Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I just saw a Canon 85 1.8 on slickdeals for $319 shipped. Pretty good deal for a great lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

bobfather posted:

Or buy and keep the Sigma 17-50 OS, which is the best of the 2.8 IS zooms for crop bodies.

How does the Canon 17-55 compare to it? I've been talking myself into an upgrade from the Tamron 17-50 and haven't considered the sigma.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

"[ts posted:

xenophobe" post="415787442"]
I hink the beta for LR5 is still active, may want to start there.

Yeah and you'll get to use it until they release the final version which could be a few months from now.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

UGAmazing posted:

Sorry in advance for possibly derailing anything.

I've got a 50D that I acquired in a too-good-to-pass-up deal, and I've noticed something strange with the viewfinder. I've noticed that the felt (I believe) material on the inside of the body is visible in my viewfinder at the top. In other words, when looking through the view finder, all four sides aren't hard straight lines, but rather the top side/edge is fuzzy looking from what I assume is the felt in the body. Is this something I can adjust (focus screen?), or is something out of whack? Forgive me, I'm not really familiar with a lot of the proper terms when it comes to the inner workings of the camera body itself (aside from the mirror, sensor, mount, etc).

Thanks in advance for any advice/help! Really great thread.

I just recently had the same problem with my 50D. It is indeed the felt that is starting to sag and slightly block the mirror. I tried pushing it back in with no luck. Since the whole thing flips up when you take a picture, it doesn't affect the photos. I shot a little bit last weekend and didn't even notice it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Thing looks like a piece of poo poo. Maybe good if you're going for the holga look.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

corkskroo posted:

Thanks guys. I don't know that we don't give a poo poo about AF, just that the benefit on the mkiii might be overkill. I think the additional ISO on the 6D and the wifi make it more attractive than the mkii, which isn't really cheaper than the 6D anyway. A lot of the pros for the mkiii that I listed don't really seem like things that matter to us too much, except the moire on 6D video, which is annoying.

If I were doing food photography at home/ in a "studio" I'd be way more worried about my lighting gear than the camera. ISO and AF (good or none) wouldn't matter to me. Good lighting makes good photos and when you have good lighting the camera doesn't really matter much. If that is indeed what you're doing, you'll get far better results investing in lighting and maybe a new lens or two.

On the other hand, I can't blame you for wanting to upgrade the Xt, that thing is ancient. I'd vote for 6d since a lot of the 5d3 features won't matter to you.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I mostly use my hood to protect the front element. The flair reduction is just a bonus.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

It's really a pain to use filters and a hood at the same time anyway, especially a filter that needs constant adjustment like a polarizer. If you really need to, just use your hand as a flag in a pinch.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

iSheep posted:

I would like to look into the 3rd party lenses, I just don't know how to tell if they will crop on full frame sensors or not.

Just look for it on b&h. It will say on the features/spec list on whether it was a crop or not.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Drunk Badger posted:

I've got room in my case for one more lens. 50mm F/1.8 II or 40mm f/2.8 STM?

50 1.8. You can't walk back a step and get a faster lens.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Shmoogy posted:

So apparently the Sigma 30 1.4 (Art) doesn't vignette on full frame...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1220042

Looking at the picture it does seem to vignette some, just not as bad. It's about what I'd add in post if I wanted a vignette. I'd say it's a keeper for someone who moved from crop to FF but I don't know if I'd buy it I only had FF.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I haven't been keeping up with gear and I'm just now getting all the 70D news. I'm pretty stoked. It almost seems too good to be true for $1200. The biggest thing for me is that we're finally getting a crop sensor that's actually significantly better than my 6 year old 50D's. I don't mind crop at all but it was really getting to the point where if I wanted a good high ISO sensor, I'd have to dump all my crop lenses and go FF for $2-3k plus probably another $2k to upgrade my crop lenses. I'm just hoping it'll be clean at 3200 and pretty good at 6400.

