Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I thought maybe I had a bad shutter but I'm glad to see it's not just me. I just upgraded from a T3i to an 80D and I liked the shutter on the T3i better. With the 80D there's no distinct reset on the shutter so if you have it in high speed continuous and don't make a conscious effort to jerk your finger off the shutter if you want a single shot it'll machine-gun a half dozen frames before you realize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

President Beep posted:

How’s the difference in image quality been? I might jump from a T6i to a 70D/80D.

From the T3i it's pretty significantly, particularly in terms of usable ISO range. For my style of shooting(primarily outdoors photo and video) its been a very worthwhile upgrade with the locking mode selection knob, independent aperture and shutter controls, weathersealing, photo/video switch and continuous auto focus for video. The faster frame rate is also too.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Re: RAW file interpretation, I saw this video a couple weeks ago and it might explain a bit about the color variations between files, cameras and editors.

https://youtu.be/AZdzcaaqaeY

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Speaking of crop 24-70ish lenses, anyone have the Sigma Art 18-35/1.8? I've been hovering over the buy button for a week because it looks like a fantastic lens for my 80D on paper and it's priced very attractively. The only downside seems to be no IS but that's not the end of the world. It'd be great if it were 18-55 or so but the Canon 50/1.8 is fine to carry in addition to the Sigma if I got it. Someone put me over the edge.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

If you want that zoom range out to 50mm on a constant aperture zoom, why not look at the 17-50 f/2.8? It's not quite as fast as the 18-35 but it does have IS and it's about $350 new.

I really like the fact that the front element is fixed and everything happens internally since I enjoy shooting outdoors a lot and I have gotten lenses pretty gritty in the past. The 17-50 is intriguing, though.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I ended up buying the Sigma Art 18-35mm 1.8 and boy howdy the stupid thing should come with the USB dock. Mine needed calibration on basically every focal length and distance which was a fiddly pain in the rear end. Now that it's finally set up I'll give it a real trial run this weekend. I'm honestly a little underwhelmed at the moment, though the super short minimum focal distance should be fun. We'll see, though. I also got a Tamron G2 150-600mm that was great out of the box (though I bought the dock for it as well). I enjoy food, landscape and wildlife photography the most so these two lenses should be good additions for those genres.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

EOS RP: Canon gonna Canon
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/mirrorless/eos-rp

No silent mode outside of a Auto-only scene mode, slower continuous FPS than a 80D, gimped video.

Guess when I finally make the jump to a FF body it's gonna be Sony.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

xzzy posted:

80d + tamron 70-200 g2 is a winner combo.

Or the Sigma Art 18-35 1.8 for wider shots

or the 150-600 g2 for wildlife:

Urban Critters by charliebravo77, on Flickr

That said I kinda want a 7d2 or the inevitable 7d3 for real weather sealing.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

The biggest advantage of the crop sensor in my mind is also the extra reach. The top end of my 600mm is the equivalent of 960mm on a full frame and the difference isn't trivial.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

xzzy posted:

A FF user can crop to get the same effect if they wanted.

:v: I hadn't thought about that. I keep trying to tell myself I don't need a FF body and you aren't helping my wallet any :(

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If you are thinking of a 80D for paid work then a 7DmkII will make you v.happy even if it more than a bit long in the tooth these days.

7DmkIII when :sigh:

I think a crop sensor pro body is going to be my next upgrade from my 80D. It's a fantastic camera, but I could do with real weather sealing and higher frame rate.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

xzzy posted:

Speaking of the 7D, rumors are firing up that the line of bodies is dead.

https://www.canonrumors.com/rest-well-canon-eos-7d-series-cr2/

Either to be replaced with a mirrorless version or just straight up killed and an 80d successor takes its place.

So do I scoop up a 7D2 now or wait and see if whatever ends up replacing it is weather sealed? They're going to try and force me into a somehow gimped mirrorless body that's going to need an adapter for EF lenses aren't they.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

jarlywarly posted:

Probably been done to death in here already but...

