Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

No Wave posted:

If you can cook a 3/4" to 1" steak in two minutes you are cooking on the sun.

To be fair I don't go for medium rare I go for rare. The pan is hot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

No Wave posted:

If you can cook a 3/4" to 1" steak in two minutes you are cooking on the sun.

European kitchen burners tend to be higher power than American at similar price ranges.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
If you crank the heat on the busted flat top at work(which is getting replaced, huzzah!) you can get it up around 8-900. I could probably cook a 3/4in steak on there in 2min.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

If you crank the heat on the busted flat top at work(which is getting replaced, huzzah!) you can get it up around 8-900. I could probably cook a 3/4in steak on there in 2min.

Well yeah I was talking home kitchens, when you look at professional kitchens I am not sure if there's any difference at all, just comparing BTUs on our piddly burners to european burners (even the cheapest ones) makes me jealous.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I know my triply cuisinart 13in can reach at least 450 on a coil. I dropped a few tablespoons of sesame oil in the pan to do some stir fry and instant ignition. So, a cast iron pan could probably hit 6-700. I wouldn't recommend it because home vent hoods suck.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Fo3 posted:

You could do what gravity suggested and buy a "roast", but there's only 'topside' roasts I've seen, never seen a scotch fillet (rib eye) roast, and any scotch fillet has been about $25+/kg.

You don't get prime rib (standing rib roast)?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, can get rib roasts.
I was talking about Grav's suggestion on buying whole cuts/'roasts' of a meaty part of a cow if you don't have a butcher and everything pre cut was too thin. So bulk buying and cutting your own steaks as thick as you like from meaty primals type of roasts.
EG slabs of primals kept large as a "roast", like scotch fillet, tenderloin, rump, topside etc that you can turn into steaks yourself.

Edit: VVV Ah, OK, rib-eye is not a cut of beef here, I have never heard the term before.My local shops don't sell rib roast but I know there is some places that must as I've seen it used in recipes from Australia.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 1, 2013

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Fo3 posted:

I was talking about Grav's suggestion on buying whole cuts/'roasts' of a meaty part of a cow if you don't have a butcher and everything pre cut was too thin. So bulk buying and cutting your own steaks as thick as you like from meaty primals type of roasts.
EG slabs of primals kept large as a "roast", like scotch fillet, tenderloin, rump, topside etc that you can turn into steaks yourself.

Rib roasts are what ribeye steaks are cut from. If you can get the rib roast you can cut your own ribeye steaks.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Fo3 posted:

Edit: VVV Ah, OK, rib-eye is not a cut of beef here, I have never heard the term before.My local shops don't sell rib roast but I know there is some places that must as I've seen it used in recipes from Australia.

Where in Aus are you? I'm not living there right now, but I can give you suggestions depending on where you are. You can buy whole rib eyes in Australia, in Australia we call them 'scotch fillet' roasts. Same cut, just a different name.

femcastra fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 1, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, I mentioned that before, (rib-eye=scotch fillet), but it's very pricey, higher priced than t bones for example.
I'm in Perth BTW.
I have been checking out places, mainly because of this thread. one place did have scotch fillet roasts advertised for $12/kg but the offer must have ended as they were $22/kg for a bulk scotch fillet roast when I got there. they did have rib roasts too, but that must be what they call it here after they cut the scotch fillet out of it, because there was little meat left on it for sure!
I found this video that's pretty cool if I do in future find a whole cut rib roast with the fillet still there of course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7lamJTldU

Edit: That smaller muscle he had at about 1.45s, (and probably the still shot you have right above in the YT link!), was about the size of the rib roasts I saw at my shop, definitely not the rib eye/scotch fillet on the bone for sale here as a rib roast.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 3, 2013

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Sup Perth bro :respek:

I can't remember where but my ex found these huge 'Kimberly rib eye' steaks that were about 500gm each. I guess (duh) they're from the kinberly region. pan seared and thrown in the oven for 5 mins they were amazing. I think one of them was pre-marinaded or something.

