Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I've always thawed mine because I don't use any oil in my skillet, and I tend to not even use the oven when lazy*, but this makes sense. And they say they like the taste, so it seems worth trying at least once. Watching the pan flare up because of the freezer burn was pretty crazy.

If you want a steak don't freeze it, if you need to freeze it then flash-fry then throw it in the oven, I guess.

*just zoning out flipping a steak every ten seconds has a very hypnotic effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
woah woah woah

no one should be using oil in their pan when cooking a steak, unless it's pork or extremely lean beef.

the only steaks you should be cooking are ribeye, t-bone, NY strip, and flank/skirt. All of these should be marbled enough that they'll release their own fat. if you're worried about needing fat - trim off some of the side fat from these cuts, and put it in your pan before you turn on the heat. by the time the pan comes to heat, you'll have enough extra grease to cook your steak and not be a worrywart.

If you're cooking lovely sirloin or tenderloin, yeah, maybe use a little oil or render some fat - but otherwise you'll get better crust (and fond for a pan sauce) if you don't use oil to begin with.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

woah woah woah

Hey hey, if county fairs around the bible belt can deep fry kool aid or chocolate coated celery stalks stuffed with cheetos then I think we can deep fry a freakin' frozen steak for dinner, you know?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You're being overly dogmatic. There are cuts with no marbling at all that can still be tasty enough as steak. Consider any grass-fed beef.

Copious oil in the pan will give you a better sear than no oil - I don't understand the logic that would say otherwise.

(I only cook with a little clarified butter because I'm lazy and like to just cook spinach in whatever remains from the steak)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 12, 2014

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
This is a good article about some of those same dogmatic myths about steak:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

quote:

To test this, I pulled a single 15-ounce New York strip steak out of the refrigerator, cut it in half, placed half back in the fridge, and the other half on a ceramic plate on the counter. The steak started at 38°F and the ambient air in my kitchen was at 70°F. I then took temperature readings of its core every ten minutes.

After the first 20 minutes—the time that many chefs and books will recommend you let a steak rest at room temperature—the center of the steak had risen to a whopping 39.8°F. Not even a full two degrees. So I let it go longer. 30 minutes. 50 minutes. 1 hour and 20 minutes. After 1 hour and 50 minutes, the steak was up to 49.6°F in the center. Still colder than the cold water comes out of my tap in the summer, and only about 13% closer to its target temperature of a medium-rare 130°F than the steak in the fridge.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

No Wave posted:

You're being overly dogmatic. There are cuts with no marbling at all that can still be tasty enough as steak. Consider any grass-fed beef.

Copious oil in the pan will give you a better sear than no oil - I don't understand the logic that would say otherwise.

(I only cook with a little clarified butter because I'm lazy and like to just cook spinach in whatever remains from the steak)

this is about flavor, not about how much of a sear you get.

I'm not being dogmatic, I already caveat-ed the low-fat cases needing a little fat (sirloin, tenderloin, pork chops) - grassfed beef would of course be a natural extension of this caveat.

there's some special magic that happens when you throw a steak in a bone dry pan, or on a grill. it's the fat rendering and suddenly hitting the meat-juicy surface of the steak and creating a smokey/steamy gush of vapors that become part of the crust - or the fat+juices dripping down on to the coals and doing roughly the same thing that gives such great flavor.

if you oil you pan, the surface of the meat isn't initially exposed to this sort of smokey flavor building goodness. you can have an extra nice crust, but it just doesn't have the flavor you'd otherwise get. it's the oil wisking the fat/juices away from the meat, to evaporate around the steak while frying the poo poo out of the meat proteins - rather than the constant process of building a crust via moisture dissolving caramelized proteins on the pan and rebonding with the meat and rinse and repeat until it releases from the pan with your sear.

I apologize, I know this is all incredibly psuedosciencey and I'm probably not articulating as well as I should be - but this is basically my understanding of how flavor is created re: smokey meaty goodness. if you ask me to cite my sources, I'd reference a tenderloin cooked in 'oil fondue' (fryerlatored) vs a tenderloin seared in cast iron with a minimal brush of oil at most. poo poo tastes really different.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You definitely get a different taste with oil vs no oil. But a lot of people will use too much heat in the pan when cooking a dry steak and instead of grill marks you'll get a the entire surface 'grilled' which can be odd-tasting.

I use a touch of oil either on the steak or in the pan. Plus you can baste with that oil as well.

Too much oil and you'll get a 'fried' steak which again can be another taste you are looking for or not looking for, and you can also end up with a 'greasy' steak if you use too much oil or it's not hot enough.

Of course on a real grill you can't use oil other than seasoning the grates, or a little bit on the steak. Too much and you get flare ups, and the flames from an oil fire kissing your meat does not make a good steak.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Bob Morales posted:

But a lot of people will use too much heat in the pan when cooking a dry steak

Maybe I am misunderstanding the context, but in the previous GWS steak and cast iron threads, numerous folk including myself discuss getting our cast iron skillets screaming hot 500+ and throwing dry steaks in. This results in a wonderful, tasty crust. There aren't many oils that handle 500+ very well and I don't use them. I recall one seasoned chef posting here that gets his pan 700+.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

mindphlux posted:

I apologize, I know this is all incredibly psuedosciencey and I'm probably not articulating as well as I should be - but this is basically my understanding of how flavor is created re: smokey meaty goodness. if you ask me to cite my sources, I'd reference a tenderloin cooked in 'oil fondue' (fryerlatored) vs a tenderloin seared in cast iron with a minimal brush of oil at most. poo poo tastes really different.
Experience is king, so if it works in your experience go for it.

I will say though that the dry cast-iron method isn't something I ever saw in professional kitchens. Steakhouses do infrared broiler, other restos tend to use tons of oil.

I think the extra steaky-goodness is char, which is why steakhouses have a distinctive flavor as compared to steak in standard restaurants (in my experience). Perhaps cast-iron gets closer to that.

You're also right that you accounted for grass-fed beef, so I apologize. I forgot that it's a bit of a rarity - my perspective is skewed because it's the only stuff I eat these days.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 12, 2014

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
I've been asked to cook for a local fire station on Thursday night, and they've requested beef tenderloin. I'm thinking it's going to take about 9.5 - 10 lbs of beef, so basically two whole loins. I've never cooked that much at once, and I'm wondering what the best method would be?

Usually I do the sear in a hot pan, put in a 500 degree oven for 10 minutes method, but I'll probably have to juggle two or three pans with two ovens to get that done. Anyone have any suggestions for cooking large amounts at once?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Sear the whole loins and finish in a low oven, like 200-250F until you reach your desired internal temp. Alternatively do the same with seared steaks, just put them on a wire rack, with space in between so they don't get crowded.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Been looking for this thread for a while. Bought a house a couple of weeks ago and have finally been able to start grilling again. Dinner tonight:

DSCF1789 by jg zkc, on Flickr

DSCF1794 by jg zkc, on Flickr

Didn't turn out quite how I wanted due to some flare-ups, but it was still delicious! I was too busy eating to remember to take pictures of the juicy innards.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
where's the money shot?

also, your steak is lacking salt.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

fknlo posted:

I was too busy eating to remember to take pictures of the juicy innards.

Still though, looks like a pretty well marbled chunk of meat.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

No salt?

Sever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Paper With Lines posted:

Still though, looks like a pretty well marbled chunk of meat.

Yes, very nice. The steak looks good but please tell me the asparagus isn't limp.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There's definitely salt on there. You can see it on the paper and if you check out the huge size picture there's still some that hasn't dissolved on the steak. And the asparagus wasn't limp before I cooked it. I do however like it nice and tender and :flaccid:.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

fknlo posted:

There's definitely salt on there. You can see it on the paper and if you check out the huge size picture there's still some that hasn't dissolved on the steak. And the asparagus wasn't limp before I cooked it. I do however like it nice and tender and :flaccid:.

Those guys above are being pretty loving cruel. If someone plopped that down in front of me I'd give them a hug and eat the poo poo out of it.

As for the salt, I really like to almost oversalt before cooking, letting it sit for an hour or two to :airquote:get to room temperature:airquote: (that's such a lovely reason as it doesn't particularly matter - but it gives the salt time to tenderize and move the moisture around the meat). the remaining salt can always be quickly rinsed/wiped off before laying it on the heat, too.

A couple of pinches or turns of the knob of salt and pepper before cooking does nothing but give you a placebo effect.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 17, 2014

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

synthetik posted:

I've been asked to cook for a local fire station on Thursday night, and they've requested beef tenderloin. I'm thinking it's going to take about 9.5 - 10 lbs of beef, so basically two whole loins. I've never cooked that much at once, and I'm wondering what the best method would be?

Usually I do the sear in a hot pan, put in a 500 degree oven for 10 minutes method, but I'll probably have to juggle two or three pans with two ovens to get that done. Anyone have any suggestions for cooking large amounts at once?

Why not the reverse sear?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Guys I need advice.
Yesterday I did some steak. It was a bone-in ribeye (what we call Côte de boeuf here).

Here is what I did:

- Salt the meat well
- Insert thermometer inside the meat
- Add a bit of oil to the cast-iron
- Heat until smoking point (not too hot)
- Add meat
- Leave on one side 2 min, turn
- Leave on that side 2 min
- Turn every 1 min until a few degrees before cooking you want
- Add butter, garlic, rosemary
- Baste the meat, turn and baste again
- Meat is ready, remove from heat
- Let rest for 10 min

I read everywhere that the cast-iron must be as hot as the sun and very high etc... The thing is that we have an electric stove and if I put it to the max the meat will actually get charred marks instead of a nice crust so I had to lower it a bit.
My thermometer thing was saying that beef medium rare is 63°C. This seems a bit high, is this correct?
Also I must get the meat off the heat before actually reaching 63, right? Cause it will continue cooking a bit out of the heat or is that a myth?
I added butter at the end cause I thought it was nice but do you guys usually just do the steak without butter and aromatics?
I used coarse salt because we don't know what the gently caress is Kosher Salt in Europe.

Basically I'm trying to improve my technic cause this time the meat was a bit too rare in my opinion and I want perfect steak so I'm asking you guys to help me.

Le0 fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 18, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Le0 posted:

Guys I need advice.
Yesterday I did some steak. It was a bone-in ribeye (what we call Côte de boeuf here).

Here is what I did:

That's pretty much what I do. My apartment has an electric stove and I use a cast iron pan, or sometimes I use a calphalon griddle pan. Comes out incredible.

If you're getting char marks use more oil.

I don't have a thermometer but I prefer a nice marbled ribeye, and I shoot for a hair past medium-rare just make sure the fat all breaks down. I'll eat a loving raw steak without any problems, I just like a fatty cut cooked a little bit more.

If it was too rare for you, give it another 30 seconds on each side.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Le0 posted:

Guys I need advice.

My thermometer thing was saying that beef medium rare is 63°C. This seems a bit high, is this correct?

Your thermometer is lying to you. 63C (145F) is way past medium rare. I aim for 51C (~124F). I then take it off and tent it in foil and let it rest for a bit before serving.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Bob Morales posted:

That's pretty much what I do. My apartment has an electric stove and I use a cast iron pan, or sometimes I use a calphalon griddle pan. Comes out incredible.

If you're getting char marks use more oil.

I don't have a thermometer but I prefer a nice marbled ribeye, and I shoot for a hair past medium-rare just make sure the fat all breaks down. I'll eat a loving raw steak without any problems, I just like a fatty cut cooked a little bit more.

If it was too rare for you, give it another 30 seconds on each side.

Good to hear my technic is not too bad then. Actually it was overcooked for me but apparently it's because my thermometer thinks that medium rare beef is 63°C when it's actually lower than that.

atothesquiz posted:

Your thermometer is lying to you. 63C (145F) is way past medium rare. I aim for 51C (~124F). I then take it off and tent it in foil and let it rest for a bit before serving.

Thanks

I'll have to give it another try then, so sad to be eating steak :eng101:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I grew up eating one kind of steak in my family, top round London Broil (in a super secret marinade that i'm pretty sure is italian dressing, soy sauce, and Lea&Perrins). My mom and dad do that fantastically. However, they are now convinced that heavy marinade and very wet grilling is how you cook EVERY steak. My dad has been doing some strange things to NY Strip. He thoroughly wrecked a nice one the other day, over done in every way. How do I delicately let them down from their cooking ways? I must save the delicious souls of these cows.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

I grew up eating one kind of steak in my family, top round London Broil (in a super secret marinade that i'm pretty sure is italian dressing, soy sauce, and Lea&Perrins). My mom and dad do that fantastically. However, they are now convinced that heavy marinade and very wet grilling is how you cook EVERY steak. My dad has been doing some strange things to NY Strip. He thoroughly wrecked a nice one the other day, over done in every way. How do I delicately let them down from their cooking ways? I must save the delicious souls of these cows.

Either ask them nicely to cook the one you're going to eat specifically per your instructions and have them taste it, or cook one yourself and have them try it. I mean, it's different for everyone when you confront people's ingrained habits but so long as nobody screams and nobody slaps anyone else, you should be okay.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Akaushi Wagyu beef grass-fed ribeye. poo poo was 24$ a pound, but I'm gonna make it worth every cent. Salting it at 0.75% proportion of salt to steakmeat by mass, leaving it to dry a little overnight in the fridge on a rack. Plan to sous vide it at 130* F for 6-8 hours before chilling and then searing both sides until crusty in clarified butter.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
While I am a fan of the cooking method, I'm not super sure that is marbled enough to warrant what you paid for it.

I'm a noob though so I hope others in this thread tell me I'm stupid because I love sous vide.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah that looks like a choice steak you'd find at the supermarket...

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grass-fed meat naturally has much less marbling and a very different texture.

Edit for info: http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/resources/grass-fed-beef-grain-fed-beef

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 26, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm kinda scratching my head about this. I thought the whole point of wagyu was getting the marbling, and if you feed them grass instead of mash you're dampening their most unique feature.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
As I understand it, Akaushi wagyu just signifies the cattle breed. Grass VS corn is the determining factor in the marbling. However, grass-fed beef is said to be better for the cow as well as the environment, and is believed to produce a cut with a healthier balance of fats, which is why it's such a big thing now. Makes sense, since I bought this at Berkeley Bowl, which is all about organic, locally sourced hippie goodness.

I've only tried grass-fed steaks once before and thought it was kinda meh. This is so far just another experiment. Hope it's worth the price though.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Wagyu is typically grass fed for the first part of its life then gradually fed a mix of grain, not just corn. $24/lb is cheap, hence that's not very marbled.

I think you'd be better off saving a few $$ per pound and getting regular organic 100% grass-fed instead of paying a premium for a breed.

For fun:
http://www.costco.com/Japanese-Wagyu-Boneless-Ribeye-Roast-A-5-Grade.product.100082950.html

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 26, 2014

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

d3rt posted:

Wagyu is typically grass fed for the first part of its life then gradually fed a mix of grain, not just corn. $24/lb is cheap, hence that's not very marbled.

I think you'd be better off saving a few $$ per pound and getting regular organic 100% grass-fed instead of paying a premium for a breed.

For fun:
http://www.costco.com/Japanese-Wagyu-Boneless-Ribeye-Roast-A-5-Grade.product.100082950.html

:stare: I would love to get my hands on that entire slab.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

For grass-fed that's a good amount of fat. As someone who ate about four pounds of grass-fed a week for the past six months, that is definitely more fat than I'm used to seeing on grass-fed beef.

I probably wouldn't make paying extra for the small difference a habit, but I'd certainly try it for a one-off.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I've never been crazy about 100% grass-fed. Raised on pasture and finished on grain suits my palette a lot better.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Is it sacrilege to marinate a dry-aged ribeye?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Tender Child Loins posted:

Is it sacrilege to marinate a dry-aged ribeye?

Yes. Salt and pepper only, maybe a little butter to finish. Compound butter is as far as is legally allowed.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

The Midniter posted:

Yes. Salt and pepper only, maybe a little butter to finish. Compound butter is as far as is legally allowed.

Haha, thanks! I've never cooked a super-premium cut of beef before (because I'm poor), so I'm used to marinating, braising, etc to make up for low quality and tougher cuts.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

ShadowCatboy posted:

:stare: I would love to get my hands on that entire slab.
Sure, and I almost bought a pack of wagyu steaks from Costco that looked exactly like that as far as marbling went. I don't even buy meat from Costco but these were the best-looking steaks I'd ever seen in my life. I was really excited. But I was waiting in line at the checkout and I noticed some weird marks on the surface of the steak, so I read the label a little more carefully.

"THIS MEAT HAS BEEN MECHANICALLY TENDERIZED. COOK TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OF 63 C" etc etc. Thank goodness I noticed before I'd paid for them and gotten them out of the store.

Next time I was in I took a closer look at all the meat. Everything was mechanically tenderized. Even the prime rib roasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I've never heard of mechanically tenderized. Is it bad?

• Locked thread