Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Canon Rumors says the 1DX II is shipping in April, so expect an announcement in Feb or March.

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-ii-coming-in-april-2016-cr3/

People like to scoff at rumor sites, but he doesn't mark things as [CR3] lightly. He's pretty much always right when he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

Oh wow, I thought they usually announced stuff much earlier to drum up hype. April really isn't far off.

Sometimes they do. I know the 1DX had a much bigger gap between announcement and shipping, but I think that was because they were having issues with the final touches.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

A smug sociopath posted:

That's not really a fair thing to say when you consider also at least RED (including the Dragon sensor), Panasonic, AJA and Blackmagic have flunked out usable DR tests made by Cinema5D or Geoff Boyle in very similar fashion. Some being really jarring like Dragon sensor (claimed 16+ stops) rating at 10 stops under tungsten light (CML test) and AJA Cion rating 8 stops (claimed 12 stops) at Cinema5D. Pretty much every manufacturer outside of Arri exaggerates their DR claims.

Also, from what I recall the Canon performed as well as Sony sensors in the DR tests. So if that translates to stills, the 1DX II should be a great camera indeed.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Since they have a little more time before announcement/release, I wonder if they'll try to do what Nikon did with the D5 and make different cameras with different card slots.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Dudeabides posted:

Does anyone have a remedy for soft focus/sharpness issues on an SL1? Maybe I'm not shooting at fast enough shutter speeds but I feel like the focus calibration is off.

Can you post some examples (with exif intact)?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"[ts posted:

xenophobe" post="455463631"]
New thread title is nice, but it makes me feel bad for wanting one to carry in my pocket.

A clown?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

KinkyJohn posted:

So the 1dx mk2 got announced. How does it compare to the nikon D5?

In terms of image quality and DR I guess we'll have to wait for the first independent tests to come in, which could be a while...

Based on what we know, they seem pretty comparable. As you say, the image quality will be the important test.

Interesting that it is about $500 cheaper than the D5. Canon is usually the one with the highest price point.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

I'm pretty eager to see some 1DX vs 1DX2 image tests. They've had 5 (6?) years to come up with this new model and so far it sounds pretty underwhelming, especially if you don't shoot video at all.

The fact that it's only $6000 makes me think the image quality won't be significantly better than the 1DX. I hope I'm wrong though.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

timrenzi574 posted:

1DX2 has an on-chip ADC, confirmed in the official bits today.

Great news. I'm dying to see what they can do. And I'm sure the tech will filter down to the 5D4, which is probably more in my price range and needs.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

There's a dynamic range comparison between the 1DX and 1DXII on this page: http://www.fotosidan.se/cldoc/vi-har-provat-canon-1d-x.htm?page=-1

It's some crazy language, but I had Chrome translate it and it says the images were pushed 5 stops. It looks like there's significant improvement in the shadows. Almost looks Sony-esque.

It was also done with .jpgs, so the raw files should be better I would think.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Sorry, but what is a CSC?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

rolleyes posted:

Sorry - too many TLAs! A Compact System Camera, often referred to in this thread as a "mirrorless" camera.

Yes, In terms of light-gathering ability, the aperture is always equivalent regardless of sensor size. f/1.8 on your cell phone gathers as much light as f/1.8 on a full frame camera.

There's no inherent trade off just because a camera is a CSC, all specs being equal.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

alkanphel posted:

If you're going all Zeiss, the Zeiss 100 Makro-Planar is still the best macro lens I've used. Bitingly sharp with buttery smooth falloff.

Good lens, but only 1:2 magnification.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

9 fps would still leave some distance between the 1DX II, but I think a lot of sports shooters might decide that 9 fps is sufficient. It wasn't too long ago that the best sports cameras shot "only" 9-10 fps.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

akadajet posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that the Canon cameras feel a bit more solid than the Sony ones? I've only messed with the a7rii in the store.

Not at all. Ergonomics and build is one of the reasons I switched back to Canon from an A7rii (not the only reason, but one of them).

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

They'll discontinue the 5D3 in a few months. The 5D2 stuck around for a little while, but it didn't last long after the 5D3 was announced.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Sounds strange. This may not help, but it couldn't hurt to make sure you're running the latest firmware.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I always thought that Canon and Nikon had pretty much the same crappy 18-55 kit zoom. As in, no appreciable difference in quality between the two. Does Nikon have better offerings in this department? The basic Canon 18-55 doesn't seem that great. The 18-135 seems ok for it's range. Are there better options for these types of lenses in Nikon land?

(I've always thought of the Fuji 18-55 as king among apsc kit zooms.)

Fuji's is a $700 lens though. How much are Canon and Nikon's? $100?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

President Beep posted:

Sort of a...speculative question, I guess: Do any of you goons foresee Canon ditching the EF mount anytime in the next few years?

No.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

Well CanonRumours have suggested March...

I believe they rated that C1, which means don't take it seriously yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Canon about to produce a decent mirrorless camera?

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-m50-more-images-and-specifications/