Anyway if you want a decent steak in Perth that's a good bet. Oh you want to know where to get them... no idea sorry. I think maybe Carine Glades shopping center had a butcher that rings a bell, but that's a long way to go on a hunch. There's apparently a butcher that will sell you pretty much any animal meat you want further up north, but I wouldn't know where to start looking for him.

timmo
May 29, 2004

So here in the US, the version he's cutting here is called a Delmonico (or at least one version of a Delmonico). We don't tend to cut the cap of the Rib-eye, due to the fact that all you can really do with it after that point is make stew meat or grind out of it. Why you'd cut the cap off anyways is beyond me, that's one of the best parts of the steak.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Found this video that shows how they butcher a forequarter here.
He cuts away the rib fillet/rib eye/scotch fillet and leaves that small bit of meat behind to sell as a rib roast.
http://youtu.be/tGGnNvmsl5k?t=5m58s

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Got the grill up to 650-700.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
It's 2013, if you can't cook a steak at this point, good luck.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

indoflaven posted:

It's 2013, if you can't cook a steak at this point, good luck.

You'd be amazed at how many of my friends (young 20 somethings) whenever I cook them a steak. The idea of applying high heat to a steak to get it to medium rare just doesn't compute.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
http://thechive.com/2013/05/23/a-mans-guide-to-cooking-the-perfect-steak-17-photos/

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

My father lied to me. :negative:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I love how lovely and uneven their doneness chart is. Half well done and half rare is not medium.

MANLY MEN RRRRRRR

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
To be fair, the Chive has great collections of pictures of butts.

To keep this steak related, I was quite happy with my medium rare sirloin that I seared up tonight and sliced thingly with some good horseradish on freshly baked bread:

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 7, 2013

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I picked up a bit of buffalo on a whim today. Not a great cut a meat, just two little eye of round cuts, maybe a 1/4lb each. What the hell, it was cheap. It's sitting on the counter now, letting the salt work its magic.

My first thought is to just do a regular pan-sear, butter-baste job on it, which I've always found works fine for beef round so long as you don't go past medium-rare or so. Anyone got any better ideas? I'm also a little tempted to flatten the poo poo out of it and make chicken fried steak. Hm.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Doh004 posted:

To be fair, the Chive has great collections of pictures of butts.

To keep this steak related, I was quite happy with my medium rare sirloin that I seared up tonight and sliced thingly with some good horseradish on freshly baked bread:

That's definitely a great level of doneness and it looks like it's got a nice crust. But did it just not rest sufficiency? Because that looks like a lot of juice.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doh004 posted:

To keep this steak related, I was quite happy with my medium rare sirloin

:hfive: steakfriend. I sirloin'd too. Grilled and finished with a pat of butter and some gray salt. Served with a baked potato and some wok fried garden veg.

Sirloin steak, gray salt by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

ShadowCatboy posted:

That's definitely a great level of doneness and it looks like it's got a nice crust. But did it just not rest sufficiency? Because that looks like a lot of juice.

Rested it for ~12 minutes on that plate, took it off and sliced it my cutting board and put the remaining, unsliced steak back on the plate. For some reason, a lot of moisture came outta the steak while it was sitting there. I thought it was a bit strange but the meat was still completely juicy so who knows :iiam:

GrAviTy84 posted:

:hfive: steakfriend. I sirloin'd too.

Steak night, best night.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

There's no such thing as 'too much juice'. There is only 'not enough potatoes'

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Bob Morales posted:

Definitely laughed out loud at work and people looked at me funny. Thanks jerk.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Tendales posted:

I picked up a bit of buffalo on a whim today. Not a great cut a meat, just two little eye of round cuts, maybe a 1/4lb each. What the hell, it was cheap. It's sitting on the counter now, letting the salt work its magic.

My first thought is to just do a regular pan-sear, butter-baste job on it, which I've always found works fine for beef round so long as you don't go past medium-rare or so. Anyone got any better ideas? I'm also a little tempted to flatten the poo poo out of it and make chicken fried steak. Hm.

