Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

BonoMan posted:

So apparently the new Magic Lantern enables 14 bit RAW @ 24fps on the 5D Mk3. Regretting my Nikon erry day.

You'll be able to record like...10 minutes of raw on a pair of 64gb CF cards (and iirc the mk3 doesn't have high speed SD slots) so I'd be tempered in my excitement about that.

Plus I already have a BMC so it's not like I am in a rush to ditch my D600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Oh I just checked and the release is kind of misleading.

14-bit DNG's come from the LiveView display image, so I'm not sure if it captures the full dynamic range that the sensor is capable of, or if some information is lost. Also the buffer and CF write speeds are an issue - apparently getting 6 seconds is the max you can record before the buffer is full. Definitely doesn't hold a candle to the BMCC where you can record until your drive is full as long as you have enough power.

If I were you I'd just wait until the BMC Pocket Camera comes out if you really want a cheapo raw video device.

edit: Was looking at days-old info.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 13, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Aeka 2.0 posted:

So how does this work with a 10/12 bit display? Does the "Deep Color" option work?

The point to having 14 bit raw is that you'll have a lot more latitude to grade your image - your output is probably going to end up as a lossy 8-bit h264 web video anyways but you'll have finer control over white balance, color, and exposure.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Aeka 2.0 posted:

drat. I just want to see some deep color content. It gives the video depth. Would have been nice to test it out.

I'm not sure what you mean by "deep color."

I doubt the image looks any better or has more depth if I have a 14-bit display.

Here's a raw DNG frame from straight off the Blackmagic Cinema Camera (converted to TIFF in Photoshop):

Blackmagic Cinema Camera_1_2013-03-06_1629_C0000_000106 by chazaraz, on Flickr

edit: welp it looks like there's no way to get the raw onto flickr without squashing it down to 8-bits.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 18, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

fivre posted:

Lens caps thicker than 10mm are too thick to fit in the pockets of my super-tight hipster jeans.

This is not true :getin:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It takes longer because the firmware is searching your CF card for the autoexec file that will load Magic Lantern. I'm pretty sure you can just flash to the original firmware and disable the bootloader and everything will be fine again.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

somnambulist posted:

The issue isnt with ML , even if i delete that firmware and go back to an older firmware, the issue is still there for some reason. And it's only using the CF card. I wonder if its the card going bad or something? So weird, the camera used to boot up extremely fast with the same exact card. I guess I can try using another CF card? Hmm....

Another poster said there was a way to disable the bootloader, you need to do that otherwise your camera is always going to be looking for firmware updates on startup.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Start here: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

corkskroo posted:

Thanks guys. I don't know that we don't give a poo poo about AF, just that the benefit on the mkiii might be overkill. I think the additional ISO on the 6D and the wifi make it more attractive than the mkii, which isn't really cheaper than the 6D anyway. A lot of the pros for the mkiii that I listed don't really seem like things that matter to us too much, except the moire on 6D video, which is annoying.

There's moire but it's not terrible, and it doesn't look worse than a 5Dmk2 or 7D so I think it's an okay buy unless you have the extra cash and can afford a better camera system.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm guessing because you have a 17-50 2.8 that you were shooting on a crop body?

He shot on a 50D.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The 5Dmk2 does NOT have better video than the 6D. Though everything else about it is a lot better, especially the construction and how it feels in your hand. The 6D also has built-in wireless control, even though it was flaky as hell to use (with the Android app at least).

D600 would be my bet (I own one of these) and the dynamic range is pretty insane. Plus you get 2 high speed SD card slots.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah I'm pretty shocked at how buggy it is. The GoPro WiFi is waaaaay more stable and won't gently caress over your network.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

On the other hand, I think that SSD's are actually getting cheaper per GB than high speed CF cards.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

tliil posted:

You're putting a lot of data into a very physically small space, it's really amazing that you don't hear a lot of stories of SD cards failing.

In the 3 years I've been shooting (video mostly) on SD cards I've had exactly one card failure, and that was a physical failure on a cheapo card due to the write lock tab breaking off.

OTOH, SD cards are so cheap that I just swap them for fresh ones every year. You can get 32gb SanDisk 95mb/s cards for like $60 nowadays.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I believe Lightroom applies the picture style to the tone controls.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I don't know why chasing video autofocus is such a big priority for manufacturers. Every time I've used it on any system it's awful and does a bad job of actually tracking moving things. On a small sensor camcorder you can kind of deal with it since the depth of field is so deep, but on even m4/3 it looks really clunky.

People using a DSLR as a video camera are going to want lenses with a smooth focus ring with a long throw. And they're probably not going to want to drop the kind of money Canon wants on those cine-primes :argh:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The one thing I learned from that white paper is the fact that you can't push the shadows in a vanilla mk3 at ISO100 :psyduck:

If you've ever played with a D800 or D600 you'll notice how much detail you can pull out of the shadows, it's really insane. I realize that the mk3 is a different camera and has strengths in different areas, but goddamn.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Is it off camera or not?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Haggins posted:

Looking at the picture it does seem to vignette some, just not as bad. It's about what I'd add in post if I wanted a vignette. I'd say it's a keeper for someone who moved from crop to FF but I don't know if I'd buy it I only had FF.

