Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waarg
Apr 21, 2005

Thrashing in the waves

So for the last 18 months I have been shooting exclusively with a 1000D and 50mm f/1.8. I LOVE the 50mm for the image quality and I actually really like the tight FoV for photos I make for myself in fact I more often find myself wishing for a little more reach. It IS a little tight for documenting social occasions for Facebook though, and the AF is horrendous. I've recently upgraded my body to a 550D and now have some cash to spend to buy some lenses. The 24-105L seems like my perfect focal length range but unfortunately it's a fair way out of my price range. Are there any decent 3rd party lenses in that focal length region? If not I'm probably just going to get a 40mm f/2.8 and a 85mm f/1.8 as they both look like pretty sweet lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waarg
Apr 21, 2005

Thrashing in the waves

tarepanda posted:

What is your price range?
£3-400

Waarg
Apr 21, 2005

Thrashing in the waves

Ok, I've narrowed it down to either 24-105 or 100 2.8 macro and 40 2.8. To go with my 550d and 50 1.8. Anyone have a strong opinion either way??

edit: Forgot to mention, I'd be buying all of these second hand which makes them fairly equivalent price-wise.

Waarg fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 17, 2013

Waarg
Apr 21, 2005

Thrashing in the waves

Thinking of selling my 550D, 24-105 and 50 1.8 and getting a 6D and a 40 2.8. Good idea or great idea?