I'm sure I'm too late to make a real recommendation here, but buffalo (and elk and venison and bison and pretty much every other red-but-not-cow meat I can think of) is super lean, so you probably don't want to chicken-fry it; it'll get tough. I like to do that kind of stuff nice and rare, and throw some compound butter on top.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
I'm cheap and don't want to buy expensive high quality steaks, but all of these recipes tell me I should get them. Does anyone have any "cooking cheap beef" recommendations? Top Sirloin is usually what I seem to find on sale for $4.99/lb or whatever, but I might be willing to step it up to the slightly nextest level if that is completely unworthy of the title of steak. I'm willing to accept that I shouldn't be cooking Chuck like steak (even though it is so so cheap :(), but I will be sad to lose my Top Sirloin if I have to.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

smashthedean posted:

I'm cheap and don't want to buy expensive high quality steaks, but all of these recipes tell me I should get them. Does anyone have any "cooking cheap beef" recommendations? Top Sirloin is usually what I seem to find on sale for $4.99/lb or whatever, but I might be willing to step it up to the slightly nextest level if that is completely unworthy of the title of steak. I'm willing to accept that I shouldn't be cooking Chuck like steak (even though it is so so cheap :(), but I will be sad to lose my Top Sirloin if I have to.

Here's my $.02

I buy cheap cuts to make steaks because I am a poor. I simply salt the meat, and set it in the fridge for an hour or two. Usually I'll add some crushed garlic and whatever herbs I have at the time (except mint... although I bet someone could get that to work too), usually rosemary because there's a huge bush a block away. I wash the steak off after that, and let it dry... the main thing I want is the beef flavor, the garlic and herbs are just for complexity.

The salt turns my poor man's slab of cow into something decently tasty, and I can spend my money on more veggies after I've had my steak craving satiated. The texture is improved quite drastically, it's not Prime beef, but it's better than expected for the price. I may try basting with the aromatics in the oil, this is new to me, and it sounds like a wonderful idea as well; basting adds more flavor potential to a turkey, and on a crummy cut of meat, flavor may help overcome the texture.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

GrAviTy84 posted:

:hfive: steakfriend. I sirloin'd too. Grilled and finished with a pat of butter and some gray salt. Served with a baked potato and some wok fried garden veg.

Sirloin steak, gray salt by gtrwndr87, on Flickr
gravity, once again, doing everything right

Bob Morales posted:

This is a travesty. Do your dishes or something b4 you eat, drat.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

For those of you looking for good 'cheap' steaks, try to find flatiron steaks, also sold as top-blade chuck steak. It's usually relatively cheap, yet it's marbled well and second only to the tenderloin in tenderness.

The cool thing about it is that it's marvelous in stews as well as seared and served med-rare.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It's a minor pet-peeve of mine that top-blade steaks get called flatiron these days. It's the same meat, but the flatiron is a different cut. Hmph.

My grumpiness aside, I agree that it's a great value for the money. I find that I don't even get a poo poo about the connective tissue in a top-blade steak. Cook it hot and cook it fast, and the connective tissue just gets a little chewy, totally edible with the rest of the delicious steak.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

smashthedean posted:

Cooking roast beef in the oven can be a really cheap way to get some delicious beef with cheap equipment. I personally like to use the sirloin tip roast (Not the same as a tri tip - the sirloin tip comes from where the round and the loin meet) or even a generic rump roast. Make sure it's at least 2.5 pounds (I normally go for 3) and cover it in this mix of salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme, and olive oil. Preheat your oven to 350 and toss that big ol' hunk of meat in there on a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet with a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of it. Roast until you're at 125 degrees F, take it out, and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes (it'll move up to 130 degrees F). If you're a gravy person feel free to add some cornstarch and beef broth/stock to the drippings and toss them on mashed potatoes. It'll be red gravy from all the paprika, but god drat if it isn't delicious.

Make sure to cut the beef against the grain due to the varying levels of cheap beef you could be using. When you take your initial slices off the night you cook it, you should be trying to slice them paper thin.

Around here (Wisconsin) you can get a sirloin tip roast or a rump roast for $3.50-$6.00 a pound depending on sales and the vendor. For $10-$18 you can get enough steak for 3 meals for 2 people at the price of a single overcooked Applebees/Outback/other lovely chain restaurant steak.

I like to cook these up on Friday night and eat them as a roast that night. Then Saturday afternoon we eat steak sandwiches (reheated steak with raw onion and dijon mustard) and on Sunday we have steak and eggs. To reheat the steak slice it (against the grain) half the thickness of a piece of bread and give it 10-15 seconds per side in a pan on medium with some olive oil in it. Put the oil in when you turn the burner on and wait until the oil splatters when you toss in some water off your fingers. The additional cooking and the extra long rest period (sitting in the fridge that night/multiple nights) will make it more tender than the original roast was. Don't let the steak sit in the pan for more than 30 seconds total or else it won't still be red in the center. This, by the way, is also the correct way to reheat any properly cooked steak.

