

I have never heard of a lens element/decentering issue that cost more than a few hundred bucks to fix, and I would bet yours won't cost half that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

InternetJunky posted:

I know people are going to throw money at this like it's the second coming of Christ, but this has to be the worst value for your money out of the entire Canon lens lineup.

It's expensive, absolutely YES. But it's also a 300mm f4, 400mm f4, 500mm f5.6, prime-quality zoom lens, all in one neat and easy package, and with killer IS, to boot.

I do think it's about twice as expensive as it needs to be, but Canon needs to make back that R&D money somehow!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I just lucked out and picked up a Canon 50mm 1.4 for what I hope will end up costing me -$5 - $50, after I sell off everything else it came with.

I'm super excited because when I had a crop body the Sigma 30mm 1.4 was one of my favorite lenses. So far the Canon doesn't impress me that much - it's soft until f2 and noisy, but I think it will do the job, especially for the price.

With that said, I'm "eagerly" awaiting the hypothesized new Canon 50mm 1.4 IS with an MSRP of $649.99. :rolleyes:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Fair CL price for the 24-105L is $750. I see them in Houston at that price point several times a week.

When you get back, list it for $700 and it will sell within hours if you're in a major city. Saves you $150 over renting.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Or buy and keep the Sigma 17-50 OS, which is the best of the 2.8 IS zooms for crop bodies.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Haggins posted:

How does the Canon 17-55 compare to it? I've been talking myself into an upgrade from the Tamron 17-50 and haven't considered the sigma.

It has an extra 5mm of range, otherwise the Sigma matches or exceeds it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Bingo. Costco and Dry Creek's profiles have allowed me to make some seriously killer 8x12 prints for like $1.50 each.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Nah. Just get a friend that is a member to buy you a bunch of $10 Costco gift cards. When it's time to pay they'll ring you up as a special member, swipe your gift card, and if your total exceeds the value of the card you can use your debit or Amex to pay the rest.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How do you order the prints in the first place? I had to put in a member # to order prints the first time. Use your friend's?

Also you don't even need a membership to buy a gift card.

Do you order online? I go in person and use their automated machines.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

iSheep posted:

So hey, glad that a lot of my questions about the 6D and 24-105mm f4 were answered on the previous page.

My question is: Would the 24-105 be a good lens for wedding photography? I figure I could run that and maybe keep my T2i with my 50mm 1.8 as backup?

What is the best route I should take here?

Depends. Are you going to bring speedlights with you?

Every wedding I have been to except for one has been too dark for an f4 lens without flash. I suspect they'd be even too dark for f2.8 without flash. Bring your own light, if you can.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

mAlfunkti0n posted:

What have I done ... I sold my Tamron and 40D this week.

And spent way too much money this morning and bought a 6D off eBay. My wallet feels so much lighter now. :(

It better be at over $3000.

Factoring in the discounts I got along with the value of the lens, my 5d3 body cost me closer to $2300.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Amazon.com, last December.

The price worked out to:

$3299 for body + lens
-$750 (if you wanted) by selling the lens
-$120 by buying $600 of Amazon gift cards at 20% off via a special promotion at a local grocery store
-$65 for 2% Amazon rewards offered at the time
-$135 in credit card cashback (5% cashback on $2699, which was the total price after applying the $600 in discounted gift cards)

Now that I'm redoing the math I paid $2229 for the 5d3 body if I had chosen to sell the 24-105 (I didn't).

bobfather fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 27, 2013

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Based on what it's lacking and the price point, they definitely seem to be making room for a new prosumer crop-body like a 7D II. I wonder if we'll see it before the year is over.

I hope we do - it will drive the prices of the 7D even lower! If I can pick up a second-hand 7D for $600, life would sure be grand!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

mclifford82 posted:

And you only have to wait until a few days ago! Just gotta find the deals:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-7...=item5657813681

I saw that a couple days ago, but it was live for no more than a couple hours and it never got posted to any of the deal sites I frequent.

I'm talking about a second-hand, non-refurbished body via Craigslist or something. I hate white-box refurbs because they kill the resale value down the line.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

No, he meant that you can't mount any of those lenses.

If your 17-40 is dead, the only thing that can replace it in that price range is another 17-40. Check Craigslist - I see them go sometimes for as low as $450, and average around $600.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Sounds like at one point in time you set up an autoexec file to auto boot magic lantern on wake. Did you undo that autoexec?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

somnambulist posted:

I don't think the 5d mark 3 firmware HAS that option :/

It definitely does, but you would know it if you had enabled it because it's not enabled by default, and you have to do some song and dance to get it enabled.

See this page at the bottom for autoexec stuff:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2602.0

You didn't do that, did you?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Canon just bumped their refurbished warranty from 90 days to a year.

That's pretty amazing and makes Canon refurbs an absolute no-brainer, the same way Apple refurbs are.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The noise in the first image is weird - there's a white paper linked in the ML forums that has better AB comparisons, including that Batman picture which is pretty noisy in the thread but not at all noisy in the white paper.

Basically check the white paper. The examples are pretty amazing.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

100-400L kicks rear end.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seeing how the 24-105mm/4 from Sigma is apparently making GBS threads all over Canon's, and expecting the same for the rumored 24-70mm/2(.8), I'd wait for anything longer from them.

With an 82mm thread, it automatically loses for me.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Mr. Despair posted:

Good job comparing new prices for the sigma with used prices for the canon. Nothing like throwing apples at oranges, nope.

Canon 24-105 new, from Buydig 2 weeks ago for $694. Never mind when they popped up as official Canon refurbs for even less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Seamonster posted:

jfc, the moment I have a few bucks saved and ready to go, up all the (legit) 5Dm3 deals just seem to dry the hell up. Nothing on KEH, nothing on lensauthority, nothing from the Canon refurb site (of course) and all the ebay sellers are grey market so iffy US warranties :negative:

I have a 5d3 I might look to sell. I was going to list it locally for $2500, body only.

It's not under warranty anymore, but it doesn't have the light leak issue. Not sure of the actuations off hand, but I could find out later for you if you were interested.