It looks like it has all the bells and whistles too. I'm trying to figure out if there is anything they gimped on it for its price. What is it missing? All I can see is a 100% viewfinder, and the pc port. I saw something about some mic jack that is missing but I don't care about video.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's still an embargo on photos taken with it, right?

From the reviews I was reading last night, none were allowed to use a memory card/their card in the camera. I think better ISO performance will be a deal maker/killer for most people. For me, cleaner files at higher iso is the only justification for an upgrade.

7D AF will be nice but my 50D's AF doesn't stop me from shooting what I need to shoot. The other bells and whistles will be cool but won't have a dramatic impact on my final product.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I used to lose the one on my old rebel all the time. I finally got a replacement at B&H and just crazy glued the thing down. Haven't had the problem on my 50d yet.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

somnambulist posted:

I'm going on an alaskan cruise at the end of august, and im trying to decide what lens to purchase to go along with the 24mm TS-E and 135mm f2.

My budget is in the 1200 range. The 70-300 IS, 100-400 IS, 400mm 5.6, or 300mm f4 IS are in the running.

Thoughts?

Why on earth would you spend $1200 on lens for a week/two week/whatever-it-is long vacation? Either save $1000 and rent a lens better than all three of those choices or spend that money on a lens you'll want all year round. Or better yet, use that money to go on an excursion somewhere cool with cool poo poo to shoot.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Sorry I was a little harsh, but my point is that I think you're thinking about it the wrong way around. Don't think about what $1200 lens is gonna be awesome for this week or two of my life. Think about what you want to shoot right now that you can't, and go from there. This purchase is obviously going to be something you'll be using for a long time.

I'm guessing that what you're getting at, is that you want to shoot wildlife in Alaska. Is this something you sure you want to continue when you get back home, or are you just interested for this particular trip? If you're not sure then I'd just rent something and save the money for now.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 29, 2013

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

geeves posted:

I'm considering a new lens, and of course, it's hard to go wrong.

the 70-200 f/2.8L (non-IS) or the 135 f/2.0L. IS isn't a selling point for me, though I wish I could afford the latest 70-200. The 135 is $989 and the 70-200 is $1299. While it is a $300 difference, its negligible in this case. I budget is 1400.

I've rented both and loved both and the reason I'm leaning toward the 70-200 is versatility as the rest of my lens are primes (24L, 35L, 50L). I think it's only a matter of time before I get both and if I hadn't done a price check on the 70-200, I would have probably ordered the 135L. Also, maybe in a few months, I could sell the 70-200 and use the value towards the II version.

Anyone else in a similar predicament?

I haven't used a 135, but I did have a Sigma 150 macro for awhile. It was a great lens but, I found using a longer prime more restricting. For shorter primes (like your 24, 35, and 50, even an 85), you don't have to "zoom with your feet" too much to get the composition you want. With something longer, sometimes you want to step 20 feet back and can't do it because somethings in the way.

All the Canon 70-200s are excellent and I think the 2.8 is a wise choice. A 2.8 at those focal lengths will give you a nice shallow DoF.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

bisticles posted:

Seriously, the 70-200s are all so fantastic that they kind of negate the need for long range primes. I recently did an outdoor shoot where I switched between the 70-200 f/4L and 100L and the results are pretty close across the board. Thinking of selling/trading the 100L macro, actually, to pick up something I might use more.

If you do get rid of your 100 macro and still want to retain your macro abilities, I'd highly suggest picking up a close up lens if you can find one. Canon makes an excellent 77mm called the 500D Close up Lens. I'm not sure if they make a 67mm for the F/4 but the one I use is just about as good as having a real macro lens. The only thing you lose is infinity focus, which is really a small inconvenience.

Maybe something like this would work? If you can find something made by another camera make that should work too. In fact, I know there are plenty of Nikon users who buy the Canon 500D to use on their lenses.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I just got my hands on an 85 1.8 lens today for a bit, I've never used long glass on my 600D before. This thing is sexy as hell, definitely my next buy.