I wonder what it looks like at f11 though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I would just get one adapter for each lens and Nikon back caps and then never take them off.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

So the latest builds of Magic Lantern have raw video enabled for a lot of devices.

Currently I have it working on my T2i - with a 45mb/s card I can basically do continuous recording at 16:9 SD resolution. It took a lot of experimentation to figure out what settings worked or not.

I'd like to say that this is a game-changer, but it's really not. Even if I had a faster card and could get a bump in resolution, I feel like raw recording requires a sensor that can actually make the most use out of it. Using my non-scientific tests, I can only get MAYBE one stop of highlight recovery, and there's like zero detail recovered in the shadows. It's nothing like shooting on a Blackmagic Camera where you get D800-like detail being recorded in the shadows and highlights.

I'm only messing with this because I'm going to San Francisco to tech and edit a 3 day shoot where the director is using a Magic Lantern'd 5D3. I mean the 5D is unequivocally a better camera, but I wish we could be doing this whole thing on the BMC :suicide:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Haha, maybe they ran out of bubble mailers or something.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

That's the only reason I switched to Nikon, really. It's insane how much detail is there in the shadows.

Recently did a video shoot with the 5Dmk3, shooting all in raw. Sounds great until there were a couple of difficult interiors where we didn't have a ton of lighting to match the exterior light coming from a window - we underexposed by like 3 stops and when we went to pull it back up in Resolve, there was like...nothing there to pull up. Black was black. It's a much different experience compared to the Blackmagic Cinema Camera, which is basically a D800 for video (with a much smaller sensor).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

From my standpoint of using cameras primarily to shoot video, I think going Canon has a few distinct advantages:

1)3rd parties have unlocked tons of functionality especially in the newer DigicV bodies
2)The lenses are also usable on other systems like Blackmagic Cinema or RED.
3)There are tons of video-focused 3rd party accessories that are available only for Canon bodies.

For stills though the only advantage I can think of, and this is limited to the newer stuff, is ridiculous low light sensitivity for event shooters.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Just get a D800 or D600 and don't gently caress around with weird DR hacks like this.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

LiquidRain posted:

It's very interesting to see DigitalRev's 70D vs D7100 in comparison to what people (including myself) are saying. Kai and company don't really see many differences between the two in terms of image quality. (though he did not touch on dynamic range) The biggest difference is, naturally, the 70D has the edge in movies. Kai describes most of the differences as "slight" for taking pictures.

I haven't looked at the review but differences in DR are huge and really only appreciated once you bring the photos into LR. I'm not sure that the D7100 is any better though, but DR differences do matter.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You can't let other photographers know how much money you threw away on your kit unless you have that red ring.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Or shooting at another time of day where the light would've been less harsh.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Or you could get something like a D600 or D800 that are 3+ stops more sensitive and pull up those shadows. Not a budget option, but eh.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The higher MP count of the D800 is a nice bonus, but the real advantage of that camera is having 14 stops of dynamic range to play with.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

xenilk posted:

But for someone who does no video footage and no sports, is it worth pitching ~2500$ more?

Only downside I see is no dual card slot and having a non-fiberglass cover? I think I can live with non 100% VF (I mean MKII has 96%)

The 5Dmk3 is not $2500 more.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

To be quite honest I've handled the 6D and it doesn't feel any less solid than any 5D model.

What I don't like about it is the fact that it doesn't have the little joystick selector on the back, instead it has a little d-pad thing inside the command dial on the back. It feels really spongy and I don't like using it at all.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Jesus christ man, why even buy something if you're not going to use it?

Give it to me. I'll use it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Are you just a hobbyist or what? I use my cameras primarily for video and even I have a way higher shutter count after a year.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It screams "we stole a pallet of 6D's" to me.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If you can wait (and afford it), Sigma is coming out with a full frame 24-70 f2 with OIS.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

What does "innovative" video features even mean.

It'll probably be like a crop version of the 6D, nothing terribly innovative about that aside from ISO performance.

So...are we going to have to wait another generation to see an improvement in dynamic range from Canon sensors?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

IanTheM posted:

I wonder if it'll have an aliasing filter in the hopes of making it more video friendly. I also wonder what the first DSLR to have a viewfinder that can switch between the OVF and OVF like Fuji, can't be that hard but it'll probably take 3-4 years before they bother.

Don't all DSLR's have an AA filter? I think only the D800e and the D7100 ship without one.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'd hazard a guess and say Canon are totally reluctant to put too much improvements into the video on their DSLRs while they're flogging the C-00 video camera series.

You can get a (hacked) raw video recording on a 5Dmk3, but their C-series cameras will only record 8-bit video of various flavors depending on how much you want to spend. It's so dumb, especially considering that the sensor for the C-cams are so much better designed for video but you pretty much don't have the option to do any better than 8-bit uncompressed over SDI or HDMI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

Pretty sure the EM-1 from olympus ships with no AA filter too.

No mirror means it's not a DSLR :colbert: