Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Every lens is a compromise. "Better" is different for everyone. A good example is the new Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC. Nearly equals the new Canon 24-70L II optically, yet adds VC and a cheaper build for half the price. For some, this lens is better than the Canon.

The Sigma 35F1.4~ART~ is the poster child for "better than Canon" lenses; It's worth noting that if you're into manual focus, the Samyang 35mm f1.4 is also as good if not better than the Canon 35L optically. However both have cheaper builds and I hear the Sigma's AF is slower?

Anyways, horses for courses etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Looks like a good lens for video.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Huxley posted:

As a bargain hunting beginner, how much would I be giving up getting a used 400D vs a T2i? Bodies on eBay for the 400 run around $150 and for the T2i around $350. I assume kit lenses aren't worth the $50-100 difference, right?

T2i has what is basically Canon's current gen 18mp crop sensor, found in Cameras like the 7D ($1k) and 60D ($700).

400D has no movie mode, no live view, uses more expensive CF cards, 3 stops less ISO sensitivity, 10MP vs 18MP etc etc

Not worth it!

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Huxley posted:

I never considered the older XXDs. The OP calls the 20D a solid camera, and body/bateries/charger sets seem to hover around $100. The 40D sets seem to go around $300, which is looks like in the OP is the next reasonable step up.

20D is solid but still fairly outdated at this point. Now days I would go either 40D or 50D. T2i on the Rebel side.

for quick feature reference use snapsort.com

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

bisticles posted:

I use Gimp. I mean, sure Photoshop has a lot more features, but sometimes you don't need all those bells and whistles.

I find that all you need to craft a compelling image is hart, otherwise they are destined for the undertaker. But in the end, nobody is Mr. Perfect.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Pinj

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

The Dorkroom: Did you know that hello.NEF is actually a TIFF?!

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Someone tell me the 6D is junk and I don't want it. I hate being poor at the moment.

I got your back.

Refurb Nikon D600 is the camera you want.
Cheaper
more focus points
more megapickles
more SD slots
more dynamic range
built-in wireless flash control
higher sync speed

or maybe you're loyal to Canon. Ok, then get a 5Dmk2.
cheaper
higher max shutter
higher sync
more metal
better video
better VF
CF is faster than SD

Comedy Fuji X-E1 option
cheaper
sweet primes

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

1st AD posted:

The 5Dmk2 does NOT have better video than the 6D. Though everything else about it is a lot better, especially the construction and how it feels in your hand. The 6D also has built-in wireless control, even though it was flaky as hell to use (with the Android app at least).

D600 would be my bet (I own one of these) and the dynamic range is pretty insane. Plus you get 2 high speed SD card slots.

I've been eyeballing a switch to Nikon ever since the first D600 rumors surfaced, but I chickened out on dropping 1.6 kilo bucks on a body and having to start over on everything else.

So I bought a 5Dmk1 heh.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Japanese manufacturer can't code its way out of a wet paperbag? SURELY YOU JEST

haha it's so true. Even Japanese software companies have difficulty producing functional software.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

xzzy posted:

This is true for every company regardless of nationality. Bad code isn't dependent on skin color. :colbert:

I could probably count the number of organizations that consistently produce quality software on one hand. And even the ones I could name have had crippling bugs on a few occasions.

Sorry that you felt the need to add the skin color comment, but what I am referring to is the well known phenomenon of Japan, and Asia in general, being behind the west in the software and security industries.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Just bought my first full frame camera, a used 5D (mk1? classic?).

Here is a cat picture:

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Call me when half the photodiodes have ND filters on them resulting in insane 20 stop dynamic range.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

mclifford82 posted:

Am I correct that only Canon speedlites are compatible with the additional speedlite controls such as 2nd curtain sync?
2nd curtain sync is a body thing and can be turned on regardless of the flash attached. Other features like TTL, HSS, Wireless etc are dependent on the flash. Not necessarily Canon brand, but Canon compatible.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

It's not just the quantity of noise, but the quality. On my older Rebel, high ISO produced repeating patterned bands of noise which is a problem even for B&W conversions.

Newer cameras I find will produce a better, more film like high ISO noise, which is way more manageable.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

Yeah this is something that can only be accomplished via chip. Software will never be able to do that- but live view focus peaking can handle it.

Incorrect. Nikons do just fine without a chip. The chip is only there to tell the camera that there is a lens attached, and for some reason the Canons won't AF confirm without it.

Shmoogy posted:

Nikon Samyang lenses are chipped, if you don't feel okay doing it yourself you can buy Nikon and an adapter.

Doesn't matter if the Samyang is chipped or not. As soon as you slap an adapter on it, it's adapter that needs to have a chip. Thankfully they are cheap and plentiful on eBay.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Uh, what. How is the camera supposed to know what's in focus if you're using a manual lens?

Shmoogy posted:

Are you telling me that the camera can know if its in focus without electronics, but is limited through software alone? I don't see how that's possible, but I'm definitely interested in knowing how if it is because that's awesome, and truly weird that they'd place such an arbitrary limitation in the camera.

Though the magic of...the same way a camera autofocuses with any other lens: Phase detection through the lens onto an AF sensor. And yes it is a weird arbitrary limitation of Canon cameras.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

So if you're using the camera's focus confirmation on a chipped manual lens, would there actually be value in doing a focus calibration at that point?

Disclaimer: anecdotal.

I don't have any bodies that do MFA, but the nuts over at Fred Miranda mention MF adjust on manual lenses to get the focus confirm beep just so.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

Apparently I was wrong on all facets of this, sorry.

I felt bad quoting you three time in that post :p

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

I thought MFA is supposed to compensate inaccuracies in the focusing mechanism. If PD AF, as evil bunny says, samples once and then tells the lens where to focus, I suppose that's when MFA comes into play. As in, the camera telling the lens to focus at 5ft, but Sigma being assholes have too high of tolerances during manufacturing, it actually focuses at 5.5ft even tho its electronics think it's at 5ft.

If that's indeed the case, MFA would actually gently caress with your manual focusing when relying on confirmation.--edit: That didn't make sense.

You are probably right. Like I said it was anecdotal, I'm not exactly sure how MFA would affect a fully manual lens. In theory a fully manual lens would be dead accurate since everything is just going through the lens and there's no back and forth "move 4ft front, ok now 2ft back, ok good" happening.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Eh, my 5Dc has AF and high ISO noise no worse than my 600D. Worth it for for the overall image quality and handling improvements. As for video, the wife's Nikon j1 does a fine enough job of that for my purposes.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Graniteman posted:

Clipping is one of the main things that bugs me when shooting, and I do feel like I'd notice that additional leeway.

Same. Being able expose for the sky and then adjust the rest without getting a face full of digital noise would be great.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Slightly less shameful prices.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

If you want to get really nit picky, DPreview actually measured an INcrease of shadow noise from the 40D to 50D due to the smaller photosites. :p

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

The Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 is a crop lens and won't cover a full frame sensor, even though it will physically mount on a full frame camera. Unlike canon branded crop lenses which won't let you do that because of the EF-S mount.

I tried it on my 5D and got a hard vignette at all apertures and focal lengths.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Tamron or sigma 28-70/24-70 etc

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I really like my 5D. Coming from a new crop body to an old FF body has it's challenges though. No auto ISO, no live view, no video, dodgy auto WB, crappy LCD, metering feels more erratic.

That being said, the thing is a tank and outperforms my "modern" crop body in raw image quality quite easily. Handling is great, nice and simple. Great viewfinder, etc etc. No matter what I end up buying after this, I think I will keep it forever.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Plus you lose 1/8000, and get a slower flash sync, if those things matter to you at all.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Also the Pentax K-5 IIs, and soon the Sony A7r mirrorless.

Also, the Pentax K-3, and all Fuji x-trans sensor cameras.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

For the same money he can get a better camera, show him a used T2i.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

doctor 7 posted:

Hopped on a Photoprice.ca group buy special of a EOS 6D body w/ 24-105mm for $2,400 shipped with tax.

Finally getting into that sweet, sweet full frame.

Is there a saneal camera where you live? These have been $1699/2249 in store for the past couple weeks.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

doctor 7 posted:

I live in Canada so that's the cheapest I've seen it, including taking into account ordering from the US (which even with shipping fees/duties can be cheaper).

That site's showing $2400 before tax for me though.

They're only in Calgary I guess. They're kinda sketchy though and give prices lower than MAP in-store.

*edit*
I should add that Saneal sucks and I only use them to price match at the camera store I actually like (literally called The Camera Store). I did this last week to get a 5d3 kit for $3699.

Mightaswell fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 30, 2013

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

My sigma 35 is so good I rarely take it off. Wide open Av mode with Auto ISO is like easy mode for awesome photographs of kids around the house.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Headhunter posted:

I currently have a 650D which I bought just over a year ago now and am starting to feel like I want to upgrade. I really can't afford the jump to full frame at this point but I'm considering a smaller upgrade to a 60D. I know that it has a far better viewfinder and has better controls but realistically will I see any improvement in image quality or does the fact that Canon keep wheeling out the same sensor mean there'll be no difference?

Well considering the 60D came out even before the 600D did, you definitely won't be seeing any image quality improvement.

What you do get is a decent sized grip, better build, second control wheel, better AF (I think), nicer brighter viewfinder etc. if that worth it to you then go for it. There's like 3 60Ds for sale right now in the buy/sell thread so you could get a pretty good price on one I bet.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

rcman50166 posted:

All lenses should have a moniker. You know, like fighter jets.

Like the Tamron "angry bees" 17-50, or the the 18-200 "morbidly obese tourist"

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Haggins posted:

The lenses are made for crop so I'm guessing the sensor would have to crop itself or you'd get massive vignetting. If I spend the money on a high end camera I'd rather not have to rely on any work arounds.

Haggins posted:

Lenses that would still require adapters. I don't think it's too much to ask for a full frame system with those 3 lenses available for purchase.

I'm sure they're working on it, it'll just take a couple years.

There's a first party A mount AF adapter and there are zillions of full frame A mount AF lenses are you high?

That being said it'd be nice if Sony wasn't so loving useless at lens lineups.

Mightaswell fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 13, 2014

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

A COMPUTER GUY posted:

I shoot with a T3i now and I basically have no reason to upgrade unless I'm going to go to a 5d3 or a 6D. I don't care about the new crop bodies at all.

I went T3i > 5Dc, then decided I did in fact miss video and went 5D3.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

A COMPUTER GUY posted:

:smith: Fuji looks so tempting sometimes.

e:

Did you see an improvement in IQ going from T3i to 5Dc? I would have figured that you wouldn't.

Oh my god yes (IMO). Colors, noise (yes all the way up to 3200) were better than the t3i. T3i had more megapixels but I never really noticed.

The other feature I really missed was auto ISO. And now that I have a 5D3 I miss the interchangeable screen of the 5Dc haha.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

5DII takes CF cards, has the joystick, made of metal...

I would probably pick the 6D for the slightly better AF and wacky remote shooting options.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I haven't really broken an slr of any sort, but metal wears nicely and dents, rather than cracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Yeah I hate on Canon quite a bit, but the 7D is the D300 nikon never got, and the 7D2 will be the D400 Nikon will never get.