Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Pork to 150F?! :getout:

Nothing wrong with Ducasse method, but I prefer freezer steak and a 200F oven. Season steak, freeze steak, sear one side, pop into oven with a T of butter, pull at 110F, carry over gets me just under 115, and devour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:shrug: If you're cooking lean-rear end supermarket stuff, sure it's gonna be dry. But 90% of my pork is local, and I find the texture of med-rare-ish pork to be kinda offputting. I prefer cooking to 145 or 150, and the fattiness of the meats I get keeps it just right.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Pork to 150F?! :getout:

Nothing wrong with Ducasse method, but I prefer freezer steak and a 200F oven. Season steak, freeze steak, sear one side, pop into oven with a T of butter, pull at 110F, carry over gets me just under 115, and devour.

I guess I have to try one of these freezing methods. Seems to me like all the extra water would hurt in making a good crust, but maybe not. I'll give it a shot...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Casu Marzu posted:

and a strip steak

and a strip that miche did

Basically if you're a competent cook, it turns out great.

I don't do it all the time, but I wouldn't write off the technique completley.
I really can't believe that these were cooked for anything like 40 minutes.

Ducasse method also talks about steak giving off multiple tablespoons of oil, which definitely didn't happen in the steaks above.

I don't see anything wrong with cooking meat on a hot pan that's not hot enough to carbonize and then finishing with butter, but there's no reason to call that the Ducasse method, that's just... steak.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 4, 2014

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
Any tips on how to keep the juices IN the steak while letting it rest? Every time I take the foil off after resting the plate is full of juice and the steak is dry in places (mostly on the outside, the center usually gives a taste of what could have been). I am using a coated pan to fry steaks and usually oil them before I put them in.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

FeastForCows posted:

Any tips on how to keep the juices IN the steak while letting it rest? Every time I take the foil off after resting the plate is full of juice and the steak is dry in places (mostly on the outside, the center usually gives a taste of what could have been). I am using a coated pan to fry steaks and usually oil them before I put them in.
You're overcooking them!!!! Probably.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Yep. Sounds like you're overcooking the part of the steak close to the surface while you're developing your crust, which leads to narrow bands of dry overcooked greymeat even if the center of the steak is your preferred doneness. You might be better suited to the reverse sear method mentioned earlier in the thread (within the last couple pages at least).

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

FeastForCows posted:

Are you letting your pan heat up to screaming, smoking hot for a long time in advance? I'm talking cast iron let it go on the stove on high for 10 minutes heating up.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

Nicol Bolas posted:

Are you letting your pan heat up to screaming, smoking hot for a long time in advance? I'm talking cast iron let it go on the stove on high for 10 minutes heating up.

Not quite for 10 minutes, but it's piping hot, yes. Temperature should not be the problem.

^^^ I'll give the reverse searing a try, thanks!

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I should have added--you need a pretty heavy pan. Cast iron is thick and dense, which is why it takes so long to heat, but when you drop your steak in it also won't lose all of its heat immediately. If you're using a thinner, lighter pan, it won't work as well, because the temperature drops the second the steak hits the pan.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

A bit late to the oil chat, but I like to buy some beef fat from the butcher, render it into tallow, and use that. It's got a high smoke point and a nice flavor. Also, mushroom cooked in tallow are delicious, and you can make candles with the excess!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

A bit late to the oil chat, but I like to buy some beef fat from the butcher, render it into tallow, and use that. It's got a high smoke point and a nice flavor. Also, mushroom cooked in tallow are delicious, and you can make candles with the excess!
Smoke point's not that high - clarified butter's is higher.

Cooking beef in beef fat has its own appealing logic, though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I've posted before about my mysterious metal pan that cooks perfect steaks, yeah I'm retarded. I just realized that the reason I'm getting amazing steaks is because I'm using the Ducasse method.

So mystery solved. Thanks thread!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I'm a big fan of Alton Brown's podcast and Good Eats type stuff, so I'm happy that he's started posting short cooking videos on youtube. His most recent one is on charcoal searing skirt steaks and it looks easy and tasty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5y2voEWJ6U

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I managed to pick up a 2" bone-in ribeye at $6.99/lb. Definitely the thickest steak I've ever gotten my hands on. I usually sear on a cast iron so hot that my fume hood does nothing to prevent half of my apartment becoming uninhabitable for a couple hours.

This time around, I want to try Ducasse. I'm using this page 2 post as a starting point, and googling for other opinions.

demonachizer posted:

Instead of searing the poo poo out of a steak, I strongly urge you to try the method that the french use.

Take a thick cut rib-eye, dry it off completely and grind some pepper on one side and heat up your pan on medium. Put the fat edge down and cook it like that for 5 minutes. Then cook the peppered side down for five minutes in its fat. While it is cooking pepper the raw side. Flip the steak and cook for three minutes. Now take the steak out of the pan and drain the fat (if I am making many steaks I use two pans). Put two tablespoons of butter in your pan and let it get hot again (a couple of cloves of garlic can go in at this point as well if you want). While it heats up you can salt the steak on the three minute side. Put it salt side down and cook for five minutes. Salt the unsalted side while you wait. Flip and cook for three minutes and you are done. It will have an incredible crust, great flavor, and assuming you start with a room temperature steak, should be perfectly medium rare. It won't have the harsher flavors that come from searing the steak.

