Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

Were you on a VAD? My 3 year old daughter had dilated CM when she was a newborn, thankfully no transplant here either. They think hers is metabolic in origin not viral though.

Glad they were able to get you back to semi normal function

Yes, I was on the pneumatic BiVAD so it wasn't easily concealed like the LVAD and difficult to get around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

NaDy posted:

I've found that the type of people photographers usually are are the ones who geniunely try to take care of their equipment, especially when trying to sell it. All the second hand equipment I've got has been totally fine, and a lot cheaper than new.

Also I've found that some shops that sell second hand gear - in the UK at least - offer a 6 month warranty which is a nice buffer if you find out that something is broken. Saying that I've still never had to use those warranties due to the quality of the gear.

A few years ago I bought a 24-70 for about ~$850. It was in great shape. After 6 months I didn't like the lens and rarely used it and decided to sell it for $950.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I guess as well I'm having trouble seeing how the 1200d can be so bad that I'm better off buying a 40d, which is several generations old if I understand it right (50, 60, 70). Surely a 40d would have been used enough that the shutter would be prone to failure?

If you're taking photos at high noon of still objects, the 1200d/T5 will be fine - I don't know what sensor it has so it may be okay to shoot through late afternoon as well. If you're planning on shooting a lot you're going to notice the limitations of this camera very quickly and in a week you'll already be saving to buy a better body instead of looking at a decent lens.

The 40D has a bigger and better body & build, it's definitely more ergonomic if you have larger than average hands. There are programs that can give you an actuation count. Shutters are rated for 100k and you can knock the gently caress out of someone with the body without damaging it.

geeves fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 9, 2015

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

triplexpac posted:

Any tips on buying a used lens off Craigslist? I'm not sure how I would be able to test it and really know if there was anything wrong

Meet at a Starbucks or something during the day. Inspect it, then take a handful of shots at different apertures and load them on to your laptop or just use the LCD to look for anything glaringly bad. Make sure the AF is working. Try different focusing points. A good seller shouldn't mind spending an extra 10 minutes for you to pixel peep as you make sure you're buying something solid.

On the other hand I sold a lens to someone in a Sunoco parking lot at 11pm because they were in a hurry.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I'm not sure they're such a bad deal, really. The T1000 at least had a liquid metal coating, and could change its form based on what was needed.
It also had great weatherproofing, especially against super-cold ice.

Extreme heat is always a problem though. But It could really take day to day damage.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Bubbacub posted:

My weather-sealed 70-300 has a dead ant inside.

http://petapixel.com/2015/06/10/we-found-a-fly-inside-a-weather-sealed-lens/

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

It probably isn't noticeable in final images because of Canon's Fly Control Focus...

Although I didn't think they carried that feature over to the digital EOS models.

Photographers really have to stop rubbing their dicks on the sensors.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I don't think anyone has wanted rub their dick on a canon sensor since 2009.

Except maybe the people on dpreview's EOS Digital subforum.

I'm sure K-rock has a KY dick swabbing method for cleaning.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

Those sites always seem to be geared towards the obsessive pixel-peeping crowd, I generally buy lenses based on word of mouth reputation and it hasn't burned me yet.

Pretty much this. I've been able to borrow a friend's lens and test it out for a day or rent it for a weekend from lens rentals before dropping 1k+. I'd rather spend the ~$100 testing out a lens to make sure I like the result than blindly dropping the full amount for a lens based on some internet reviews of lines on a poster board. My prime example is the Sigma 35 f/1.4 that a lot of people were salivating over. Something was just off about the result of the photos that just bugged me so I went the 35L.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

https://instagram.com/p/7dEKUdoomn/?taken-by=popphotomag

That looks like it's the same size as a 300/2.8. Wowza

It looks like a loving war horn.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

The loving idiot that robbed Costello tried to impersonate him.

http://petapixel.com/2016/08/07/robbed-olympics-photographer-spots-thief-posing-venue/

quote:

...while Costello was entering Sambodromo stadium yesterday for the men’s archery competition, he noticed another man entering behind him wearing an official photo vest.

But not just any vest: Costello’s stolen photo vest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

somnambulist posted:

Ugh. Every direction I turn, medium format truly feels like the direction I should be going in. I just feel like we're in this transition phase where medium format is getting much more affordable and in a few years, we'll have options that don't cost 20-30k (like the Pentax 645z)

Sigh. I'm lost. ;_;

Last summer, I treated myself to the 5Ds but a bit of buyers remorse when I wondered the same thing - that I could have waited and gone with a Pentax med format to try something different.