Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Odette posted:

Basically just side-by-side pictures of the two
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Camera-Back-Comparison.aspx
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Camera-Top-Comparison.aspx
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Camera-Side-Comparison.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

timrenzi574 posted:

/Expensive Options
Sigma 20mm 1.4
Sigma 24mm 1.4
Sigma 24-35
You forgot the stellar TS-E 24mm II.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

timrenzi574 posted:

True that. Also an excellent choice if you want to step into the /Really Expensive Options bracket
Well, it's less than the Zeiss they were looking at, especially refurbished! :v:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

windex posted:

But, you have cheaper options.
Like a cheap, used 17-40 F4L.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

akadajet posted:

And have mercy on my wallet....

please :(
How does $3600 sound?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

dakana posted:

I can't imagine it'll actually be 9fps like Canon Rumors alleges, but god drat would it rule if it was.
Maybe I've been out of the loop on Canon stuff for too long, but that doesn't seem that unrealistic if the new 1DX II is pushing 14 fps (16 in Live View) and the 4 year-old 5D III was already at 6 fps.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Wait until Canon Professional Services shows off their inventory for the Olympics.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Wait until Canon Professional Services shows off their inventory for the Olympics.
Told you guys. Getty Images ain't got poo poo on CPS. Here's their "Depot Room" for the Olympics from a press release today:

They have 70 technicians there too.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

the event that spreads zika to the entire planet
Erm, about that...

xzzy posted:

the best photography gear humanity can produce
About that too...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

dakana posted:

I bet people will be upset about the 4K only being motion jpeg, though.
Only internal recording as well, if I'm understanding the press release correctly?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bubbacub posted:

The more I think about it, the more appealing the M5 sounds. It'd be nice to have a compact body that can still use my nice lenses.
If it had been out a year earlier then I would have strongly considered it instead of a switch to Fuji. There's no going back for me now, though.

edit: Though if I'd been adapting all of my full-frame glass, I wouldn't really have ended up with a more compact package. Hm. I'd probably still have landed on Fuji now that I think about it.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 23, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

prompt posted:

I have a 5DSR and am thinking about picking up a new lens for shooting while I'm traveling or out with friends. Right now I use a Canon 17-40mm F/4L but I want something with a larger aperture. Thinking the Canon 35mm f/1.4L, not sure if I can justify the extra cash on the newer version.
You have a $4000 50MP body (specifically the variant with low-pass filter cancellation to resolve even more fine detail) and you're using the cheapest L-glass that Canon doesn't even list as recommended for use with that sensor.

Spend some money on quality glass for a sensor of that resolution.

edit: The Sigma 35 performs very well against Canon's 35 mark II and seems like a good "budget" choice if that's wide enough for you. I usually don't get caught up in DxOMark stuff, but presumably that body was purchased for extreme pixel resolution at which point you need to get glass to support it. Otherwise just switch to a different Canon full-frame body (5DIV) and get more dynamic range, higher ISO support, etc. — the 5Ds R is wasted on average lenses.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 10, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thin Privilege posted:

the Marks are crop sensors? did I read that right?
"the Marks" doesn't really make sense. Mark I, Mark II, etc. just represent iterations in a specific product line. Trying to generalize anything (especially with respect to sensor size) by looking at "Mark" doesn't make sense when "the Marks" exist in full-frame (5D) and crop (7D) product lines.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 28, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bubbacub posted:

Has anyone tried the M5? I'm interested in a more compact body for hiking and macro work, but it's kinda pricey.
"compact body with all of my nice full-frame glass" sounds nice in theory, but for me it wouldn't have saved a significant amount of weight/size to make it worth it. When hiking the glass still made up the majority of bulk, and an APS-C mirrorless body plus adapter doesn't make significant enough of a size improvement. If you're lugging a 1D body or you have small full-frame glass then maybe there's a benefit, but for most setups adapting full-frame glass to mirrorless defeats the purpose to me. There's no perfect setup, so it all comes down to what you're willing to sacrifice. I just think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you try to bring a bunch of heavy full-frame glass to a setup that you're trying to make compact.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thin Privilege posted:

What about this? Good? Or do you think the discount isn't worth it? It's only $140 so I'm a bit iffy.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-5d-mark-iii-body-refurbished
You've never actually said what you want to do besides own a full-frame sensor Canon body, so sure?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thin Privilege posted:

Take good pictures?
You don't necessarily need full-frame for that.

Do you have lenses already?

