Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
Is it worth installing even if I literally never touch the video option on my camera? 650D if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
Cool, will give it a bash at the weekend.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
I finally pulled the trigger on getting the Canon EF-S 10-22 today and have only now realised that it doesn't come with a lens hood. Is it worth paying the extra money for a Canon hood or are generic Chinese knock off ones indistinguishable?

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
I suspected as much but thought I'd check. Cheers.

Edit: To clarify I bought one and saved myself £20.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
I currently have a 650D which I bought just over a year ago now and am starting to feel like I want to upgrade. I really can't afford the jump to full frame at this point but I'm considering a smaller upgrade to a 60D. I know that it has a far better viewfinder and has better controls but realistically will I see any improvement in image quality or does the fact that Canon keep wheeling out the same sensor mean there'll be no difference?

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
You guys are right, I should definitely save for full frame. I just needed talking down from the impulse buying ledge.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003

erephus posted:

Or save up and buy a used 6D to the summer.

drat. I didn't realise that used 6Ds were less than £1000. I mainly shoot landscapes and architecture stuff so I don't need the bajillion point autofocus on the 5D. The built-in GPS on the 6D however will definitely be useful to me.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM or Tamron SP AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD (for use on a 650D)?

Price difference is about £20 in favour of the Canon but I think I remember the Tamron being recommended in this thread? Anyone got any experience of both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
I'm going on a bouldering trip to Fontainbleu in October with some mates and we're wanting to get some cool video footage of us all climbing. Would the 40mm Pancake be a good choice to buy for the trip? I have a 650D and have literally never touched the video mode on my camera. I'd rather not have to buy a GoPro or anything as I'm pretty broke as it is.