Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Replaced my focusing screen on my T2i today. Pretty easy however very stressful at the same time.

New screen still has dust on it. Lesson to be learned here: Don't worry about dust in your viewfinder you idiot.

At least my red focus light is visible again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So hey, glad that a lot of my questions about the 6D and 24-105mm f4 were answered on the previous page.

My question is: Would the 24-105 be a good lens for wedding photography? I figure I could run that and maybe keep my T2i with my 50mm 1.8 as backup?

What is the best route I should take here?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bobfather posted:

Depends. Are you going to bring speedlights with you?

Every wedding I have been to except for one has been too dark for an f4 lens without flash. I suspect they'd be even too dark for f2.8 without flash. Bring your own light, if you can.

Yeah I am pretty sure I would plan to use a speedlight of some sort, I haven't really started looking into those because I'm still trying to finalize camera + lens. Gets overwhelming man.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

the_lion posted:

The 24-70mm 2.8 is a nicer lens for sure, but I have the 24-105mm f4 myself and I shot a few wedding. They were mostly outside, inside I switched to 50mm.
There's 2 models of the 24-70, the newer one is small, less heavy and is weather sealed. According to wikipedia, it's a significant improvement on image quality.

If you had a flash, either lens would be fine inside I think unless it was a dungeon with no light.

If money is a real problem, look at reviews of the 3rd party 24-70s by Sigma or Tamron. I'm sure someone in the thread will have a bit more knowledge about those than I do. My guess is that they'll be cheaper, but the auto focus won't be as good.

I would like to look into the 3rd party lenses, I just don't know how to tell if they will crop on full frame sensors or not.

VVV Cool, thanks.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 6, 2013

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

aaaaaaahhhhhh

Excited.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It was also nearly 100 bux off at Amazon so not a bad way to go.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man, I don't know what thread to ask this in.

I have been asked to shoot some photos of a home tomorrow for a real estate listing. I am looking into a lens to rent for my 6D, and the widest available for rental is a the Canon EF 16-35mm 2.8L. Would that be able to do the trick? I figure with the full frame, I should get a little more space to capture, correct?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I figure if I had to shoot at the widest angle, I could see what Lightroom could do to adjust the skewing... I haven't played around with that feature that much since I haven't really needed it yet.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So all this back focus talk made me want to try it out on my 6D. Honestly I kind of like it, makes more sense to me.

I'm shooting a wedding tonight, we'll see if I stick with it.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So I'm starting to sort photos from my trip and I noticed something with some of the shots from my T2i:

100% crop. Shot with the 50 1.8 ISO 100, 1/250, F8.

It has this horizontal noise, I'm looking at my other photos and it seems that anything shot less than F8 doesn't seem to have this effect. Anyone have some insight as to what is going on?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

1st AD posted:

Just noise reduce in Lightroom?

I mean it's uggo FPN, but it looks like the camera was metering for the bright background and the shaded areas are just underexposed.

Oh yeah I'm not overly concerned about it and was planning on just doing noise reduction but I was just curious.

EDIT: HTP is disabled.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 12, 2014

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So I had an interesting experience with my 6D today.

I was doing some shooting with live view activated, and my third party battery I've got in there just dies with no change battery warning. So I pull out my OEM battery and stick it in. Turn on the camera, And my LCD screen is flickering like crazy. Eventually the flickering stopped and I haven't really noticed it come back.

But I dunno, maybe a tale of caution when using 3rd party stuff?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I dunno what thread to post this in. Sooooooo:

I just got back from a shoot, used my 6D + 24-105 F4, I imported the photos on to my HDD via Lightroom, they look fine. As soon as I start doing any kind of edit on the photo, this thin blue line shows up at the bottom (or side of the frame, if I shot portrait) in the preview and for a split second while it loads the photo... Then it will disappear.

Just seems really odd, and I feel like its a camera issue not a Lightroom issue. Was it caused by shooting at 24mm? Is it something I should be worried about?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I'm leaning towards software/hardware issue.

I made a new catalog and imported the photos and they don't seem to be doing that anymore.

Weird.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just as I made the bid for the competition, first rumors crop up about Canon taking mirrorless seriously and wanting to throw a fullframe MILC on the market in 2015. :toot:

Haha I was in the mirrorless thread looking at the competition as well.

Would this mean we could use the same lenses on their mirrorless offering? Or is this gonna be a wait and see kind of deal.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CrushedWill posted:

Are the lines described in the OP still valid? Thread is a year and a half old, and I have no idea how fast equipment is released as a general rule.

I'm considering a camera purchase and will be moving to Canon. Specifically of interest to me is an entry level full frame body, and I'm wondering if the 6d is still the best Canon option.

6D is best option if you are on a budget and want full frame.

If rough English doesn't bother you, this guy does some not so technical comparisons of the 6d, 5dmk3, and 7dmk2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJb5Cjdw3KA

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I use the 24-105 for all my portraits. Its a really great lens.

Only beef is that the zoom is a bit loose, so it walks out when you have the camera pointed down.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

NeuralSpark posted:

My girlfriend's mother asked me about my Canon gear the other evening at dinner, and wanted to know about buying DSLRs. I offered to help her decide on a model when she was ready to buy. Last night I found the box for her brand new T5.

:sigh:

When people ask for advice 99% of the time they just want validation for whatever purchase they were already planning on making.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Who makes a solid and affordable (ha) m43 to EF adapter?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Er sorry, I meant attach M43 lenses to my Canon. I'm interested in the Helios lenses for some video and portrait work.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh yes m42... My brain has been slowly betraying me over the past week.

So really any cheapo adapter will work? I've read that even with adapters there are issues that come up like the mirror not having enough clearance, so I was wondering if there are certain adapters that can help me avoid that problem.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I was at the dog park today, with my 6D + 24-105. And decided to shoot AI Servo which I have never really done before.

It worked pretty well. I noticed some instances where it sounded like the shutter speed slowed to something like 1/100 when I was shooting 1/500. Which kind of worried me.

Battery was at 75-50%. Was using center point focus. Image stabilization was on. Wasn't shooting burst.

Is this just a thing that happens in AI Servo? I'm not sure how to google this.

EDIT: Testing in my bedroom, seems to happen while i'm still focusing (back button focus) and dragging the camera.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 22, 2015

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
They don't appear to be, they don't appear to be blurry either. Just kind of a weird thing, wondering if the camera is just smarter than me and knows what its doing or its making GBS threads itself due to not really being built for the task.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The actual shutter noise/mirror.

EDIT: Just tested with my T2i and it does the same thing. So I guess its just a normal thing.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 22, 2015

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Big dumb idiot alert incoming:

I went to a community thing today despite the pouring rain and brought my 6D along. I have a plastic sleeve thing whatever that fits over the camera so you can shoot in the rain. What negates the use of the loving thing is when you decide to point your camera down and push the plastic out of the way to review shots while still standing standing in the rain.

Suddenly my directional pad was half working, OK button totally non-functional, review button brings up the delete photo option, Q brings up photo review, delete brings up menu. I removed the battery, wiped off the camera as best as i could, left it in the car, and grabbed the T2i and continued shooting (with a plastic sleeve, as well)

As we drove home I held up the 6D to the vents to get some heat to maybe dry it out. In retrospect I'm thinking this was between a bad and terrible loving idea... Was it?

Got the camera back home, decided to try it again, slapped in a battery, turned it on, and it seems that all the buttons have regained functionality. I didn't leave it on too long to really stress test it or whatever. I stuck camera + lens into a tub with a bed of rice:

Is this actually going to do anything? Or do I need to submerge the fucker in rice?

I'm such a goddamn moron.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'll keep it on the rice for another day or so. I've read other examples online of people reporting the same thing when they are out in the rain or even in humidity. Only one I've seen where the issues returned was a guy who likely had salt water get into his camera.

Fingers crossed.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 10, 2015

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
My 6D survived the rain it seems. Not sure if the rice bed was necessary or even would've helped in the first place.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
24-105, can hear and feel Dirt/Sand/Grit rubbing around in the tube that is in between the focusing ring and zoom ring when I adjust the focusing ring. How the gently caress it got in there is a good question. But should I worry about this?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Its worked out for me so far. Had some scares that have been mostly been my fault.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

geeves posted:

With mine I just used center point all the time. Never bothered with the rest.

Sounds like my 6D tbqh.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I tend to see that in my shadows when I shoot @100 ISO with my 550d.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
People swear by Wasabi. I've had one die in my 6D when I was shooting in live view which caused the LCD to flicker like crazy for about 10 minutes after I turned it back on. YMMV.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Funny enough my 6D + 50 1.8 fell off my lap onto the car floor today when I was trying to find my seat belt buckle and as far as I can tell it seems to be fine.

My t2i has taken multiple hits that were much harder than that and still works great.

Unrelated note: I put the 24-105 back on the 6D and I swear to god every time I take a lens off I introduce more and more dust to the focusing screen. Despite my precautions to avoid it.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 8, 2015

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Alpenglow posted:

Did yours also violently fling the battery out and pop the card door on impact?

I know mine did. And it was a very short fall to the car floor off my lap.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
A life wasted in science.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
God that is a lotta words I'm never gonna read.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Main dial on 6D gets pretty hard to spin every 3-5 clicks or so. Anyone got experience with this? I read in a couple places online that canon lubricates it as a fix and I'm wondering what they use and how they do it.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 21, 2016

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Buying a 6D for video lmao

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Mad Max shot a lot of their chase scenes on the 5dMk2 iirc.

Might be a safe bet to assume they were running magic lantern on those cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Based on the production photos here I just assume they set to F22 and hoped for the best :v: