Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I'm pretty sure my t2i is on the fritz, and it's likely that it's just getting old, but I figured I'd ask y'all before taking it in/upgrading. I haven't really been using it much the past two years, but every now and then I like to take it out, and every time I notice something else isn't working properly.

First it was the flash wouldn't trigger. That doesn't bother me because I'm not a flagellant, but it is odd. Next I couldn't keep the shutter open longer than ~15 seconds or use the live view. I get an error 30 warning and followed all of the steps to no avail. Then I started seeing a black bar of varying size on the top of my images. I'm sure that means my shutter is going but I really have no idea. Now I'm trying to find my shutter actuations and the program I downloaded (from Astrojargon) won't help - it's also giving me an error message.

If there's any way to salvage the camera I'm all ears, but I'm not sure it's worth sending it to Canon to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

loaf posted:

Thanks for the advice. I went with a refurbished 70-200 f/4L IS II from Canon with a warranty.

Lens Rentals shows high failure rates on the original f/4L IS and a bunch of 2.8 zooms. I've had good luck with primes on ebay, but had to return a bad Olympus 12-40mm and Canon 24-105 IS. Not sure if zooms are really that fragile or just get used more.

If this ends up making GBS threads the bed I've got a Sigma 70-200 2.8 I'm looking to get rid of.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
I've got a t2i that's been on the fritz for a while and I'm thinking now/soon would be a good time to replace it. I haven't really used it much over the past two years and have completely fallen off what Canon is doing these days so I'm trying to get a feel for what's out there. Would the latest t8i be a noticeable upgrade? Or should I look into the 80/90D? Or do I go mirrorless? I've got a Tamron 17-50 and Sigma 70-200. Good low light capabilities would be a plus.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Nobody else has jumped in I don't think. I haven't looked much at these so maybe someone else who's just made this decision can jump in with why they chose what they did. The t2i is like 10 years old now so yes, the t8i would be a noticeable upgrade. 4k video, better fps, sensor resolution, I'm sure better AF and sensor performance, probably a bunch of other stuff too. If you can swing a 90D it would be noticeably better in almost every way than the t8i. Someone else here could probably talk about the RP mirrorless. I think presumably it would work with your EF-S lenses? Here's everything in a compare tool.

Any of these would be better in low light but I don't know if you wouldn't be better off moving to Sony if you need a superhuman low light EVF or whatever.

I should have been clearer, obviously there's going to be a big jump between the t2i and the most recent iteration. What I was really trying to find out is if the current generation of rebel will be so much better that I can stick with it and save a few hundred bucks (that said, the price of an 80/90D is not a deterrent), or if it makes sense to upgrade to something that's more than just a beginner camera. My main complaints with the t2i is the AF is slow and unreliable and shooting above 1600 ISO gets pretty noisy, both of which I'm sure are vastly better with the t8i.

I don't need *superhuman* low light, but I don't hate the idea. I love night time photography so if that's the better option, I'm not opposed to picking up an a7 and using an adapter.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

It's totally up to you based on the features you need, but I don't think that there's anything that would necessarily scare me off of the t8i. It's actually got a newer processor than the 80D, and one review I just read thought it might actually do a little better in low light than the 90D due to the pixel size (90D has a decent jump in resolution but that means it's pixels are smaller). They all have 45 cross-type AF. I think they'll all be OK at 3200 ISO although maybe check dpreview or somewhere if you want to see how they look.

That's good to know. I can't find the t8i on dpreview but looking at the t7i I'm really impressed with the the noise tests compared to the 80 and 90D. Now to find a store that's open and will let me get my hands on them...

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The Digital Picture has a noise comparison tool which includes the T8i. Not sure if it's using RAW or JPG, but it at least appears to be like-for-like.

Seconding what BetterLek said. Sensors are often similar or identical between the ?0d and T?i lines. The ?0d will just get you more FPS, better viewfinder, etc. Just be aware that you can probably find a 80D for the same price or cheaper than a T8i at this point.

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize the sensors were the same between the two lines, I always thought part of the jump was also a better, however slight, sensor. Walking around with the t2i the past few days has reminded me of how uncomfortable it is to hold for the long term...

I've been keeping my eye on adorama/keh for used and the Canon refurb site. Do they still offer the customer loyalty program? Appreciate all the help, it's amazing what you can forget when you don't touch a camera for two years.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
Coincidentally enough I've got a 18-55 kit lens and a 75-300 usm I'm trying to sell asap, I was going to ask this thread what a fair price for them would be.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
I've got an old t2i that I haven't used in forever but I'm getting the photography bug again. The camera is on the fritz so I'm looking to upgrade. What should I be looking for in Canon in 2023? I have some lenses that I don't think are compatible with mirrorless, but that's where it seems everything is headed. I'm primarily looking to bring it hiking with me so size and weight is somewhat of a factor, but I used to hike with the t2i all the time so it's not a dealbreaker. I'm strictly a hobbyist too - I never really felt limited by the t2i so I don't feel the need to jump up to a 5d or whatever the current top of the line camera is.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
Oh that’s nice, a $100 adapter makes that switch a lot more palatable. I don’t have any problem buying used, I was browsing the Canon refurb site earlier but that’s when I realized I knew nothing about their lineup anymore. As for budget I’m not really sure… under $1k? Or I can save some more and bump that up. The t2i still works for now, but the shutter has started sticking and the autofocus can be hit or miss. I did find a new used 80D for $588 earlier, but that would keep me in the dslr realm.

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 12, 2023

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
This is all really helpful - thanks. The more I read and think about it, the more I think mirrorless is the right move. They seem pretty nifty, and the vast majority of the time I’ll be hiking, so the weight and size savings would be pretty big. I pretty much only shoot landscapes and pictures of my dog, but I'd love to be able to get any cool wildlife I see when I'm out.

I was reading about the R7 and R8 last night and they both seem like solid options, but I’d probably lean towards the R7. Having IBIS, a better battery, and I know it’d work with my lenses. My lenses are nothing fancy, a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4, and a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8, but I think only the Sigma will work on a full frame body, yeah?

It is pretty shocking the prices you can get a 5D or 7D used for though...

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
That certainly makes the R8 a lot more enticing. Does Canon still offer a discount for trading in your old camera like they used to?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
I’ll give them a call on Monday, I’ve been reading that some people have had luck getting 20% off new, while others were only offered 10% off a refurb.

Appreciate all the advice - I think I’m going to pick up an R8. It seems to be the right camera for my purposes. I’ll probably end up selling my cheaper lenses and see about one of the nicer RF lenses. What is money anyways.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
I picked up an R8 and a used 24-105L from a local shop on Monday. I cannot get enough of this camera, it is lightyears better than the the T2i. It is just insanely impressive and I haven’t felt this kind of joy shooting since I first got interested in photography when I was like 15. Thanks everyone for letting me poo poo this thread up for a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
Does anybody want a Vello lens hood for the EF 24-105L? I accidentally bought the EF instead of the RF hood and BH is going to deduct more for the return than I spent on it. $10 shipped if anyone wants.