Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yep. The 5D3 has done something similar in the last 12 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

For as little time I spend actually using my gear, I might as well start buying broken stuff. I'd hardly be able to tell the difference.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Canon just bumped their refurbished warranty from 90 days to a year.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Wario In Real Life posted:

So as a complete hobbyist / newbie, what's the better prime?

Canon EF 35mm F/2 at $299 or a Sigma 30mm F1.4 at $399

Or are there better deals to be had on either of those?
40mm f/2.8 pancake :getin:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

EOS 6D ($1599) and the EF 24-70 f/2.8L II ($1839) just hit the refurb store.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

What's the significance of it hitting refurb store?
It's like-new gear at eBay pricing with a year warranty. Also Canon Loyalty Program knocks it down another 10-20%.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Headhunter posted:

Is it worth paying the extra money for a Canon hood or are generic Chinese knock off ones indistinguishable?
The latter.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

force enable AF confirmation on manual lenses, since Canon's not going to add it for whatever dumb reason.
What does this mean? Like the selected focus points will light up red when they're focused on a manual lens?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

So if you're using the camera's focus confirmation on a chipped manual lens, would there actually be value in doing a focus calibration at that point?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nah just save until you can afford this guy:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561308

edit: oh snap that's the IS version. That's a crazy price.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Did you guys break the releases on your 5D3 eyecup or something? You should have to pinch both sides to get it to slide off. Mine has little give and I have no fears about losing it accidentally.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Canon announced the EF-S 55-250 STM today. Evidence suggests that their plan for EF-S for the next few years is just refresh every lens with STM and call it a day.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I learned with my 20D to make an image of the CD as soon as I received it, and then put it back in the box. I've done the same with my 7D and 5DIII, though I haven't actually installed the software in years.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The three IS USM primes that Canon put out last year just got price drops:

The EF 35mm f/2 IS USM is now $599, down from $789.
The EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM is now $549, down from $649.
The EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM is now $599, down from $699.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Some more Canon price drops:

The EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM is now $879, down from $1049. (Refurbished is now only $703)
The EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM is now $649, down from $759.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

You're really telling me no one ever wants to stop action or takes pictures of their kid playing music at church (where flash isn't appropriate), or whatever?
I don't think most people understand that the lens affects anything other than "zoom". They'll end up complaining "my camera doesn't take good action or low-light shots" instead of trying to get a lens with a wider aperture.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Some surprising lenses hit the refurb store that I've never seen on there before:

TS-E 24mm II, 300mm f/2.8L IS II, and 400mm f/4L DO:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses-speedlites

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

And a joystick, for that easy selection of AF points.
That would require more than 1 usable AF point.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Haha good one! SoundMonkey reading the Canon thread. :allears:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's a new OS X Canon-compatible shutter count app on the Mac App Store for $1.99. Assuming it is updated as new models come out, it beats paying EOSCount multiple times.

• Canon EOS-1D X
  • Canon EOS 5D Mark II
  • Canon EOS 5D Mark III
  • Canon EOS 6D
  • Canon EOS 7D
  • Canon EOS 60D
  • Canon EOS 70D
  • Canon EOS 100D / Rebel SL1
  • Canon EOS 600D / Rebel T3i / Kiss X5
  • Canon EOS 650D / Rebel T4i / Kiss X6i
  • Canon EOS 700D / Rebel T5i
  • Canon EOS 1100D / Rebel T3 / Kiss X50
I'll probably buy it when I get home, if I remember. Though I'm a little afraid to know just how little I use my expensive camera equipment. :ohdear:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There's a new OS X Canon-compatible shutter count app on the Mac App Store for $1.99. Assuming it is updated as new models come out, it beats paying EOSCount multiple times.

I'll probably buy it when I get home, if I remember. Though I'm a little afraid to know just how little I use my expensive camera equipment. :ohdear:
The verdict is in:

I've had it for a year. :blush:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

So let's see: I think that's about 1% of the 5D III's rated shutter life, so I'll need to get the shutter repaired in about 100 years. :haw:

1st AD posted:

Jesus christ man, why even buy something if you're not going to use it?
Now I just feel worse about the ~$8,000 I've probably spent on lenses, filters, and other accessories.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

Are you just a hobbyist or what?
I ended up answering this a few months ago, actually:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No I'm just overpaid, not married yet, and I switched expensive hobbies from PC gaming to photography a few years back since L-glass holds its value a hell of a lot more than a video card that gets replaced in the market every 6 months. I don't end up with much time for hobbies anyway right now since I work ~50 hours a week and go to school full-time, but that won't stop me from buying toys. If it wasn't camera gear, it would probably be cars or something. At least my more artistically gifted friends get to borrow nice gear. I also frequently unload stuff at Crazy Gideon prices on SA-Mart, so I guess the community benefits. :)

I think my hobby really just boils down to being more interested in the technical side of the photography rather than the artistic side. That's not to say I don't appreciate photography as an art; I love going to exhibits and seeing all of the creative stuff people come up with online. I'm just not very good at it and don't have the time to fully invest myself in the hobby. I suppose that would classify me more as a camera enthusiast. If I had any less sense, I'd probably be one of those guys over at POTN listing all of the gear I own pretending anyone else even gives a drat.

I'd love for my current job's exposure to embedded systems to someday allow me to do something like ARM firmware development for Canon's camera bodies, but I believe all of that engineering is done in Japan. I know they have some engineering presence in New York, but I don't know in what capacity.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Unfortunately, I think most of Canon's engineering presence in the US is due to research, not firmware development.
Yeah all of their firmware engineering and image processing stuff is done in Japan, unfortunately.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Keep in mind that list is from Canon Watch who basically just make poo poo up.

Nice wish list though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

New 5D Mark III firmware:
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the flash may not fire depending on the timing of when the shutter button is pressed.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the AF microadjustment value may change.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor may show a line of false color along boundaries of high contrast.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the histogram of a LiveView image is incorrectly displayed when an HDMI cable is connected.
  • Enables the brightness of the camera’s LCD monitor to be adjusted even when an HDMI cable is connected.
Can't say I've come across any of these issues (insert joke about how my camera never gets used anyway) but hey new firmware. :)

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 30, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

IanTheM posted:

All these patents are pretty misleading to read about, because Canon is presumably constantly going down failed design paths and experimenting anyway.
Keep in mind that you're going to see a lot more red herring patents now. The US just switched from a first to invent to a first to file system, so companies are gonna file on a bunch of poo poo they might not end up using just to be safe. In the past they could just show that they invented it first, even if someone else beat them to the patent.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

http://www.canon-ci.co.kr/microsite/event/201311/index.jsp

Announcement coming soon. Silhouette suggests a dial on the wide side of the body, so it'll probably a 750D/T6i. :saddowns:
Canon Japan says it's a white Kiss.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

drat near every refurbished lens is in stock right now:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/ProductListingViewAll_10051_10051_-1_244768

Oddly enough, they de-list some when they're out of stock rather than listing it and showing the grayed out "Add to cart" button. I've never understood that. The TS-E 24mm II is notably absent. I think they remove some during sale events.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Canon refurbished is doing a Cyber Monday sale and some of the prices are nuts.

The TS-E 24mm II for $1495 is already gone, as are the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II for $1699 and 5D III for $2719. Who knows if they'll refresh any stock today, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 2, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Canon Japan announced the EOS M2.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=8484

It's a bit smaller, adds Wi-Fi, and is a bit faster in both burst rate and AF speed. Also there's no word of a US release.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 3, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

For all of you 7D shooters who own the Wi-Fi adapter (nobody) there's a new firmware out that resolves some corner case issue.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

Good job comparing new prices for the sigma with used prices for the canon. Nothing like throwing apples at oranges, nope.
"Used" for the 24-105 is something of a misnomer, since the vast majority of them on the third-party market are unused lenses split from the 5DIII kit.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Every now and then Canon releases a batch of refurb lenses through their online store. I think the last time they did the 10-22 was around $450 but they vaporized instantly.
It's there right now at $519.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You guys are really making me reconsider posting my 17-40 f/4L in the gear thread. I was all set to put it up for sale this week since I never use it, but now I'm back to wondering if it doesn't hurt to just leave a wide-angle in my bag.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mathturbator posted:

How do you cope with the fact that you can't see the red AF confirnation blinks in daylight? Me, I've enabled the beep confirmation, so I sound like it's babby's first camera.
AI Servo.

edit: I suppose that snarky answer needs a bit of expansion. I've not had issues with AF confirmation visibility in daylight because my 5D III is always in AI Servo. If I switch to manual focus for a set shot (landscape, stars, product photography, etc.) then I'll just use Live View by zooming in on the area I want in focus. The viewfinder never factors into the equation for focus confirmation -- just framing.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 2, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bizzaro Quik posted:

Does canon regularly run sales like they did during the holidays? I was in the market for a 70-200 2.8 IS II, but was hoping to get it at a better price. Worth holding out for?
They seem to do a quarterly 15% off sale on the refurb store. If you're asking about rebates on the new stuff, then yeah they do those about every 6 months, I think.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Please don't post dumb April fool's day jokes.
Please have a sense of humor.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Drewski posted:

Is there any good reason not to buy the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II refurbished? I see it on Canon's site as in stock for $1839. I am so tempted to buy that RIGHT NOW.
Also, while their refurbished prices are appealing, if you can wait for what you want then you can usually get 15% off of refurbished prices with their sales that take place roughly every quarter. One just ended a couple of weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Restricted to a Canon system, I assume?