Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
e; I'm a dumbass and totally missed the "My first DSLR" thread. Sorry. :downs: Reposted in that thread instead.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I was nearly set on the 50mm 1.8, what would be the better pick? That, or the 40mm pancake refurb? I've currently got the 18-55mm stm kit and the 55-250mm stm for my SL1. I feel like the 40mm would be a better focal length for more situations walking around, along with the compact size, but the 50mm being faster is really appealing.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The 40mm works out to be about $28 more than the 50 new on Amazon (factoring shipping and tax), but it sounds like its worth it. Sold.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Just received my 40mm pancake, "smallest DSLR" is now complete. Crazy how much louder the STM focus is in this vs. the other two lenses.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've been super pleased with the 40mm on a crop sensor (SL1) as a newbie, fwiw. It has only felt too tight in a couple situations, otherwise it's quick and sharp, and makes casually carrying the camera around much easier than with the kit lens.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have not, and I've only played around with manual so learning shouldn't be too bad without any current muscle memory.

They're all drive-by-wire, so there's a little bit of a disconnect with what you're doing and what's happening. It's not terrible, but across my three STM lenses, the action/response varies a little which makes it more pronounced when I switch between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The rubber on the focus ring of my EF-S 18-55 STM has started to devulcanize. Should I look into replacing the ring myself? Taking it to a repair shop? Just living with it/powder it occasionally?