Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The 5D2 results aren't fair, tho. It doesn't have an IR filter anymore, and a lot of the noise is red. Makes me glad I have the 6D, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I've been thinking giving Sigma's track record with the new set of lenses, and the attempt of maximizing apertures, see the 18-35/1.8, and especially if the 24-70mm/2.0 rumor turns out true, them making a 50mm/1.0 would be cool.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So riddle me this: If ISO expansion in the camera hardware is done by an analog amplifier, why the hell don't camera manufacturers just amplify it up to maximum ISO, sample the voltages and store it in floating point format, then let the RAW converter scale it back down to intended ISO/exposure? The only reason the dual ISO stuff needs to be done is because the values get clipped somewhere in the process of reading out the signal.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 13, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm not saying that people should shoot at ISO 3200. I'm saying that the camera hardware should amplify the signal as much as it can without screwing with accuracy and store a multiplicator in the RAW file telling any converter how to deal with the signal. Dividing a signal, taken at say an internal ISO 1600, by 16 gives you ISO 100 with a lot of dynamic range towards the shadows.

Sony/Nikon are probably doing something like this. Given they seem to be two stops better than Canon, they're probably shooting at 4x the ISO, if it falls within the sensor range, and reduce the resulting signal. I doubt that their sensors are that much more magically better than what Canon has.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There were rumors about Sigma making an Art series 135mm/1.8.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Seamonster posted:

Where's the ART 50mm 1.4, yo?
Art 50mm/1.0 please!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Canon's working on a Foveon style sensor. That's the only thing known. When it'll be released and whether it'll bring improvements on the DR, who knows. They're probably also waiting for some Foveon patents to run out.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I suppose Canon's working on increasing the dynamic range on their sensors after all. If I understand the linked patent even just remotely, they've patented a way to read out a pixel at different amplifications (i.e. dual ISO, except on each pixel instead of alternating scanline pairs):

http://www.google.com/patents/US20130206961

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

7D2 is very likely getting the same sensor as the 70D. If you expect mad DR, forget it. The chances that it'll act as primer for some new sensor tech, that's been patented recently, are rather slim.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I rather want to know whether that 24-70mm f/2.0 is going to happen or not. Gonna be a rather big lens, if so.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Menus are mostly the same, no touch on the 6D, and I think neither on the 5D3.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

As the saying goes, the best camera in the world is the one you have with you. So I'm not sure I'd hold off buying the 6D just in case you might be able to buy the 5D3 at some unknown time in the future.
The 5D3 has practically only 1/8000th shutter and the million AF points over the 6D. Unless you reaaaaaaaaaally need those, the 6D is a perfectly viable option.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I guess so, but on the other hand, the 97% coverage saved a bunch of my spontaneous shots that didn't leave me with time to frame properly.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

For light painting you don't need the low light advantage of a fullframe sensor, since you'll be stopping things down regardless. As for astrophotography, you don't necessarily need the low light advantage, since people have been doing that with APS-C sensor just fine.

On the other hand, said low light advantage is pretty handy if you want to shoot with short shutter times at night.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If you can live with recomposing and/or want to trust the few surrounding AF points (which are grouped pretty close to the center, anyway), go for the 6D. Everyone's yapping about the 5D3, but it's also over a grand more expensive.

I have a 6D and am happy with it. Sure, 61 crosstype AF points would be nice, but personally they weren't worth a 1000€ more. Also, going with the 6D, you can change the focusing screens without breaking out a set of screwdrivers. For some reason, Canon figured the 5D3 doesn't need that anymore with the new AF system. So if you want to focus manually with fast glass, you'll be hosed.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That drat Satyr posted:

The idea is that I'm trying to mentally talk myself out of the "just buy the 70D because you need a better camera right now" and wait and save up and buy the 5DM3 sometime after Christmas or something.
Part of the con for going with the 5DM3 is that I would have to replace a lot of lenses, which really I can't afford to do quickly...
If you don't need the trillion AF points, go with the 6D and have some money left in the budget to replace lenses. If you're using your 40D and T3 and don't feel like your AF system is crapping all over your photos, and you're not shooting sports or other high speed action, going with the 5D3 treads more on GAS grounds than anything.

Because really, the major differentiator between the 5D3 and 6D is the autofocus. And the fancy 61 points don't help you take pictures, if they're all activated and just hunt for what's closest. If you end up juggling the joystick all day long to select AF points, you can just focus and recompose to begin with.

On the prices quoted earlier, there's nearly 1500$ between the two, which would be a pretty nice advance on a 24-70mm/2.8L II or whatever else you might want.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Any are certain Canon lenses white, anyway?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Where outside Verviers (hope it ain't Eupen)? If you're in Germany, any Mediamarkt might do for new glass. Their prices are aligned closely to those of dedicated photographers shops. The first party stuff is usually in stock (at least stuff like 24-70 et al).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Advantages of the 5Diii over the 6D:

- Tons more cross-type AF points, altho they're kinda centric-ish.
- Dual card-slot.
- Top cover ain't fiberglass.
- 100% VF coverage.
- Higher burst rate.

Advantages of the 6D over the 5Diii:

- Slightly better high ISO performance.
- Wifi and GPS.
- Focusing screen can be changed (I figure it can be on the 5Diii, too, but it'd involve a screwdriver, and there are no first party screens).
- Smaller and lighter.

--ninja edit: The 6D is essentially a way improved 5Dii.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I don't know about "way" improved. The sensor has better low light performance but the AF is the same and the body is smaller, made of plastic and it has a simplified control scheme. If it were me, I wouldn't go through the effort to switch from the mkii to the 6d unless I really needed the bump in low light performance.
The AF is more sensitive to light. The center point, anyway. Actually, it is the most sensitive of any Canon DSLRs, with -3EV. As such, it is better. And the body is magnesium, the top plate is fiberglass due to WiFi and GPS.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I thought the plastic DSLRs have a steel frame? That should make them rigid enough.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I posted it earlier, Canon has a patent filed about doing dual amplification (read: ISO) simultaneously per photocell. So at some point, we'll indeed be getting better DR. I'd figure a Mark II of the 6D would be the prime target to bring it to market, because I don't see a 5D Mk4 coming out that soon.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

You limp-wristed bastard!

For real tho, the 30mm f1.4 isn't that heavy. If you're hauling a DSLR body around, the weight isn't that much. Also, with all due respect to the 40mm, it may still be a little too tight and it only has f2.8.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The original sigma 30mm is nearly as heavy as a 600D so it tends to feel front-heavy.
I had a 30mm on my 550D, I don't see what's so drat heavy about that setup. Or front-heavy for that matter. It's not like it's a huge barrel that shifts CoG considerably.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Canon's apparently looking into SLT, but with electronically controlled transmittance/reflectance?

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/10/patent-a-pellicle-mirror-by-canon/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

http://www.canon-ci.co.kr/microsite/event/201311/index.jsp

Announcement coming soon. Silhouette suggests a dial on the wide side of the body, so it'll probably a 750D/T6i. :saddowns:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There was something posted here (or somewhere in The Dorkroom anyway) a while back about how like FF cameras from years ago are technically better than most modern crop sensors, I think it was in terms of sharpness.
Bigger photo sites (pixels) hide resolving issues of a lens.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Graniteman posted:

I set up on a tripod and shot birds on my bird feeder from the same distance, at the same focal length and aperture, using both the 5DIII and 7D. When I blow up the 5DIII center of the frame to match the subject-size of the 7D image the apparent sharpness is the same. Put another way, the 5DIII cropped image had less pixels than the full 7D image, but those FF pixels were sharper, and could support cropping better. I was satisfied that by switching from my 7D to a 5DIII I wouldn't be giving up anything noticeable in my bird shooting.
That's one advantage of the bigger pixels of a full-frame camera. A lens resolves an image only that high, before a variety of optical effects take over and ruin your poo poo. Since an APS-C sensor has a higher pixel density, and as such resolution, than a full-frame sensor (the Nikon D800 being the exception with its
36MP), it's more prone to showing issues with the lens design. The lens in question probably doesn't resolve enough to generate maximum sharpness on the 7D, but well enough for the 5D3, getting you the results you've had.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Seeing how the 24-105mm/4 from Sigma is apparently making GBS threads all over Canon's, and expecting the same for the rumored 24-70mm/2(.8), I'd wait for anything longer from them.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Rumor time!

Supposedly a new high-end camera coming 2014, with that high resolution sensor that was rumored about months earlierm, and an hybrid viewfinder, altho rumor says it's for video only (which would be loving stupid, give me focus peaking). Supposedly called the EOS-A1.

http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-rumor/

If that's true and I had to guess, it'll probably be priced close to 1D-X.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, the EVF in the hybrid viewfinder would be video only.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That LiveView mode would be essentially the EVF mode. If that camera is becoming real, or at least one coming with hybrid VF, I hope LV/EVF photo mode is a thing.

Of course, knowing Canon, there's probably a drawback. As in the inability to keep LCD turned off, if you're not looking through the VF, as such decimating the battery and heating up the sensor, causing more noise. :shobon:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The same rumors said that it's not going to replace any of the existing lines. Maybe this will be the fabled EOS 3D? In that case, going by the numbering scheme, it'll probably be more expensive than the 5D.

As far as I know, there's two recent Canon patents that may be relevant to such a new camera. One is dual amplification per photosite, giving you the effect of dual ISO, i.e. bigger dynamic range, without that alternating scanline bullshit that's currently hacked into Magic Lantern. Another patent was about RGB capture per photosite, which may be another possibility, considering a relevant Foveon patent blocking this is about to expire (maybe even has already).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

IanTheM posted:

Well one relevant complaint that professionals have made about Canon is the lack of a high MP studio camera, so they've probably come up with the sensor for it finally.
The D800 is only out for a little more than 1.5 years, what else beyond 20-24MP on a 35mm sensor was there before?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The Sigma 35/1.4 is a stellar lens and works well on FF. I prefer it over 50mm, because often enough, there isn't enough room behind my back to step back and frame things properly. Yet, it still gives you enough bokeh. As far as IS goes, depends on whether you want to shoot in relatively dark. The 6D as a FF has more than a stop better ISO performance than your old 7D.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Djimi posted:

ISO 1600 used to my max setting indoors, I'm hoping to use 6400 tonight. Any owners with opinions on where noise becomes unacceptable?
Noise wise, ISO 1600 on my old 550D looks similar to ISO 6400 on my 6D, so you'll be in for a treat.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If you can do micro AF adjustments and it does miss often, it shouldn't be too hard to find a setting that works for most things except infinity.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The following garbage, is that a sensor/DSP gently caress up or will I need to write up an obituary for my SD card pretty soon?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I have only one memory card, I keep formatting it. It's a Sandisk and no cheap poo poo, so I'd think it'll survive a while. I shot maybe 6000 images total on it. It was a single image only of a batch of 100. I'm just surprised that it's a rectangle in a corner, instead of half up/down. Must be some strange data ordering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently there's now a patent from Canon for automatic microfocus adjustments. Of course, it's a Google translation of the Japanese patent and makes only so much sense.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/01/patent-microadjustment-automated/

Which makes me wonder, why isn't there such a calibration mode already? I mean, the cameras can do LiveView. They could use LV and match its contrast focusing against what the PD sensor says and adjust like that? Say, the calibration starts in LV, tries to achieve maximum contrast in the focus areas, then pops down the mirror and sees what the PD sensor says. Then the other way around, it focuses with PD, then starts LV and sees how much it needs to correct.

--edit: Looking at it another time, the Engrish says just that. So... :shobon: