Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Depends on what you're doing with it. The 80/2.8 won't focus as fast as the 70/4, and it is (reportedly) noticeably soft when wide open. And it lacks full time MF. I wouldn't go for it unless you really need the extra stops for work purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

casa de mi padre posted:

Is there a list of the "better than Canon" lens options? It feels like a list that somebody would make.

The list doesn't exist because there aren't any :smug:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Seriously though "whichever feels/control better in your hands" should be like 99% of your criteria when picking a brand.

Got my 5DIII/70-200 today. Came with a center-pinch cap :smug:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Haggins posted:

If I were doing food photography at home/ in a "studio" I'd be way more worried about my lighting gear than the camera. ISO and AF (good or none) wouldn't matter to me. Good lighting makes good photos and when you have good lighting the camera doesn't really matter much. If that is indeed what you're doing, you'll get far better results investing in lighting and maybe a new lens or two.

On the other hand, I can't blame you for wanting to upgrade the Xt, that thing is ancient. I'd vote for 6d since a lot of the 5d3 features won't matter to you.

Yeah there's no real reason to take the 5D II/III over the 6D for food photography.

Hell only reasons I would take the 5D III over the 6D in any case would be photojournalism, video, or sports photography.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

gently caress me, the Autofocus on the Mk 3 really owns

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

CF Cards are used because they are faster and, more importantly, far far less prone to data corruption than SD cards.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

harperdc posted:

Just be sure you buy stuff that's fast. Class 10 is the fastest you can get SD cards (...right?) so look for the circular logo on the front/label of the card. A cheap 64 gig card is nice until you realize it's class 4 and won't handle video or a large buffer of photos terribly well.

And buy your cards from reputable sources. No ebay, no craigslist. Buy it brand new, from a well-reviewed retailer, lest you get stuck with some hacked Chinese poo poo.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

So I've been using my 7D long enough now, and am just curious: does anyone else find that it completely over exposes outside? I swear every time I step outside I'm shooting at -1 EV just so everything isn't blown out. I have auto lighting optimizer turned off. Maybe I should try a different metering mode?

Which metering mode are you using?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

The default - evaluative. I know what the other modes do, I'm just not sure they fit the way I use my camera. (maybe I need to change the way I use my camera, or keep doing -1 EV.)

Try center-weighted for a while. Or learn to use exposure lock with partial/spot.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Every time I think "This Mk 3 isn't THAT much better than the Mk 2, I think I'll sell it" I go out and shoot with it :smithicide:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's a bit more work but just but if you've got the time, just buy the lens you want to rent used and sell it when you're done :confused: In the end it costs you nothing??? I've done it a few times.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

flummox posted:

For the record, the 5d is still an excellent camera for the money. It doesn't have the ridiculous low-light capabilities of the later iterations, it doesn't do video and the AF is - shall we say - stately. But within its limits (below iso 800, stationary or slow-moving subjects) the image quality will pretty much destroy anything else your $500 can buy. Think of it as it as a very, very good film camera that never needs reloading.

As someone who owns all 3 iterations of the 5D, the 5DC is still a wonderful camera, and I don't think I'll ever sell it. The 5DC w/ the nifty 50 is my "goes literally everywhere with me" camera.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I guess to be fair about the 5DC, had I taken this image the other night with my Mk II or III, it probably would have been stunning. As it is, it's just OK. Something like the NEX-5N would have taken a much nicer picture in this situation, most likely.

That said, the fact that it's a $500 camera and a loving tank is the reason it's my every-day kickaround.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

ShotgunWillie posted:

It's a bit out of my price range. The 70-300 is pushing it, but I'm willing to stretch if I find it compelling enough. I like the reach, but not the relatively poor aperture. Reverse that for the 70-200.

Really, the 70-200 does not have the reach required to shoot wildlife (especially birds) on an FF camera. Get the 70-300, or a 300/400mm prime. I shoot with the 70-200 almost every day. It's a wonderful lens, but it's not made to do the job you're looking to do.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Mathturbator posted:

I've been away from this game for about a year, so I'm not up to date on anything.
Is the 5DIII a worthy upgrade from a 5DII?

Since nobody has actually answered your drat question:

Yes, it is a huge leap up. The AF is truly incredible, as is the low light performance and video (both out of the box, and even moreso modified with Magic Lantern).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'm in the process of selling my 5D Mk III, and I've got someone who is interested in it (via email) saying they want my serial number because a number of 5D3s came from the factory "potentially damaged" and that Canon released a list of the affected serial numbers.

I'm not going to give them my serial either way, I'm just curious if the whole 'factory damaged 5D3s and serial number list' thing is real or not.

Edit: Some research turns up a light-leak issue with certain cameras in the first batches, that must be what they're referring to.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 7, 2014