Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Doesn't cooking with such a high heat turn the oil out? Wouldn't you burn it if you're using temperatures hot enough to crust a steak in 2-3 minutes?

If it's that hot, I don't think you'd need any sort of heat transfer help.

At best, shouldn't you oil it once the flame's off and use any residual pan heat to help with whatever the oil does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
:aaaaa:
Beautiful. Just beautiful.

:911:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shadowhand00 posted:

I know there's the zip lock bag trick when doing SV. When you throw butter, etc. into the mix, is it absolutely necessary to use a vacuum sealer or can you continue to use the zip lock method?

Just get as much air out as possible. Using a sealer is the easiest way to do that, that's all.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

dalstrs posted:

My wife has a PhD in Biology and she has no idea what she is doing in the kitchen.

Well, ShadowCatboy's actually written and done some really interesting things here in the past, so let's not judge him harshly for just wanting to faff around and play in the kitchen.

Besides, I've always heard (whether true or not) that calcium fucks around with the enzymes that break down proteins, alongside the lactic acid or whatever Bob Loblaw. Maybe just buy real (butter)milk and not the 2% Lucerne poo poo (that I drink).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think that's how it's supposed to look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z99dT3qlBMA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ALecGtJfoc

Did you boil it hard with the milk and honey?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 2, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
But marinating meat in milk has been a thing for a very long time. Why are you all getting high and mighty about this?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ShadowCatboy posted:

I currently use a stovetop setup with a digital thermometer and a ceramic pot full of water, so control is more fiddly. 135* is fine though, given that it's ribeye. I just prefer to err on the side of rare.

Also the milksteak is currently in the fridge drying out to prepare it for the sear today, so I can't really say whether it's become horrible or not. Will report back when I sear it for my post-workout dinner when I bulk up on protein and what is hopefully milksteak deliciousness.

One thing I will say though is that the texture of the steak seemed more tender than usual. However, given that I don't have a control steak to compare it to this is fairly speculative.

Some people have said to soak the steak in milk for a day (12 hours or whatever) and then take it out and marinade the now soaked meat with a real marinade for another night or so before cooking. A marinade of garlic, whiskey, honey and soy sauce or whatever other marinade of your choosing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Sweet Jesus, I forgot about this thread. It's so good.

:911:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I had dinner with my mom and didn't feel like using her grill outside so while we got a soup and potato/apple/cranberry thing going I reverse-seared our steaks and they turned out a rather lovely shade of rare with a pretty okay crust.

I found out later that I had only had the stovetop flame up to medium high instead of fuckoff high (She has a weird high tech stove I never really use), so I could have gotten that crust even more crusty and delicious. All things considered the reverse sear is a pretty cool little method, especially when you're trying to finish up other things and don't want to hover. Normally I like to just flip a steak every fifteen or twenty seconds over a cast iron pan for about 3-4 minutes.

When you drop butter into the pan to spoon over the steak, how do you keep it from burning? Or is that not an issue because you're only spooning for 30 seconds at the very end?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BraveUlysses posted:

I think using oil for the first part of the sear works better. You can add butter at the end to spoon over it but it will burn a lot less if you've already added some sort of oil first.

Isn't the temperature still hot as poo poo, wouldn't the oil still burn the milk solids? Or do you WANT them to ~kinda~ burn (toasty) anyway? I guess that's the thing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

No Wave posted:

Generally you start the sear on a piece of beef at ultra-high heat, then turn it down once you're maillarding.

My issue is that using any oil at super-high heat leads to smoking which everyone tells me is bad. If the steak's thick enough it doesn't matter. I like using clarified butter these days... it just seems like the obvious thing to do (and you can buy it in the grocery store as "ghee")

I actually like to make my own ghee. It's super quick, and the toasty milk bits skimmed out before I bottle the actual ghee part go really nice on bread or rice.

I don't think I've used oil to start out with a steak before, on my cast iron, specifically because of the smoking. If it's hot enough, after ten or twenty seconds, the meat unsticks from the pan anyway. Thanks, though, I'll try to experiment with when I can take the heat from supernova down to medium to do the additional browning.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I make ghee, just warm up some butter in a pan until it foams?

Basically. Making clarified butter is just simmering the butter and removing the foaming stuff (milk bits and evaporating water) as it shows up.

Ghee is basically the same thing, but instead of removing the milk/foamy bits, you're going to let them stay in and toast. Eventually the foaming will stop (that's the water evaporating) and the milk bits will sink to the bottom/turn any shade of golden brown you want them to be, and then you just strain out those bits. That strained liquid is ghee. It's good slightly salted. And you can also put in some bay leaves or something while it's cooking.

http://www.veggiebelly.com/2012/01/how-to-make-ghee.html that's the first recipe that pulled up from google for me.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 8, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TATPants posted:

The last time I tried to make browned butter, lots of the browned bits stuck to the sides of my saucier and I was never sure of when to take it off the heat. Is there a video out there that shows the complete method for making browned butter from start to finish? Also, how brown is "brown"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcQbIuoC3PA

Brown is as brown as you want it. Light beer. Golden tan. Bread crust. Amber.
Things happen quickly at the end, so be prepared to strain it as soon as you need to - you want to get the toastables away from your liquid asap. Don't let it sit, and keep the heat low throughout.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 9, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Doomy posted:

This is a really novice question, but what do you do with the rest of the solids? That's the brown butter, and the ghee is the liquid that separates?

There are two parts to it, like you mentioned. The ghee is the remaining oil, the browned stuff is milk solids. Personally, I just pour the pot holding everything through a strainer, the oil that pours through the mesh is the ghee that I store, and the stuff that gets caught I put in a small little dish. Because there's still a little of the ghee itself (unless you press the poo poo out of the solids while you're straining) in with the solids, it'll firm up and still behave like normal butter. And I mix that with garlic or ginger and a little salt, then put small spoonfuls of that into rice or vegetables as a smokey, buttery flavoring. You could also not mix it into anything and spread it on bread.

Or you could accidentally burn it because you kept the heat too high making the ghee and just throw it away.
:human being:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 23, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

caberham posted:

Love the pictures. I love eating great steaks but suck at cooking them at home. What do you guys think of steak houses like Ruth Chris' or Morton's? Those are my go to places but still, it's nice to eat at home. Cheaper too!

Those places are so loving expensive for what you get. The side dishes are standard fare. They're not bad places, but they're pretty useless if you're even a fledgling stay-at-home steaker.

They're fine, I'm not disparaging them, but there is not a huge disparity between the quality of what they make and what you can make - especially since making steak is as complicated as making pancakes. It's like there's a $30 tax to use those 12000 BTUs or something.

I like to eat at restaurants when I don't know how to prepare the food (and it tastes good).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

I don't think its the butter doing it, I usually hit it with butter and a few garlic cloves right before I'm going to remove it. The steaks are already coming out fine when I cook them. I'm just curious about why this small pan is better?

I'm just curious as to why this small weird pan is getting me better results than my normal cast iron? My steaks don't have a lot of room in the pan is that possible that it's just getting more heat?

Cast iron can have an uneven heat distribution up until it becomes fully heated through, if you're using a stovetop. Fully heated, not just smoking hot in places. You could check.

Stainless steel tends to just let heat flow through. It's hotter initially more quickly.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Doh004 posted:

You can even do it with a stainless steel pan, just not a nonstick.

What, you've never seared a steak on low heat? Pfff. Casual.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Falcon2001 posted:

Out of curiosity, what do people use to sear their steaks, fat-wise? I'm cooking sous vide and I normally put a little oil in the pan first but I'm running into smoke points pretty hard.

Thin bit of oil rubbed onto the meat then into the pan. I use a little ghee but will often use bacon fat if I have any around (I have a bottle of safflower oil that I use once in a blue moon). But a lot of the time there's enough marbling in the meat to make me not use oil at all - I just make sure the steak is patted dry before going on.

I think the point of oil is to get better heat transfer to the bits of meat that wouldn't otherwise clearly touch the pan or something. There's really no reason to oil the entire pan for meat that will only be touching a third of the pan.

If you use oil it gets fried brown instead of charred brown, so it actually doesn't need to be as hot - 400f flipping every 10-15 seconds will get an amazing crust and still cook it evenly. When I do no oil I turn the heat way up to get a better initial crust.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 28, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VERTiG0 posted:

Is it normal to have an erection the whole time you eat a steak you've just cooked?

It seems like you need to move from GWS over to the Anime forum or GBS.

Stay away from Pet Island, you don't want to exacerbate your situation.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
No problem man. Pet Island can get pretty mean sometimes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I've always thawed mine because I don't use any oil in my skillet, and I tend to not even use the oven when lazy*, but this makes sense. And they say they like the taste, so it seems worth trying at least once. Watching the pan flare up because of the freezer burn was pretty crazy.

If you want a steak don't freeze it, if you need to freeze it then flash-fry then throw it in the oven, I guess.

*just zoning out flipping a steak every ten seconds has a very hypnotic effect.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

woah woah woah

Hey hey, if county fairs around the bible belt can deep fry kool aid or chocolate coated celery stalks stuffed with cheetos then I think we can deep fry a freakin' frozen steak for dinner, you know?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

fknlo posted:

There's definitely salt on there. You can see it on the paper and if you check out the huge size picture there's still some that hasn't dissolved on the steak. And the asparagus wasn't limp before I cooked it. I do however like it nice and tender and :flaccid:.

Those guys above are being pretty loving cruel. If someone plopped that down in front of me I'd give them a hug and eat the poo poo out of it.

As for the salt, I really like to almost oversalt before cooking, letting it sit for an hour or two to :airquote:get to room temperature:airquote: (that's such a lovely reason as it doesn't particularly matter - but it gives the salt time to tenderize and move the moisture around the meat). the remaining salt can always be quickly rinsed/wiped off before laying it on the heat, too.

A couple of pinches or turns of the knob of salt and pepper before cooking does nothing but give you a placebo effect.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 17, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

I grew up eating one kind of steak in my family, top round London Broil (in a super secret marinade that i'm pretty sure is italian dressing, soy sauce, and Lea&Perrins). My mom and dad do that fantastically. However, they are now convinced that heavy marinade and very wet grilling is how you cook EVERY steak. My dad has been doing some strange things to NY Strip. He thoroughly wrecked a nice one the other day, over done in every way. How do I delicately let them down from their cooking ways? I must save the delicious souls of these cows.

Either ask them nicely to cook the one you're going to eat specifically per your instructions and have them taste it, or cook one yourself and have them try it. I mean, it's different for everyone when you confront people's ingrained habits but so long as nobody screams and nobody slaps anyone else, you should be okay.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

d3rt posted:

I've never heard of mechanically tenderized. Is it bad?

The big thing is that the needles aren't cleaned between meat parts, nor is the meat cleaned before getting stuck; there's cross contamination up everywhere, so you HAVE to cook it overly much to be safe, rather than just cooking the surface.

Just imagine that on a larger scale.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 28, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I still ate the steak because it was a drat nice ribeye and I couldn't in good conscience send it back when it was exactly what I ordered, but I can't imagine ever purposefully ordering a steak that charred.

Was it like the 'bark' in those BBQ rib roast things texans do? Or was it flaky charred burned like an outer marshmallow layer? I don't like burned anything. If it's black and can flake off don't let it get to that point. :mad:

I mean, I can eat raw meat like nobody's business, I like it, but I'm not a fan of burned.

I don't think I've ever had that bark stuff, either, but it doesn't sound all that appealing to me, either.

taken off Chowhound: It's called "Pittsburgh Rare" )(aka 'Black and Blue') because in Pittsburgh steel mill days the workers would bring meat to work for lunch and cook it on the hot metal. It would only take a few seconds to cook as the metal was so hot and it would be charred on the outside and basically raw on the inside.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 22, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

What's a reliable way to cook steak indoors without filling my entire apartment with smoke? Half the time I try to sear it stove-top, no matter how good a job I do cooking the steak I always make a ton of smoke in the process. I think I cooked it in the oven once but I can't remember how I did so.