I want a spare battery for my 80D, a simple task one would think.

It appears my options are thus

£75 genuine Canon battery from Wex etc
£55 "genuine" Canon battery from Amazon (reviews are split on if its genuine or not and I don't trust positive reviews on Amazon)
£~20 knockoffs on Amazon.

What's the play here?

Not sure what the moon dollars conversion is but I've had real good luck with these in my 80D https://amzn.to/309Y13Y

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I've decided I am going to upgrade bodies from my 80D. I primarily shoot wildlife, landscape and documentary style portrait/travel-esque stuff. I definitely want a pro body and a full frame sensor (unless the 7DII gets a replacement before I make a purchase and I'm not really counting the 90D as that). I don't want to leave Canon because I plan to keep my 80D as a second body and I have amassed a collection of quality glass to accompany both the new and old bodies. I'm basically down to making a decision between the 5DIV and the EOS R. I've been going back and forth on specs and reviews and all and I'm kinda at the "just flip a coin" point, unless anyone here has strong feelings as to why I should buy one over the other. I'm kinda leaning towards the EOS R on price and features like the new Face/Eye-AF firmware update, frame rate and some other things, but the 5DIV is a known workhorse so I dunno.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Are there any other good prime lenses for EF-S mount besides the Sigma 30mm?

It's not a prime, but the Sigma Art 18-35/1.8 is a great lens built for APS-C. No IS if that's a concern for video but it's super bright and sharp.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Auron posted:

So tempting...I hear that a lot of Canon cameras have issues focusing with this lens. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Mine definitely needed to be calibrated. Fortunately I bought the USB dock with it knowing it was a likely possibility. Now that it's been done it's great though.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

charliebravo77 posted:

I'm basically down to making a decision between the 5DIV and the EOS R.

Orrrrrrr after handling a couple different Sony A7 versions against the EOS R I'm not sure any more. The Sonys blow Canon out of the water.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Guess I'm not upgrading my 80d until this is confirmed and pricing is out.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And just to add to the 0_0 news,

Canon EOS R6 rumoured Specifications:

20mp full-frame CMOS sensor
IBIS
12fps mechanical and 20fps electronic.
4K @ 60p
New battery (Not sure if it’s the same as the EOS R5)
June 2020 launch (CR thinksMay announce)

Supposably this one is going to be cheaper than the RP

Someone school me on the differences between a 24mp APS-C sensor (80D) and a 20mp full frame sensor. 12-20fps and IBIS sounds fuckin' fantastic for wildlife/action shooting but the 24-20mp potential 'downgrade' on the sensor is maybe a concern? Though I guess the 7D2 is a 20.2mp APS-C sensor and people have been using that just fine for years.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Hmm, yeah the stuff I shoot the most is landscape, documentary-style shots and wildlife, which all are sort of at odds with each other on the FF/crop argument, though I'm not going to buy two new bodies.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

xzzy posted:

Either this body is gonna cost $5k or canon is full on apologizing for piss poor offerings the last several years and are ready to demonstrate they are still relevant.
Come on apology... :f5:

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I'm really looking forward to hopefully getting the R5 whenever things return to some semblance of normal. The camera I've wanted for the past two years finally exists.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Unless the EOS R5 is VERY competitively priced, I think I am going to pick up an EOS R and the RF 24-105/f4 as my first big boy camera upgrade from the 80D. If I am satisfied with f2.8 lenses on an APS-C body, f4 on a full frame should be drat near identical, right (plus better dynamic range and low light performance compared to the 80D sensor)? Or should I just get a Tamron EF 24-70/f2.8 in addition to my 70-200/f2.8? Sorta wanted a 'one lens solution' for outdoorsy stuff (not wildlife) so I don't have to lug a ton of glass around but I dunno.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 16, 2020

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

astr0man posted:

the f/4 L lenses are good, I think you'd be fine w/the 24-105. also don't forget the R6 is coming too