It's not L glass but there is no good reason it shouldn't be. That thing is all around awesome and a great bang for the buck.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Turd Nelson posted:

Would i be foolish to upgrade from my 50D to a 7D? I find that I'm missing focus semi-frequently and i would love to be able to boost that ISO and get some usable shots above ISO 1200. Is the.7D2 going to be announced anytime soon? Will there be a price drop?

The sensors in the 50D and 7D are very similar, so you're not going to get an ISO boost. The 7D AF is nice, but I never really have any focusing issues on my 50D. When are you having trouble focusing?

When the 7D was first releaed I was planning on upgrading to it until I found that the ISO was really no different than the 50D. I decided to save the $800 or so and get a 50d with better glass. I haven't regretted that decision.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

That's the problem, Canon crop sensors really haven't changed much since the 50D (which wasn't much better than a 40D). It sounds like the 70D isn't going to be any better either, so we're all still hosed. I'd like to stick with crop but Canon is making it difficult. I think the 7D2 is going to be our last hope for something better.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Wario In Real Life posted:

Marginal improvements aren't considered improvements apparently.

Also the only thing you're purchasing is a sensor.

Better sensor is the only good reason for me to upgrade. The only thing I can't do well on my 50D is shoot in low light. The other features may be nice to have but I doubt not having them would limit me. Also, I'm sure they won't have any impact on the quality of the final image.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I remember that now, what the gently caress Canon? I guess I need to get off this sinking crop ship and go to full frame.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

geeves posted:

That's why their 24-70 f/2 could be such a big deal - that's a full stop of light against lens series that can't even get IS into the 2.8 lens.

I have a feeling whether it be it a 2.0 or 2.8, it's going to be just as good if not better and a lot cheaper. $2300 is loving expensive for a non is 24-70

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

alkanphel posted:

That's pretty much why they always tell you not to get 3rd party lenses or accessories - because they can't guarantee they will work after firmware updates. It's the risk we take when we go 3rd party. I don't think Canon gives a drat and from what I'm reading out there, they're not going to correct this. That said, seems like some 3rd party battery manufacturers already have batteries that work with the new firmware so you might have to wait and see.

I don't think there is a legitimate concern about buying 3rd party lenses. I've never heard of Canon trying to block lenses.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Bubbacub posted:

For crop cameras, the Sigma 8-16 is amazing.

Seconding this. 8 vs 10mm may not sound like a lot, but on the wide end ever mm makes a huge difference .

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Tenderloin posted:

I don't think the Sigma 8-16mm takes filters but would love to hear more about the differences. Definitely deliberating between this and Canon's 10-22mm which is a stop faster and about $100 cheaper, but I have the 17-55mm and kind of like that the 8-16mm doesn't overlap at all. Hmmm.

Like Ferris Bueller said, aperture is almost meaningless when it comes to ultra wides. Depth of Field is going to be very large and there is nothing you can do about it. 1 stop will make no difference. The other part of a fast lens is letting more light in for faster shutter speeds. Once again, it's not an issue since you can handhold at very low shutter speeds with an ultra wide (like 1/8th shouldn't be too hard). The last thing you have is "freezing motion in poor lighting conditions." With ultra wides, I find that things move generally take up a small part of the frame. Small enough that I don't care if they're tack sharp. In fact most of the time, I find I prefer a little motion blur. I've been shooting with the Sigma 8-16 since it was first released and haven't ever cared about freezing motion on it.

As for the filter thing, I don't see it as a crippling problem. I don't use filters often but I figure if I do, I can just use my 17-50 which is pretty wide on it's own.

If anyone wants I can post some 8-16 shots. It's really a top notch lens.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Here ya go, some shots from the 8-16

Chichen Itza by Ryan-Tamm, on Flickr

Magnolia Plantation by Ryan-Tamm, on Flickr

Charleston by Ryan-Tamm, on Flickr

Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge by Ryan-Tamm, on Flickr

Edit: It's a really fun and challenging lens to use. It's challenging in that the view from an UWA is very different from your normal vision. I still feel like I need to go out and shoot nothing but the 8=16 for a few days.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 31, 2013

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

LiquidRain posted:

You need something very close to you in order to take landscapes with an ultra wide. If you're taking panorama photos and such, they're not that useful since all the detail in the distance is REALLY "in the distance." Close objects look really close, far objects look really far.