Alain Ducasse and I am pretty sure Guy Savoy uses this method.

EDIT: I like my steak a bit rarer than medium so I use 4 and 2 minutes then 2 and 4 minutes.

I won't be able to do this for at least a week, so the steak's in the freezer for now.

Super-nervous, so any advice is appreciated. Cast-iron vs. non-stick (those are my only choices)? It seems like non-stick isn't a problem because the cooking times are so long that heat-retention isn't as big of a deal.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You do realize the steps you quoted are not, actually, what Alain Ducasse describes, right? I'm fairly certain no one actually ever reads the article that quotes him directly. It's like the worst game of telephone ever.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

You do realize the steps you quoted are not, actually, what Alain Ducasse describes, right? I'm fairly certain no one actually ever reads the article that quotes him directly. It's like the worst game of telephone ever.

Is the quoted way or the canon way better?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

FaradayCage posted:

Is the quoted way or the canon way better?

I would think the multiple Michelin starred chef would know what he's talking about more than the multitude of people that can't read what he wrote and therefore do some half-assed, pulled out of thin air recipe.

Edit:

demonachizer posted:

Instead of searing the poo poo out of a steak, I strongly urge you to try the method that the french use.

lol :airquote: the french

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Anyone know of a good guide to dry-aging meat? Interested in trying it out.

Casu Marzu posted:

lol :airquote: the french

Casu Marzu are you implying that there isn't a secret french cooking handbook handed out to all french people when they turn 16 detailing the one true way to cook all sorts of foods?

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 12, 2014

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Falcon2001 posted:

Anyone know of a good guide to dry-aging meat? Interested in trying it out.

Here you go.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Thanks! I guess that answer the question pretty well, unfortuantely with a 'yeah, gonna need more space'. Definitely be trying this when we move to a bigger place and I have someone to stash a minifridge though.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Falcon2001 posted:

Casu Marzu are you implying that there isn't a secret french cooking handbook handed out to all french people when they turn 16 detailing the one true way to cook all sorts of foods?

Here you go.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Now that you've revealed the wu-tang french secret, aren't you worried about being stabbed with a baguette or something? :ohdear:

Sevryn
Mar 7, 2002

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but with a whimper.
For those techniques calling for the steak to be cooked on its fatty edge first, can you just cut off the fat and render it in the pan before throwing in the steak? Standing there holding the steak up for 5 minutes is kind of a pain.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Sevryn posted:

For those techniques calling for the steak to be cooked on its fatty edge first, can you just cut off the fat and render it in the pan before throwing in the steak? Standing there holding the steak up for 5 minutes is kind of a pain.

Eating the side of the steak with the seared fat along it is the best part.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Father's day. Had the grill out and got to cook some ribeyes for my dad and uncle to well-done. Fuckers.

My brother and I ate a bunch of rare lamb chops and steaks just to piss them off.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What I'll do if I get a steak that's got a nice fat strip on it will be to cut it down a little and then chop that up. I then render it down until it's crispy and brown and then use it to cook the steak in.

Never had bad results with this and the crust almost always comes out this wonderful crisp brown.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Sevryn posted:

Hold up steak, eat steak, get swole?

Seriously, do not cut the fat off, it's delicious.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Steak Locker. A kickstarter for a device to dry-age steaks at home:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1343942869/steaklocker-the-first-in-home-dry-age-steak-fridge

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Her eyes are freaking me out.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

I've been wanting something like this. Thanks for the heads up.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
On the other hand, I wonder, has anyone tried just using a minifridge to do the same thing at home for a lot cheaper?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-dry-aging-beef-at-home.html

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Steve Yun posted:

On the other hand, I wonder, has anyone tried just using a minifridge to do the same thing at home for a lot cheaper?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-dry-aging-beef-at-home.html

I have a wine fridge that I've modified to be a cold smoker/charcuterier/thing. I could definitely age a half ribeye in there, and the thing only cost $150. My $300 mini fridge would be even better, but that's where my beer goes and I don't want to tinker with my beer fridge.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man I'm in Italy and Germany for 3 weeks now and the steaks taste super bland except for a few exceptional high end Italian places. The meat may be aged but there's no crust and the meat hasn't been rested well enough. Instead of salt and pepper it's some generic herb butter for dipping. Don't get me wrong, butter is tasty.
It seems like restaurants prefer serving sliced veal or roasts instead of thick juicy steaks.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
at a place I used to work we just took an old fridge and packed it with salt blocks for dry aging and it worked pretty well

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Prime New York Strip

Steak mid-rare seasoned with salt and pepper, with roasted asparagus. Perfect.

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

NY strip on really loving hot cast iron + oven to finish. It was worth smoking the poo poo out of my condo and having it smell like a steakhouse for a week.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Made myself a steak and eggs breakfast today.

I think it turned out really well!

e: holy broken tables batman!

Annath fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 17, 2014

Diet Sodium
Apr 29, 2009

Monohydrate posted:

NY strip on really loving hot cast iron + oven to finish. It was worth smoking the poo poo out of my condo and having it smell like a steakhouse for a week.

This is beautiful. I want to devour it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeJam
Nov 24, 2009
Any thoughts on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLWsEg1LmaE

• Locked thread