Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

d3rt posted:

I've never heard of mechanically tenderized. Is it bad?

The big thing is that the needles aren't cleaned between meat parts, nor is the meat cleaned before getting stuck; there's cross contamination up everywhere, so you HAVE to cook it overly much to be safe, rather than just cooking the surface.

Just imagine that on a larger scale.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Oh man, costco was the nearest place I could source Prime grade. I'll have to pay close attention next time.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

d3rt posted:

Oh man, costco was the nearest place I could source Prime grade. I'll have to pay close attention next time.

You can ask them to slice you cuts off of the larger piece/roast/sub-primal and not tenderize it. Just ask the meat department folks (go during the day when they are there and ask nicely for what you want).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So I tagged along to one of the better local steakhouses this afternoon, and my friend talked me into trying a dry-aged ribeye "Pittsburgh" style. Can someone explain the appeal? I'd never heard of it before, but it's basically raw on the inside and completely charred on the outside. I'm normally a medium-rare guy, and the jump to rare didn't bother me much, though this was even rarer than most rares I usually see. But the charring was just...not pleasant. The textural contrast it provided was definitely great, but the crust just tastes like coal. Is that one of those things you are supposed to grow accustomed to over time, or are people in Pittsburgh just crazy?

I still ate the steak because it was a drat nice ribeye and I couldn't in good conscience send it back when it was exactly what I ordered, but I can't imagine ever purposefully ordering a steak that charred.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 22, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I still ate the steak because it was a drat nice ribeye and I couldn't in good conscience send it back when it was exactly what I ordered, but I can't imagine ever purposefully ordering a steak that charred.

Was it like the 'bark' in those BBQ rib roast things texans do? Or was it flaky charred burned like an outer marshmallow layer? I don't like burned anything. If it's black and can flake off don't let it get to that point. :mad:

I mean, I can eat raw meat like nobody's business, I like it, but I'm not a fan of burned.

I don't think I've ever had that bark stuff, either, but it doesn't sound all that appealing to me, either.

taken off Chowhound: It's called "Pittsburgh Rare" )(aka 'Black and Blue') because in Pittsburgh steel mill days the workers would bring meat to work for lunch and cook it on the hot metal. It would only take a few seconds to cook as the metal was so hot and it would be charred on the outside and basically raw on the inside.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 22, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Drifter posted:

Was it like the 'bark' in those BBQ rib roast things texans do? Or was it flaky charred burned like an outer marshmallow layer? I don't like burned anything. If it's black and can flake off don't let it get to that point. :mad:

I mean, I can eat raw meat like nobody's business, I like it, but I'm not a fan of burned.

I don't think I've ever had that bark stuff, either, but it doesn't sound all that appealing to me, either.

taken off Chowhound: It's called "Pittsburgh Rare" )(aka 'Black and Blue') because in Pittsburgh steel mill days the workers would bring meat to work for lunch and cook it on the hot metal. It would only take a few seconds to cook as the metal was so hot and it would be charred on the outside and basically raw on the inside.

Yeah, the crust is totally black. Apparently some people love it but I have no earthly idea how, unless all of your taste buds are burned out or something. It was like eating a really, really good steak that someone had rolled in a charcoal pit. It was still good, but it would have been way better with just a traditional sear. The crispy texture was cool, but not at the expense of flavor. I just wasn't sure if it was one of those "you just aren't sophisticated enough to understand" things, like how most people have to slowly learn to appreciate good wines and cheeses.

Also jesus working in a steel mill sounds terrifying.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I grew up in Pittsburgh and can confirm that lots of weird culinary poo poo in Pittsburgh is due to steel mills, including "Pittsburgh Rare" as a thing. See also: Primanti Bros sandwiches putting fries & cole slaw on the sandwich because mill workers only had 15 minutes for lunch, so they didn't have time to eat a sandwich and a side, so you just stuff the side into the sandwich. (All the other weird culinary poo poo in Pittsburgh is due to the Polish.)

I really like my steaks very rare, but I've never had Pittsburgh rare come out actually charred to a crisp. Typically they just come out blue rare.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have ordered steaks 'black and blue' before and ended up with a steak covered in bleu cheese. Not the end of the world but make sure they know what you're talking about when you order. This was in the south maybe they don't roll that way down there.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Bob Morales posted:

I have ordered steaks 'black and blue' before and ended up with a steak covered in bleu cheese. Not the end of the world but make sure they know what you're talking about when you order. This was in the south maybe they don't roll that way down there.

Bison steak with blue cheese is one of my all-time favorite steak moments.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What's a reliable way to cook steak indoors without filling my entire apartment with smoke? Half the time I try to sear it stove-top, no matter how good a job I do cooking the steak I always make a ton of smoke in the process. I think I cooked it in the oven once but I can't remember how I did so.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

In norway, regular prime sirloin is $26/lbs.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

What's a reliable way to cook steak indoors without filling my entire apartment with smoke? Half the time I try to sear it stove-top, no matter how good a job I do cooking the steak I always make a ton of smoke in the process. I think I cooked it in the oven once but I can't remember how I did so.

