Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

woot fatigue posted:

Alternatively, get the TS-E 24/3.5LII. It's the perfect travel lens for anyone going to Europe, and is a perfect walk-about lens for any city.

I have heard you say such nice things about this lens that I finally bit the bullet and ordered it today. I am traveling to Paris next month so I hope that it will be a good walk around lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

woot fatigue posted:

You're going to love it! Just make sure you bring an external flash. It always casts a shadow when I use it with my Rebel T2.

Same thing with an XT? I don't have an external flash. :( I just blew my budget on the lens.

completely not serious. I do want one bad though

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

casa de mi padre posted:

I bought Canon poo poo because I once owned a Canon printer. I wonder how much of Canon's market share is made up of people as lazy as me.

National Geographic Magazine ads did it for me.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

HookShot posted:

Go to Europe and see all the tourists with their 70-200L f/2.8 IS lenses at the Arc de Triomphe or St. Peters.

Like, good job having enough money to buy a lens that ensures you're going to be able to capture 1/10th of the Arc at a time because it's so god damned enormous that with my 18-55 I had to take a panorama to get the whole thing in.

I brought a 400mm 5.6l to the Arc de Triomphe. I used it at the top. I had a 10-22 for outside though.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Fluorite crystal ring.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Performula posted:

I got a call from my local Canon USA, regarding my Rebel T1i that can't power on. They've determined it must be a short in the camera's power supply circuitry and/or a blown fuse. The options they've given me are:

(1) Take it back and possibly attempt to fix it myself.
(2) Have them ship it to the closest factory service center to have it repaired for a flat fee of $190 (+S&H).
(3) Exchange my camera for 20% off a refurbished camera of my choice through their loyalty program. The refurbished camera comes with a 1 year warranty.

While I have basic soldering and circuit debugging skills, I don't have much faith in choice (1) succeeding. On the other hand, I also don't feel excited about shelling out $190 + S&H for something that can be as simple as a "blown fuse," for a low-end DSLR that's nearing 4 years. So I feel like (3) is my best option, as I could probably get a more up to date DSLR body, or maybe an S or G series point and shoot.

If anyone could provide additional opinions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sell it on ebay. Buy a broken canon p+s or film camera on ebay to use for loyalty program (doesn't actually have to be broken even though they say it should be). Take difference and buy yourself dinner.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

mclifford82 posted:

I'm assuming here that you're using a full frame body.

Either way I'd actually still suggest the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS. On a Full Frame that, to me, is getting into useful focal range for birds and other decently distant subjects. I used to use a 70-300mm on my T4i and that was amazing range. If I didn't need a wide angle lens so badly I'd probably get this as my next lens as well.

Do other people not find the push/pull zoom mechanism annoying on the 100-400?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I am really confused because the 6D is the intermediary in price between the 70D and the 5D Mark 3. Are you sure you are not mistaking one of the models? It would make a lot more sense if you were talking about comparing the 6D and the 5DM3 or the 70D and maybe the 6D at least from a pricing perspective.

Prices from Amazon bodies only:

70D--1199
6D---1895
5DM3-3349