That's true, I had kind of put the R6 out of my mind due to the 20mp sensor rumor, so I guess I should wait and see if that's actually the case. If the R6 is 24-30mp it'll probably be an instant buy.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I'm hopeful it's actually not a 20mp sensor (and in reality is "20mp-ish" like 24/26), but no top screen is a little annoying as I've grown to like it on my 80D. Lesser build quality is a downside too, but if that means "same as the R" then it's probably fine. Wonder if it'll have a joystick or be touchscreen AF point selection like the R. I dunno, I've pretty much resigned myself to be disappointed with the R6 specs and R5 pricing and will buy a R when they hopefully drop in price yet again. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, though.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I'm like 90% onboard with the R6 but I think I'm gonna miss the top screen.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I've never been so excited about being disappointed the following day. Can't fuckin' wait.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Welp, gonna buy a EOS R with 24-105/f4 I guess. $2500 for body alone is a little steep for me, especially with gray market R + lens combos for $2200.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I keep waffling. I think a R6 is in my future, IBIS and 20FPS is just such an upgrade even over the EOS R. I think I can live with 20.1 megapixels. Now to decide whether I want to get a Tamron G2 EF 24-70/2.8 or get the RF 24-105/4. Either way I need an adapter for my existing EF lenses.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

charliebravo77 posted:

I keep waffling. I think a R6 is in my future, IBIS and 20FPS is just such an upgrade even over the EOS R. I think I can live with 20.1 megapixels. Now to decide whether I want to get a Tamron G2 EF 24-70/2.8 or get the RF 24-105/4. Either way I need an adapter for my existing EF lenses.

Or maybe not because I just did our taxes and owe $2600 :suicide:

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

The G2 70-200 would be my favorite lens if I didn't have the Sigma 18-35/1.8.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

quote:

Canon RF 1200mm f/8L IS USM
BRB buying a house so I can take out a second mortgage.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

800peepee51doodoo posted:

So I rented an R6 + EF adapter and just received it yesterday. After some low light shooting of tundra swans last night and some goldeneyes and ruddy ducks on my lunch break today, I can confirm that this camera whips rear end. Holy poo poo the animal eye af is fantastic. I can also confirm that I'm able to get good burst rates with my 500mm F4 mark I. I can't say for sure if its 12fps but its at least as fast as my 7D2 so thats a relief.

I did have similar issues with the AF that xzzy was talking about in their post. Obstructions can confuse it, as well as highlights on water and spots on plumage. Also, it really liked to lock on to mule deer butts which was a lol. But the tracking once it grabbed a ducks eye was astounding. It was able to follow it no matter where the bird turned its head and made look over shoulder shots and preening shots simple. Absolute game changer. Unless I find some major problem in the next week I have this body, I'll be picking up an R6 or R5 asap. C'mon BidenBux!

Do you have any reservations on the 20MP resolution from the R6 with wildlife pics from what you've seen? I'm really itching for an upgrade and as much as I'd like the R5 I don't know if I can stomach it without actually making money from it. Did you miss the top LCD screen? I reference mine on the 80D pretty frequently but maybe I can live without it.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I pre-ordered the R7. I know what I really want is the R5 but I can't stomach the cost as a 95% hobbyist. It's a shame the R and R6 are crippled in their own ways.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 25, 2022

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

brand engager posted:

Anyone had a card crash the camera? I put a microSD & adapter into mine and it would crash every few minutes. Wasn't anything on the card, formatted it with the camera

I've had issues with microSD cards and adapters in cards, biggest of which is that they negatively impact write speed and can get jostled around so that they don't read/write properly. I saw a noticeable performance increase in my 80D when I swapped to a fullsize SD card.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Oh yeah, R7 impressions here from my first couple of days with it. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3462132&pagenumber=53&perpage=40&userid=0#post524998228

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Man this might actually get me to switch to Sony if I go full frame, anticipating eventual Sigma and Tamron RF lenses was a big reason for staying in the Canon universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

quote:

Launching in July, 2024

- SIGMA 18-50mm F2.8 DC DN | Contemporary
Welp, gotta find this for preorder.