Reverse sear.

Thick steaks.
Salt/season your steaks an hour or so earlier.
Set your oven to 275 F.
Cast Iron Pan put your steaks in until they're at 100 F or whatever
Let your steaks rest on a plate while you crank up your skillet on the stovetop, add some oil then the steaks.
Flip often and get a crust.

Eat in your currently relatively smokeless environment since you didn't go crazy and cook the entire steak on the stovetop.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

C-Euro posted:

Season your steak, freeze it, sear the ever living gently caress out of one side. Put in oven at 200F, pull at desired cooking temp. Absolute best steak, imo.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah, the crust is totally black. Apparently some people love it but I have no earthly idea how, unless all of your taste buds are burned out or something. It was like eating a really, really good steak that someone had rolled in a charcoal pit. It was still good, but it would have been way better with just a traditional sear. The crispy texture was cool, but not at the expense of flavor. I just wasn't sure if it was one of those "you just aren't sophisticated enough to understand" things, like how most people have to slowly learn to appreciate good wines and cheeses.

Also jesus working in a steel mill sounds terrifying.

I always try my best to appreciate local customs, but that honestly sounds hideous. It's perfectly possible to get a solid crusty crust without turning the outer layer to ash like going through decon on The Andromeda Strain.

Just air-dry your 1.5+ inch thick steak overnight (I prefer to sous vide beforehand) in the fridge, then toss into a pan straight from the fridge with a generous amount of bacon fat. Flip every 30 seconds for a total of maybe 4 minutes. A very hard, dry crust will develop that is crunchy and delicious while leaving the interior wonderfully supple.

Some people recommend putting the steak in the freezer for 20 minutes also, to lower the internal temperature even further to prevent overcooking.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the steak advice, I thought about it some more and remembered that the one time I really got a smoke-free steak prep was using this entry off the GWS Wiki. I would imagine the actual cooking part (sear 40-50s stovetop on each side, cook at 450 for 2-3 min each side) generally translates across all steaks?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

C-Euro posted:

Thanks for the steak advice, I thought about it some more and remembered that the one time I really got a smoke-free steak prep was using this entry off the GWS Wiki. I would imagine the actual cooking part (sear 40-50s stovetop on each side, cook at 450 for 2-3 min each side) generally translates across all steaks?

Well wait are you using just olive oil? I'm pretty sure that has a very low smoke point...

EDIT: Also that steak has a total lack of crust.

EDIT2: Yeah that's your problem right there. Olive oil starts smoking at about 325* F. Something like clarified butter starts smoking at 450* F. Switch to a fat with a higher smoke point and you'll reduce this problem dramatically. Dunno why that recipe calls for olive oil that sounds like a terrible idea.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 5, 2015

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

ShadowCatboy posted:

Well wait are you using just olive oil? I'm pretty sure that has a very low smoke point...

EDIT: Also that steak has a total lack of crust.

EDIT2: Yeah that's your problem right there. Olive oil starts smoking at about 325* F. Something like clarified butter starts smoking at 450* F. Switch to a fat with a higher smoke point and you'll reduce this problem dramatically. Dunno why that recipe calls for olive oil that sounds like a terrible idea.

The wiki really could use some updates. I've found a lot of cool stuff on there, but every so often you run into dumb things like that.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Bad wiki page, don't read that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You can fry up a ribeye steak pretty good with olive oil on medium heat

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I bought a monster.

A 37 ounce porterhouse.

I've made plenty of steaks in my time and plenty of thick filets but I've never made a porterhouse this thick before.

Any tips? I like it between rare and medium rare. I cook my 2" thick filets to about 122F while on the pan and then tent and rest in foil for 5-10 minutes.

My typical technique is to use a 12" cast iron pan. I throw that into a 550F oven for awhile then I take it out and put it on the super high BTU gas burner on the stove top to get it a bit hotter. I leave it there long enough that my IR thermo maxes out (550+F).

I then put some high temp cooking oil (safflower/peanut) on both sides, about a spoon full and then spread it around to get good coverage. After it's been oiled I throw it on the pan and leave it for about 2 minutes per side or till I get a nice crust. After I'm satisfied with the sear, I flip it back to the original seared side and check the internal temp (lets stay it's 80F now). I put the entire pan in the 550F oven now.

When steak hits an internal temp of 100F, I flip it and leave it till it's 120ish.

I'm worried that with a steak this big I'm going to end up either having a raw steak in the middle (I dont mind if it's cool, but the old lady likes it at least a bit warm, even if it's red). OR by the time the middle is up to temp, the outside ring will be super dry.