Reverse sear.

Thick steaks.
Salt/season your steaks an hour or so earlier.
Set your oven to 275 F.
Cast Iron Pan put your steaks in until they're at 100 F or whatever
Let your steaks rest on a plate while you crank up your skillet on the stovetop, add some oil then the steaks.
Flip often and get a crust.

Eat in your currently relatively smokeless environment since you didn't go crazy and cook the entire steak on the stovetop.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

QuarkMartial posted:

What temp should I pull the steaks to have them coast up to medium rare?

Also, I've got leftover bacon fat I'd like to use in place of oil. Good idea or bad idea? What's the smoke point?

We are frozen in here, so I'm thinking of trying the reverse sear method to cut down on smoke since I can't air the house out.

Medium rare is what, 140F on the inside? I'd suggest pulling it at 8 degrees less than the temp you want. So, 132F. That generally works for most small-ish meat cuts. A big ol' potroast'll probably do it at 10 or 12.

Bacon fat - great idea. Smoke point is up past 350, at least. It's basically tasty lard. It'll be a little saltier than normal oil, with a smokier flavor, so adjust seasons a bit.

Reverse sear's fantastic.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ColHannibal posted:

I only cook steaks on cool windy nights so I can open every window in my house. If it does not look like a smoke bomb in the pan when you drop the butter in, you are doing it wrong.

I don't think burning the oil/butter makes for a good steak. If it's super duper hot in the pan, I'll just go in dry and build with butter nearer the end.

I think people have some pretty strange and wrong ideas when it comes to cooking steaks.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

This is now a much more accurate statement.

Ho ho, zing!

You can't seriously tell me that burning the gently caress out of butter is ever a good thing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Paper With Lines posted:

I've never burned the butter when I use it to make steak. You add it towards the end, it isn't the primary oil.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Not what I'm saying at all. I'm literally saying that people have terrible opinions in how to cook.

I'm an overly-sensitive man-child, I suppose. Sorry.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well holy poo poo. I'd never thought of that. Can anyone vouch for this one? I did the olive oil prep and smoked up the whole house pretty much immediately. I thought it was me not drying my steaks enough, maybe it was both. How do you dry your steaks? The OP just says you should. I rubbed in some salt about 10 minutes before I cooked it, since I didn't realize I was supposed to dry it out until then.

The steak came out pretty well, considering it was my first time making a steak. I need to remember to put a lot of salt and pepper on, I would have drastically underseasoned it if my fiancee hadn't told me to put more salt on.

I'd highly recommend against using (Don't ever use) Olive Oil to fry stuff at any temperature hotter than 300F. It's smoke point is just above that and it'll get a burnt rancid taste. Better to treat olive oil like butter, and use it for flavor nearer the end (or low temp stuff). I'd use peanut or safflower oil for frying poo poo. Or bacon grease or lard, which are AMAZING for that stuff.

The thing you'll have to watch out for with bacon fat is that it's already got some salt and stuff in it, so just know that it can make not as an amazing season on cast iron (but still pretty fine, don't stress). Taste-wise, you probably won't notice unless it's some super delicate dish. Bacon fat forever :madmax::respek::911::respek::ese:

Salting steaks should be done either 30+ minutes before cooking, or RIGHT throwing it into the pan. The issue is that salt will pull moisture out and if you salt before it has time to reabsorb you'll be steaming the poo poo out of the steak in the beginning (or dessicate parts of it - I'm making this part up but it sounds logical).

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 24, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

That sounds extremely spergy and dumb. It's a hunk of fuckin iron. Just cook with the thing.

Just like with everything, it's good to know what goes on. Nowhere has it been said that it's not an acceptable thing. You've seen photos here where people have spent days putting a season on. it's just something to know, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If your steak isn't more than 1% of your body weight, then you shouldn't be eating any steak. :colbert:

• Locked thread