Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

xzzy posted:

R8 feels like a dud to me, it's a good price point for someone's first FF but compromises on too much to get any growing room. Just tighten the belt and go for an R6m2 if you ask me

Wait in what way? I'm looking at it as a second to my R6 I for both video and photo. The smaller size is a big plus for my needs as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

No IBIS, no mechanical shutter, horrible burst rate with the first curtain electronic shutter. If you don't need those then yeah it's fine.

Yep those are all things I don't need or use. Thought maybe there was something critical (for me) I missed on the specs.

Now if they'd just finally release an RF 35L I'd be set. The 1.8 is a fine lens (and great for video with the frankly absurd IS) but lately I've been shooting a lot on the 70-200 2.8 and the quality difference feels way larger than it did on EF lenses. The RF L series is out of this world.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 22, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Why do you feel the 6 is not enough? We use a 5 and a 6 for weddings and other than resolution for prints (and giant file sizes) they’re indistinguishable. The autofocus is also exactly the same between the two in my experience. The 6 is near perfect unless you need mega resolution and the 6 ii or 8 add a bit more resolution.

We also had an R and RP before this and it’s night and day, no contest.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

echinopsis posted:

i

are you saying the RP is bogus? or that the R sucks compared to the R5 and R6?

They both felt like a half-way there measure and I wasn’t sold on Canons foray into mirrorless until the 5 and 6 hit. Part of that is definitely on the lenses at the time as well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here's two raws from the R6 and R5 respectively:

I can post 100% crops of others later but the colors are consistent and no issues from either.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If I’m shooting anything at a slower shutter speed I’m using a tripod yeah. Canon lens IS is much better than their body IS, especially at focal lengths where it’s a matter of practical shooting (keeping your shutter speed over 1/100th or so). The 70-200 2.8 has better IS than anything the bodies can do. And for video the IBIS is basically unusable because of the warping effect.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I’m curious what stuff you’re shooting where you rely on it so much. Dusk and night shots? Slower/longer lenses for birding?

The warping is definitely still present. I shot a mountain bike doc two weeks ago and on anything under 50mm it becomes very apparent, but over 50 it’s weaker and less useful anyways. The R5C doesn’t even have IBIS because it’s no good for video.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Still has the smaller form factor and battery type. For my uses though, I'd much rather have the better sensor than IBIS etc. I'm curious if it will have overheating issues on video though, given how drat tiny that body is.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Are you shooting through the EVF or lcd? The EVF actually eats through the battery significantly faster which seems counterintuitive to me. I have some Neewer batteries that have been reliable.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Not sure, maybe resolution related?

quote:

The R6 posts slightly better results: 380 shots per charge using the viewfinder in standard mode and 510 via the LCD

Crazy difference though. Make sure you have high refresh rate off as well, that cuts 30% off battery life under normal shooting circumstances. Also, get the LP-E6NH batteries as they're about 20% larger capacity.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BetterLekNextTime posted:

between used 85/1.8 EF (~$250)

This one. If you could stretch your high end a little or hunt out a bargain a 135 f2L would be even better. I've seen them hit $500.

https://radojuva.com/en/2020/03/sigma-art-and-canon-eos-circles/

Seems to be related to in camera lens correction and the camera thinking it's a canon lens. Turn off the lens correction stuff.

quote:

The treatment is quite simple: In the camera menu, disable automatic distortion correction. For example, on a camera Canon EOS 6D Mark II on the menu "Aberra correction the lens”Should be set to Corr. periphery. lighting .: OFF, Corr. chromium. Aberration: OFF, Distortion Correction: OFF, Diffraction Correction: OFF. Also, the latest lens firmware may help.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Canons new RF 100-300 2.8 is wild. Can't wait to see what else they can do with this mount.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shot a wedding vid on a Canon R7 with a Sigma 18-35 1.8 and fell in love with that combo. The oversampled 7k to 4k honestly looks better than the raw 4k from the R6 and competes with the R5C we shoot with. The Sigma is still a killer lens if you're on crop.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You can get upwards of 1500 shots on an R7 on one battery (burst high FPS, but still). There's a lot of little tricks that can get you 30-50% more shots per battery on these. The main thing is that the EVF uses significantly more battery than the LCD which is counterintuitive. Also, high refresh rate on the LCD sucks battery.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

litany of gulps posted:

Right, my experience with the R5 has been that it has enough battery life to never be an issue. It uses the same battery as the R7. But the RP and R8 use a smaller battery, and I have consistently found that that particular battery just doesn't quite last long enough. If I'm taking pictures at a soccer game or a dance or wildlife on a hike, the larger battery will always finish out the event or whatever with some juice to spare. The smaller battery always runs out just before the thing ends or I'm ready to quit.

Yeah, wasn't trying to say otherwise, just making them aware that there's a lot of ways to squeeze out comparable battery life to DSLRs with similar battery sizes. It's come a long ways from the early mirrorless or DSLR live view days.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You'll love it. The jump from mid gen DSLR to modern mirrorless is really unbelievable. The RF lens line is equally great.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

First full frame too? Yeah, you're going to have a blast. :blastu:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Couple months in with the canon r7 as mainly a video camera and second body for my r6 and I'm really loving it. The sigma 18-35 1.8 is a killer lens, and paired with the 70-200 2.8 on the r6 I have basically 24-200 range at 1.8-2.8 at hand which has been amazing for wedding and concert gigs. Throwing the 200 on it for extra reach has also been more useful than I imagined, and I could definitely see getting a 400-600 for even more reach on it. No real complaints other than the ibis not working with the sigma (it introduces a ton of shake and wobble, apparently firmware fixable with sigmas dock).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you shoot moving subjects like birds and races, the mirrorless line is a huge jump in auto focus capabilities. It feels like cheating. The R10 does have people/animals/vehicles for tracking as well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Probably better for the canon thread but while we’re on them here, what are folks using the RF control ring for? I only use it for exposure comp in concerts where lighting can change metering so drastically really quickly, so combined with exposure preview it can be useful for dialing in the shot (especially forcing silhouettes against strong backlight). But I am curious of other ideas for using it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

The worst part is the control ring is in a different spot for every lens so muscle memory is not possible.

This is pretty awful yeah. Still easier for me than having completely different dial layouts on my bodies.

I almost exclusively use the three custom modes these days with the following setups on both bodies:

C1 - Aperture priority, defaults to wide open on lens. low-high speed release, eval metering. Shutter button does zone-eye/object tracking, back button does point focus. This is what I use for wedding days where I may need to go between people and details constantly.

C2 - Shutter Priority, defaults to 1/250, high speed release, spot metering. Shutter button for all focusing. This is my concert setup where I run and gun 2 bodies a lot including an awkward left hand under the camera shooting wide angles while also holding the 70-200 at eye level in the right hand.

C3 - Landscapes - Backbutton point focus, manual exposure for everything. Single shot release. Pretty simple.

Don't know why I thought this was the general gear thread :lol:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What lens?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What adapter as well? Long lenses more often have back and front focus issues, especially third party, and especially especially on an RF adapter.

I would do some manual focus testing with focus peaking on at 10x zoom and check to make sure you’re not having front and back focus problems with that setup.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Can that sigma be updated with the sigma dock? I know they have some weird things with the canon ref adapter like IBIS not working and making the image super wobbly unless you update the lenses that have the problem.

When you test, shoot a comparison shot with single point focus on the same thing so you can A/B it as well and see if they give the same result. Try it at a bunch of focal lengths too, some big zooms can perform better or worse at certain lengths.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That’s not exactly a mystery as to what’s causing the YouTubers issue, he’s shooting in servo focus tracking at a long focal length/shallow dof and shooting high burst. Of course he’s going to get focus shifts because the camera and lens are constantly hunting focus while he’s shooting in burst. For that kind of shooting, eye/subject tracking focus on a back button and shutter only for the shutter release will serve you better. Hold the back button when your subject moves, but otherwise focus, let go, release shutter.

I took OPs issue as the focus missing all the shots but the camera saying it had the subject locked, which is different than it shifting between shots or registering a rock in the background as an eye. I’ve never had my 70-200 back or front focus while showing it had the focus point I wanted.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 2, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Need them to finally drop the 35 1.2 and the rumored fast 12mm.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Super wide without being fisheye also has a lot of use for video where the RF mount is kinda becoming one of the top standards. New Red cinema cans and others are using it now as well (partly because it can be adapted to Ef and PL so easily)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

RF's worst feature is the cap on the camera side. You can't just slap it on and twist, no you gotta line the notch with the red mark. EF didn't care.

Worst lens mount ever! :v:

Yeah I do hate that. Stopped even using them during gigs.

I also got a drat fingerprint on my sensor while switching lenses in the photo pit at a concert and I have no idea how. I always turn the cameras off before removing the lens, but i guess i didn't wait the 2-3 seconds it takes to close the guard over it. I also don't know how my finger got in there at all. Ugh.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

24-105 2.8 L being a power zoom is a game changer for a lot of videographers. Also a great single lens choice for a ton of photo situations.

The fact that you can have 24-300 range at 2.8 on just two lenses is wild stuff. Your back and wallet will hurt, but drat.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

gschmidl posted:

Make better lenses, Canon!.

This is such a wild thing to say when the Canon RF lineup already has all the standards in the best versions of those lenses we’ve ever seen by a mile (compare the EF 85 1.2 to the RF) but also entirely new lenses that were impossible with old mounts (28-70 f2, 100-300 2.8, 24-105 2.8, etc).

RF is already the best digital lens line that’s ever existed and it’s only getting better from here. It was a slow start sure, but they have absolutely killed it in the last few years.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

There is also a 15-35 2.8 for RF that’s about $1800. The 24 1.8 IS is also killer and cheap at 400-500.

But I see your issue, you said “better” when what you meant was “cheaper”.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

How did you trade in a lens you don't have? Also I assume you got the 2.8L and not the 4L (there are now 3 RF 24-105 lenses, two of which are L)?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

blue squares posted:

. Sure I don't have the 16mm but I didnt really like it,

Yeah I read that as you didn't have the lens, not that you won't now have the focal length

blue squares posted:

edit: also returned two overly-expensive peak design bags I had picked up to carry all of those lenses (to make the cost work so it would be an even trade). Won't need them anymore, and I can just grab something cheaper and stuff it with padded bags/small organizing bags as needed

This is the way to do it regardless of loadout IMO. I use a padded cube insert from Incase in a regular bag and it holds more than a comparable Peak design bag with better protection and space for other stuff or a second cube. I like the PD straps but everything else I've tried from them has not held up or has serious design flaws.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 3, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

echinopsis posted:

the RF looks good but also wtf at that price

Just got mine for an absolute steal

Only tested it indoor with the dogs since it was delivered after sunset, but I can tell it's a ridiculous lens. All at f/1.2:

Low light auto focus

even sharper than my RF 70-200 2.8, even at 1.2

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

It better take amazing pictures if they're gonna ask you to lug around 2 pounds of glass.

Coming from EF L glass in the DSLR days this still feels nice. The balance is great.

I was also surprised that the front element is so recessed and maybe half the size of the full diameter. I tend to like flare and won't keep the hood on much, so it's nice to not have to worry about a big chunk of exposed glass while shooting in some of the environments I work in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

RF 50 1.2 is a beautiful lens. The ring type USM is a slight downside but drat, that glass.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

:lol:

Though, this isn't even the first time canon rumors has said "we're really sure this time pinky promise" about the 35L. Until Canon says anything about it I'm not gonna believe it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I assume it's from the extra distance the adapter adds to the mount?

Big rumor that's been gaining traction is that Canon is announcing an RF 70-200 2.8 II with all internal zooming, which would probably also open it up to the extenders (current model doesn't work with them). I fit's not much larger than the I unzoomed, that's a big practical upgrade for me.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 4, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

That sounds like a rad update but I'd really like them to shave some weight off it and make an f4 version. I get that everyone loves them big apertures but I almost never go bigger than f8 so it's kinda wasted on me.

Do you mean an internal zooming F4? Cause you do know they make a regular RF 70-200 f4 already right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fellatio del Toro posted:

probably something Canon would need to fix, but they're obviously dicks about third party lenses

They’ve opened the RF mount up to third parties as of this past Fall. Curious to see what Sigma does