Edit: I also have a gas grill that easily gets up to 600-650 with a side burner if you guys think that might be better.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You should reverse sear something that large imo

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

You should reverse sear something that large imo

Thanks, I guess I'll give this technique a whirl tomorrow. I'll post pictures on how it turns out

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Beer cooler sous vide, then sear?

You could go balls out crazy:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/06/slow-smoked-porterhouse-steak-recipe.html

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Forgot to post (crappy) pictures! Steak turned out amazing. Of of the best steaks I've ever had.

I reverse seared it. Salt and pepper and then on a cooking racking at 250-275 till it hit 125degF (should have pulled it out sooner, maybe 121/122).

Then let it rest while I put a cast iron pan on the highest BTU burner till it was greater than 550F. I oiled one side but forgot to oil the other before i put it on but it turned out great anyways.

Sorry for some blurry picks but thanks for the advice.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's not bad. It's hard to cook a t-bone in cast iron because the bone lifts the meat off the pan.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
What temp should I pull the steaks to have them coast up to medium rare?

Also, I've got leftover bacon fat I'd like to use in place of oil. Good idea or bad idea? What's the smoke point?

We are frozen in here, so I'm thinking of trying the reverse sear method to cut down on smoke since I can't air the house out.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

QuarkMartial posted:

Also, I've got leftover bacon fat I'd like to use in place of oil. Good idea or bad idea? What's the smoke point?

We are frozen in here, so I'm thinking of trying the reverse sear method to cut down on smoke since I can't air the house out.

Medium rare is what, 140F on the inside? I'd suggest pulling it at 8 degrees less than the temp you want. So, 132F. That generally works for most small-ish meat cuts. A big ol' potroast'll probably do it at 10 or 12.

Bacon fat - great idea. Smoke point is up past 350, at least. It's basically tasty lard. It'll be a little saltier than normal oil, with a smokier flavor, so adjust seasons a bit.

Reverse sear's fantastic.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I would aim for 130 for med rare, so pull at like 127 or so.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Pulled at 122 and ended up rare, and there's nothing wrong with that. Ended up being tasty as hell. Reverse sear did the trick, too.

I didn't have the pan hot enough to get a good crust though. Something to fix for next time.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Drifter posted:

Medium rare is what, 140F on the inside? I'd suggest pulling it at 8 degrees less than the temp you want. So, 132F. That generally works for most small-ish meat cuts. A big ol' potroast'll probably do it at 10 or 12.

Bacon fat - great idea. Smoke point is up past 350, at least. It's basically tasty lard. It'll be a little saltier than normal oil, with a smokier flavor, so adjust seasons a bit.

Reverse sear's fantastic.

Rare - 120-125
Mid-rare - 130-135
Medium - 140
Mid-well - 150
Well - gently caress you , I won't do it, get out of my house/restaurant.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkMartial posted:

Bacon fat is p much the only thing I'll sear my steaks in. It's fantastic poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ShadowCatboy posted:

Bacon fat is p much the only thing I'll sear my steaks in.

And burgers.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I am bad at taking photos but ok at making steak.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
That looks pretty awesome. Nice crust. I bet there was a fuckload of smoke.

I tried to do the ~newly in vogue~ reverse sear on the grill (I'm usually a dry cast iron guy) and ended up with a smoked steak.

Don't get me wrong, it tasted good. But it was drastically overcooked for a 14 dollar New York Strip. I ended up eating some of it as steak and then used the rest of it in sandwiches or with eggs.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Paper With Lines posted:

That looks pretty awesome. Nice crust. I bet there was a fuckload of smoke.

I tried to do the ~newly in vogue~ reverse sear on the grill (I'm usually a dry cast iron guy) and ended up with a smoked steak.

Don't get me wrong, it tasted good. But it was drastically overcooked for a 14 dollar New York Strip. I ended up eating some of it as steak and then used the rest of it in sandwiches or with eggs.

I only cook steaks on cool windy nights so I can open every window in my house. If it does not look like a smoke bomb in the pan when you drop the butter in, you are doing it wrong.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ColHannibal posted:

I only cook steaks on cool windy nights so I can open every window in my house. If it does not look like a smoke bomb in the pan when you drop the butter in, you are doing it wrong.

I don't think burning the oil/butter makes for a good steak. If it's super duper hot in the pan, I'll just go in dry and build with butter nearer the end.

I think people have some pretty strange and wrong ideas when it comes to cooking steaks.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Drifter posted:

people have some pretty strange and wrong ideas when it comes to cooking

This is now a much more accurate statement.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

This is now a much more accurate statement.

Ho ho, zing!

You can't seriously tell me that burning the gently caress out of butter is ever a good thing.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Drifter posted:

Ho ho, zing!

You can't seriously tell me that burning the gently caress out of butter is ever a good thing.

I've never burned the butter when I use it to make steak. You add it towards the end, it isn't the primary oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Paper With Lines posted:

I've never burned the butter when I use it to make steak. You add it towards the end, it isn't the primary oil.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

• Locked thread