Edit: sorry if I'm being short with you but your questions have been really vague so far so it's difficult to assess what body fits your needs without knowing what glass/accessories you have, what subjects you're shooting and where (studio, etc.). I also immediately :rolleyes: at anyone whose number one feature request is "full frame" without explaining why.

Thin Privilege posted:

And just to triple check, EF-S is the bad one, right?
There are good ones and not so good ones, like most lens lineups. For your desires though: EF-S are not full-frame lenses so you don't want those if you're dead set on a full-frame body.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 1, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

windex posted:

The EOS Ms with the small full frame primes aren't too bad. E.g. the 35mm f2, 50 f1.8. With L glass weight it's retarded though.
Right, which is why I specifically mentioned that it might make sense with small full-frame glass.

windex posted:

You'd be better off buying a M mount adapter and Voigtlander glass if you wanted to shave prices off the tiny lenses. But no AF.
Hey you don't have to tell me. I figured out long ago that if I wanted a more compact setup then trying to Frankenstein my full-frame glass onto an APS-C body made no sense. I happily ditched it all. :)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

If you're used to the 5D Mark II's autofocus performance and want to adapt other types of lenses anyway, I'd go with a refurbished 6D over a refurbished 5D Mark III. You lose some autofocus performance (closer to 5D Mark II), some controls (AF point joystick, buttons), a CF card slot (SDHC only), a bit of burst rate (4.5 fps vs 6), and a couple megapixels of resolution (20 vs 22). You gain WiFi, GPS, better low-light autofocus, less weight, and save a ton of money.

Unless you're shooting action/sports, I'd say skip the 5D III in favor of the 6D and invest the savings in other stuff.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 1, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

How much did you pay for art school?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Erwin posted:

Sell your Nikon lenses and buy Canon lenses.
Also this because I went back to look at the list and realized that they're all crop lenses anyway and she's fixated on a full-frame body. I realize funds aren't limitless and every penny counts (especially if you're dead set, perhaps misguidedly, on full-frame) but I feel like Thin Privilege is still approaching this whole new camera thing completely wrong and making this way more difficult than it needs to be.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

InFlames235 posted:

Any other recommendations or thoughts from people who have done travel photography like this with their DSLR?
Switch to mirrorless. :haw:

evil_bunnY posted:

Keep the 50 for portraits, get 35IS or a 24STM
I loved the 35/2 IS as my only lens when I travelled, although that was on a FF camera. 24 STM sounds like a nice solution for a crop body. At that price it's practically disposable.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

InFlames235 posted:

I dunno, mirrorless is lighter but not THAT much lighter - especially with a big lense ;)
You're asking for travel lens recommendations while simultaneously trying to future-proof for full-frame (which seems misguided to me at this point, especially with cheap options like the 24 STM). I've found that for travel I much prefer going the opposite direction to APS-C mirrorless. To each their own, just recommending you keep an open mind and not become too invested in a format until you know the realities. I ultimately hated traveling with full-frame gear.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 5, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

InFlames235 posted:

it looks like the new 16-35 has USM. Isn't that the same as IS?
USM refers to the motor for autofocus -- they're typically faster and quieter. IS is image stabilization that will allow longer exposure times for hand-held shots.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nice! Make with the cat pictures!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3201527&pagenumber=5448#lastpost

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

sup cat

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Only edit I'd make is between the 80d and the 7D2. The tradeoffs between the two are so tight, you gotta think hard about what you really want out of your camera.
What about the EOS M5? Is it just not a good value proposition? It was my understanding that they finally managed to make a mirrorless camera that wasn't poo poo and had similar performance to the 80D.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

35mm f/2 IS made my 5D3 more convenient to carry over the 24-70, but I still eventually went mirrorless. :)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

It's important to realise what the difference is between 'auto-HDR' on your phone and 'auto-HDR' in a DSLR is however. On your phone, the camera software is applying a whole bunch of edits to a single image to boost contrast, clarity and saturation. This isn't HDR, it just makes the image pop and looks similar to the result you would get from a proper HDR composite.
Most phone auto-HDR solutions are using multiple exposures.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

akadajet posted:

Not sure why they make the 5D's button so mushy.
Probably more robust weather sealing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

But now that I do have a EF lens, I might as well upgrade to a full frame body.
It begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

And in any case it usually holds the value well.
Yeah at my peak I think I had over $10,000 tied up in L glass and got equal or more than what I paid for it when I dumped the system due to price increases from Canon and still having all of the boxes and such. The bodies were the only things that depreciated over the years with the system.