Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't really buy that seasoning half an hour in advance really tenderizes the steak all that much. I would be very interested in your a/b testing the two steaks. Half an hour isn't really enough time, and that method should - from what I can tell - actually end up drying out your steak more than anything (because half an hour isn't quite enough time for the liquid wrung out by the salt to get re-absorbed).

I think, instead, your phenomenon is just that the steak is coming out properly seasoned when most people eat their steak underseasoned, and you're attributing the improvement in flavor (ie, "meatiness) to that.

As an alternative, I'd recommend using a jaccard tenderizer and seasoning after cooking.

But, as always, if it works for you, bueno bueno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
Though this might be useful here: Foodlab's myths regarding steak

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

Most is well-known to those in this thread, but the summary is nice.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

No Wave posted:

I don't really buy that seasoning half an hour in advance really tenderizes the steak all that much. I would be very interested in your a/b testing the two steaks. Half an hour isn't really enough time, and that method should - from what I can tell - actually end up drying out your steak more than anything (because half an hour isn't quite enough time for the liquid wrung out by the salt to get re-absorbed).

I think, instead, your phenomenon is just that the steak is coming out properly seasoned when most people eat their steak underseasoned, and you're attributing the improvement in flavor (ie, "meatiness) to that.

As an alternative, I'd recommend using a jaccard tenderizer and seasoning after cooking.

But, as always, if it works for you, bueno bueno.

What I might do one evening, then, is try cooking several small steaks by different methods and then compare them, side-by-side, to see which method had more influence on the flavor/tenderness.

For scientific purposes, of course.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

beefnchedda posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

This article is loving great - it's easy to nitpick Kenji's stuff but he's pretty much the only person out there who actually tests his methods and stuff (besides Myrvold, of course)

That being said I do disagree that seasoning after cooking doesn't make a satisfactory product - I saute my shallots/arugula and clean my kitchen before I eat, so my meat ends up resting for ten minutes before I get to it anyways, meaning the seasoning is in the meat at this point (I season immediately after finishing cooking the meat). I also like the salty, crusty exterior on a steak - it's gratifying to bite through to the tender middle, mixing the two in your mouth to create a properly seasoned product.

But seriously, everyone buy a thermapen.

Spookyelectric posted:

What I might do one evening, then, is try cooking several small steaks by different methods and then compare them, side-by-side, to see which method had more influence on the flavor/tenderness.

For scientific purposes, of course.
It's a good idea, but realistically it's impossible to do this with everything...

To share my own experience, I haven't found the amount of time before seasoning to really matter in terms of tenderness. Jaccarding I recommend for any piece of meat you'd want softer.

The most effective way of making a piece of meat tender is to slice it thinly across the grain (most easily done by cutting at a bias). This changes the nature of the dish somewhat, but that's okay, because tough steak is pretty flavorful anyways so you don't need a big mouthful like you'd need with filet.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 12, 2013

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
He has a new article about sous vide-ing steak:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/video-how-to-cook-your-steak-sous-vide-in-a-cooler.html

This is similar to the recipe found in Modernist Cuisine at home. Definitely trying this on my next camping trip.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

beefnchedda posted:

Came here to post this, there's quite a few people in here wasting time doing unnecessary things.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I would like to post a recipe that I don't think anybody should try. I am making a knife, and to do that you have to heat the knife to ~1500 degrees. I decided that after I pulled the knife out I should try to cook a steak.

Here is the apparatus:

Here is the steak cooking:

Here is the final result:

I prefer my steak blue, and this was definitely blue. It got about 30 seconds per side on the forge and was burned and unpleasant as hell. So, if ever you dudes get the idea to heat treat a knife and then cook a steak on your ~1500 degree fire, don't. Just enjoy knifemaking, don't try to collude steakmaking.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
:aaaaa:
Beautiful. Just beautiful.

:911:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Wow. I love seeing poo poo taken to extremes - thanks for going there for us.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Can someone point me to a good neutral oil for steak cooking that has a smoke point above 1500 degrees? tyia

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Doom Rooster posted:

Can someone point me to a good neutral oil for steak cooking that has a smoke point above 1500 degrees? tyia

Is this a joke?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I would have seared that steak for 10-15 seconds.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

VERTiG0 posted:

Is this a joke?

No, not at all :thejoke:

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Stalizard posted:

I would like to post a recipe that I don't think anybody should try. I am making a knife, and to do that you have to heat the knife to ~1500 degrees. I decided that after I pulled the knife out I should try to cook a steak.

Goddamn, how loving metal are you?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Stalizard posted:

Here is the apparatus:

a man who wouldn't try cooking a steak on this is a shameful man. you've done well.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Grilled some bacon wrapped elk steaks last night. Better than beef in my opinion.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Get your meat

Accidentally go way overboard on salt and pepper

Oh well, might as well let it rest for 45 minutes before trying to fix it

Sear the gently caress out of it and eat

How'd I do?

I'm not even sure if this was a steak cut and I'm so jealous of you guys with your thick cuts that I can't seem to find here. For the record next time I'll use much way less salt. I think I overcooked it too cause I pulled it out at 120º F but when I set it on the plate my thermometer was telling me 140º F and it was freaking me out. At least it was still pink instead and it was still delicious albeit salty.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
looks good! maybe a little over if you were going for medium rare, but what really matters is how it tasted to you. if it was tender and you enjoyed it, mission accomplished.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Get your meat

Accidentally go way overboard on salt and pepper

Oh well, might as well let it rest for 45 minutes before trying to fix it

Sear the gently caress out of it and eat

How'd I do?

I'm not even sure if this was a steak cut and I'm so jealous of you guys with your thick cuts that I can't seem to find here. For the record next time I'll use much way less salt. I think I overcooked it too cause I pulled it out at 120º F but when I set it on the plate my thermometer was telling me 140º F and it was freaking me out. At least it was still pink instead and it was still delicious albeit salty.
Cook hotter, flip more... what kind of salt is that?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Carryover heat is what you measured. The equilibration of the hotter surfaces with the cooler insides. Getting a thicker cut steak will make it easier to do rarer temps.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Carryover heat is what you measured. The equilibration of the hotter surfaces with the cooler insides. Getting a thicker cut steak will make it easier to do rarer temps.

He should just pull everything sooner. Black and blue is the only doneness for me :c00lbert:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Am I silly for thinking about leaving a digital probe in my steak and just flipping it on medium heat in a dry cast iron skillet til it hits 118?

To me this sounds like dinner.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

toplitzin posted:

Am I silly for thinking about leaving a digital probe in my steak and just flipping it on medium heat in a dry cast iron skillet til it hits 118?

To me this sounds like dinner.
Do this on very very high heat to start, turn it down to mid-high after you give each side the initial sear.

Curious about how you're going to handle the physics of this, but the logic is sound! Remember to season your meat and to let it rest!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

No Wave posted:

Do this on very very high heat to start, turn it down to mid-high after you give each side the initial sear.

Curious about how you're going to handle the physics of this, but the logic is sound! Remember to season your meat and to let it rest!

I was a little slow getting it off the stove, so I overshot a wee bit on the carryover, but it was delicious. I did the flip every 30ish seconds, to alternate halves of the pan, there was no initial sear, just one that built up.

Left the probe in:

Carryover: oops.

With a mushrooms and red wine.

Color of yum, sorry for the quality drop, but the lighting sucks out of the kitchen. Closer to the bone it got rarer.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's a ribeye, so the carryover actually served you well. Individual opinions vary but mid-rare is generally the preferred preparation for ribeyes in high-end restaurants. So what I mean to say, is, really, nicely, done!!!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Get your pan hotter.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Did you dry the steak with a kitchen towel before searing? The times I forget that I get a sub-par crust. Looks nice on the inside though.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Has anyone switched to the reverse-sear method? I keep reading that it works much better.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I do it when I dabble in tepid puddles, as searing before sous vide cooking will give a worse result than vice versa. It was a nice sear, A+ would eat again.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

Has anyone switched to the reverse-sear method? I keep reading that it works much better.
Works best when you have a big double-rib roast that you cook in the oven super-low for 3 hours at like 170 - pull out, let sit for half an hour, and when you sear it the outside is very dry. Good poo poo....

No Wave fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 30, 2013

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Picked up a tri-tip roast today. I don't have a sous-vide setup, so I decided to try the low-and-slow oven method. Now I just need to work on knife skills.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

This post changed the way I experienced steak. The first time I tried this, it came out better than any steak I had ever eaten before. Probably not saying much, since I've never gone to a fancy steakhouse. I didn't even have a thermapen at the time, but that was quickly remedied.

I had bought the steaks in bulk at a local BJs, so I cooked them all at once. We had one left over, so I fridged it. Coming home late one night, I only had the energy to throw the whole frickin steak in the microwave. The microwaved steak was still better than any steak I had before.

WD40
Nov 25, 2005

If I still ate meat I'd be curious as to the effect of liquid nitrogen on a steak pre-cooking. As far as I understand it, slow freezing alters the texture, as big ice crystals form between the muscle fibres. Liquid nitrogen would freeze it much more quickly and therefore make smaller crystals, causing a different effect on the fibers. A quick (30 sec?) dunk, followed by immediate frying might be interesting so far as texture goes. My theory is that the disrupted cells on the outer surface would brown more quickly and be crisper. Probably a waste of a perfectly good steak, but you never know.

WD40 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 22, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

WD40 posted:

If I still ate meat I'd be curious as to the effect of liquid nitrogen on a steak pre-cooking. As far as I understand it, slow freezing alters the texture, as big ice crystals form between the muscle fibres. Liquid nitrogen would freeze it much more quickly and therefore make smaller crystals, causing a different effect on the fibers. A quick (30 sec?) dunk, followed by immediate frying might be interesting so far as texture goes. My theory is that the disrupted cells on the outer surface would brown more quickly and be crisper. Probably a waste of a perfectly good steak, but you never know.
It works, but you'd want to vizzle beforehand. Good for meat in funky shapes. Like cubes.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

swampcow posted:

Coming home late one night, I only had the energy to throw the whole frickin steak in the microwave. The microwaved steak was still better than any steak I had before.

Wait, you cooked a whole steak in a microwave? :stare:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Doh004 posted:

Wait, you cooked a whole steak in a microwave? :stare:
It was already cooked.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

If it was rare in the middle it wasn't already cooked completely, and was almost certainly cooked further by the microwave.

For future reference, swampcow, leftover steak is great cold. I like to slice it thinly and use it in a sandwich with horseradish.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I always buy larger than needed steaks so I can fantasize about a cold steak sandwich for breakfast.

Horseradish is really great and brings the beefy notes to the nose, I must use it more often.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

No Wave posted:

It was already cooked.

Ah yah, missed that first part.

But I agree, I don't like the taste of microwaved steak. It gives it an off putting flavor. I'd much rather reheat in a skillet for some steak and eggs or as said before, cold and sliced for a sammich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

bombhand posted:

For future reference, swampcow, leftover steak is great cold. I like to slice it thinly and use it in a sandwich with horseradish.

That sounds good. I'll have to try that next time. My unrefined taste buds didn't mind the microwaved ribeye much though. That probably speaks to the quality of my normal fare.

• Locked thread