I use my ultra wide for dense urban shooting and parties, not so much for landscape.

Same here. I use it mostly for really big things close up. Something as large as a mountain can look very small if it's far off.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Just to chime in, I'm still on a 50D and I'm not upgrading until I can go full frame. If you got money to burn, spend it on lights and lenses. That will have more of an impact on your photography than any body will.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I can't tell you if it's the memory card or not, but if it is the card, I'd highly suggest replacing it ASAP. It's not worth the chance that that it will screw up your once in a lifetime shot.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'm talking about the future. He's fortunate that it was only that image.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'm thinking about adding a third flash to my set of a 580ex II and a 430ex II. I just got a wireless Yongnuo ettl trigger and right now the plan is to put three in a softbox to use as my key light. I figure I'll put the radio trigger on the 580 which will command the other 2 flashes via IR (shouldn't be a problem when they're close together in a softbox).

So my question is, should I consider canon knock off flashes? I want to use ettl and I want all the flashes to play nice together. I've heard many good things about the knock offs, but I don't want to have any comparability issues. I also don't want to lose the ability to control my flashes from the back of the camera (especially when they're zipped up in a softbox).

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Hmm the one in that article is about $180 on Amazon. I'm not saving too much over a 430ex ii, especially if I go used. I might look into getting some cheaper ones for fills/backgrounds/ what not.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

That would be cool. Right now it's so not worth the money, especially considering you have to buy that stupid $300 trigger for the camera. You'd think it'd be built in the cameras by now.

I'm kinda getting tired of the Canon "deliver less, charge $1000 more" business model they have now. Today I thought about defecting to Sony with their new full frame A7 cameras since they're actually doing innovative things. That idea got killed when I looked the current/up coming lens lineup.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah I've got 0 faith that they're gonna make a camera to wow me anymore. And if they do, it will cost $4000.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Canon will respond by making a 100-400 with IS II for $1000 more.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

The Canon G1X II is looking good. Canon Rumors has leaked photos and final specs.

Canon Rumors posted:

Specifications

13.1 mp in 4:3 format
12.8 mp in 3:2 format
1.5″ CMOS Sensor
3fps with AF, 5fps with focus locked
24-120mm f/2-3.9
DIGIC 6
3″ tilting touch LCD
Two Control Rings
Wifi
NFC
Creative shot
Multi-scene IS
Optional Grip
Optional EVF

Canonwatch.com also adds "Shorter start-up time, and faster shooting time and continuous shooting". Some things I noticed is that they dropped the lovely optical view finder, put in a built in lens cap. and slimmed it down a bit. Expected price should be around $700.

I was ready to buy a g1x with my tax return but decided to hold off to see if these rumors panned out. I really like the idea of a big sensor point and shoot that has a zoom lens and allows me to shoot with a view finder. Sure there are a lot of mirorless options, however I didn't want to go that route because I don't want to invest in another system / carry a support bag around with me. I plan to preoder once it becomes available.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

A COMPUTER GUY posted:

No 7D2, Canon? :smith:

Canon Rumors says that this show is more consumer oriented and focused on P&S and low end DSLRs.

timrenzi574 posted:

not unless it uses like an hdmi cable - there's no spare pins for data for an EVF on the M's hotshoe afaik.

Maybe on the next version. I really hate shooting away from my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

So Bestbuy accidentally had a preorder up for the G1x II selling for $800 and released on 6/1. I don't know if I can wait that long. I have 4 trips between then and now that I was hoping I'd have a good point and shoot on. Maybe I should get something now and sell it when it comes out.

Edit: B&H and Adorama say late April and Amazon says May 9th. gently caress it, I preordered.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 12, 2014