I'd never say it's as good as a properly cooked steak, but it certainly is a cheap and idiot proof way to make yourself some medium rare beef.

A GIANT PARSNIP fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 9, 2013

Musings of the Id
Jun 8, 2013
I am surprised that I haven't seen much about using the broil setting of an oven. It can turn out a very nicely cooked steak quickly. Especially when it starts to downpour and you already have the charcoal going in your loving grill.

Pre-heat oven to high broil

I like the warm/salt/follow with a very light coating of olive oil to start. In a (preferably) cast iron skillet, sear on both sides for 60 sec.

Move steaks to broiler pan, and immediately put in the high rack of the oven under the broiler. Time depends on what temp/how thick the steak (for me, for a 1.5" sirloin, I find it tends to hit medium rare at about 3.5 min per side. Use your fingers to test. Don't burn them off...your girlfriend will weep).

Take out. Allow to rest 5-10 min. Savour.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Doesn't cooking with such a high heat turn the oil out? Wouldn't you burn it if you're using temperatures hot enough to crust a steak in 2-3 minutes?

If it's that hot, I don't think you'd need any sort of heat transfer help.

At best, shouldn't you oil it once the flame's off and use any residual pan heat to help with whatever the oil does?

Musings of the Id
Jun 8, 2013

Drifter posted:

Doesn't cooking with such a high heat turn the oil out? Wouldn't you burn it if you're using temperatures hot enough to crust a steak in 2-3 minutes?

At best, shouldn't you oil it once the flame's off and use any residual pan heat to help with whatever the oil does?

I've tried both ways. You raise an interesting question. Based on my experience, the oil does not burn (even at 500), and helps hold in some of the juices, and gives it a nicer brown.

I honestly admit, though, I have not thought about the cooking science behind that one. All I can give are my experiential results. That being said, I like the oiled results better, as does my wife.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It almost certainly does not help "hold in juices".

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

If I'm cooking a steak with a nice fat cap, I'll just put that edge on the pan first and let it render/crisp up, then cook the steak in its own fat.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Drifter posted:

I crust my steaks in a cast iron, usually it takes 30-60 seconds for it to crust nicely without burning. Pat the steak dry with a paper towel, season and put it in a dry cast iron pan. It's done searing when the steak easily lets go of the pan. After that I finish in a colder pan depending on type of steak.

Using oil shouldn't burn the oil on a regular stove top however, my induction top switches off from overheating long before it singes a neutral high temp oil like rape seed. I should actually have had that overheating safety switched off, but cba as it's perfectlyok for my daily use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

ShadowCatboy posted:

Now some of you may also have heard about the salt-tenderizing method. Basically, sprinkle a ton of salt over your steaks, wait a couple hours, rinse, then sear. I didn't like this method too much either: my steaks came out tasty flavorwise, but there was a textural change that I really didn't like. What happened was that my steaks hadn't simply become tenderized, they'd become a little bit cured, like ham. While ham is delicious, my steak had lost some of that natural raw quality that I liked so much.

For cheap cuts, I swear by this salt-tenderizing method. Science turns a $3 manager's special into something amazing! You can even layer herbs on top of the salt and get some of that essence into the steak when the meat relaxes (or not, if you prefer a steak that tastes like beef ;) ).

But a couple hours in the salt is too long. I let them sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes, rinse off everything, dry well, and then sear. I get a great crust that way. Longer and I suspect it would be like cured meat, like you say. Might even fall apart, depending on the cut.

I don't claim to be a steak expert or anything, but I've had great luck with this method. However, I've only ever used it on sirloins and some cuts that are largely considered inferior. Never tried it on a ribeye or anything like that.

Forgive the poor camera-phone picture, I hope it's clear enough to convey the idea. This was steak for Father's Day, prepared using the salt method and then cooked on the grill. Great crust, nice and tender inside. If the cut looks odd, that's because these were chuck steaks (:monocle:). They were dirt cheap and fatty, but after the salt-tenderizing method they had the tenderness and flavor of a far superior cut. My dad's kind of a steak snob, so this was basically to prove a point that any cut, done correctly, can be good. It was very satisfying to see him clear his plate.

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 11, 2013

• Locked thread