Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Tendales posted:

I picked up a bit of buffalo on a whim today. Not a great cut a meat, just two little eye of round cuts, maybe a 1/4lb each. What the hell, it was cheap. It's sitting on the counter now, letting the salt work its magic.

My first thought is to just do a regular pan-sear, butter-baste job on it, which I've always found works fine for beef round so long as you don't go past medium-rare or so. Anyone got any better ideas? I'm also a little tempted to flatten the poo poo out of it and make chicken fried steak. Hm.

I'm sure I'm too late to make a real recommendation here, but buffalo (and elk and venison and bison and pretty much every other red-but-not-cow meat I can think of) is super lean, so you probably don't want to chicken-fry it; it'll get tough. I like to do that kind of stuff nice and rare, and throw some compound butter on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Selklubber posted:

There was more sear on the other side, the picture was a bit rushed since I was hungry. But next time I'll use less salt.

Less salt isn't gonna get you more sear; if you're gonna do that whole salt-a-half-hour-in-advance thing, you kind of need to pat the steak dry (pat, don't rub) right before you put it in the pan. Wet steak means steamed meat. Dry steak means seared meat. Still, that looks pretty solid!

vvv ah, okay, that's different!

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 24, 2013

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

twoday posted:

Guys, I need some help:

A friend of mine has some steaks, but he wants to eat burgers. He's telling me he is going to try to grate the steaks with a box grater. He won't even consider using a food processor. I keep telling him that it isn't going to work and that I think it's insane but he won't listen and I don't know how to stop him. What should I do?

Sit back and laugh when it fails miserably? Take his steaks away from him and tell him he's lost his steak privileges thanks to his irresponsible use of steak? Google "how to make ground beef from steak" and show him that not even the fetid depths of Yahoo Answers suggests a loving box grater because jesus loving christ a box grater are you kidding me?

Alternatively, queue up a bunch of cooking shows and articles that illustrate the correct method of creating ground meat, i.e. with a meat grinder.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 6, 2013

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I live in an apartment with no access to a grill but I crave the steak. I was thinking about doing a yogurt garlic marinade and then searing it or baking it.

I may have a skillet, but I may just have a cheapo nonstick pan from IKEA so my options are limited here.

Do Not Bake A Steak Please.

If you have an oven with a decent broiler and an oven-safe pan that isn't teflon (and if you do not have that second thing, get one) you could always broil, though? London Broil can scratch that meat-itch, you can keep it nice and medium-rare, and if you gently caress it up or if your oven turns out to suck, you didn't waste a super-expensive cut of beef.

Edit: Actually, I honestly think a yogurt-garlic marinade also is probably a bad idea. I'm pretty sure yogurt is to tenderize tougher meats and then get cooked quickly on a grill or over charcoal on a stick or in a tandoor. You don't want it for a steak unless you intend to cut that steak into chunks and then kabob them and at that point it's not really a steak anymore, is it? Kabob actually might be easier than steak for you.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 20, 2014

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

FeastForCows posted:

Any tips on how to keep the juices IN the steak while letting it rest? Every time I take the foil off after resting the plate is full of juice and the steak is dry in places (mostly on the outside, the center usually gives a taste of what could have been). I am using a coated pan to fry steaks and usually oil them before I put them in.

Are you letting your pan heat up to screaming, smoking hot for a long time in advance? I'm talking cast iron let it go on the stove on high for 10 minutes heating up.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I should have added--you need a pretty heavy pan. Cast iron is thick and dense, which is why it takes so long to heat, but when you drop your steak in it also won't lose all of its heat immediately. If you're using a thinner, lighter pan, it won't work as well, because the temperature drops the second the steak hits the pan.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Sevryn posted:

For those techniques calling for the steak to be cooked on its fatty edge first, can you just cut off the fat and render it in the pan before throwing in the steak? Standing there holding the steak up for 5 minutes is kind of a pain.

Hold up steak, eat steak, get swole?

Seriously, do not cut the fat off, it's delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I grew up in Pittsburgh and can confirm that lots of weird culinary poo poo in Pittsburgh is due to steel mills, including "Pittsburgh Rare" as a thing. See also: Primanti Bros sandwiches putting fries & cole slaw on the sandwich because mill workers only had 15 minutes for lunch, so they didn't have time to eat a sandwich and a side, so you just stuff the side into the sandwich. (All the other weird culinary poo poo in Pittsburgh is due to the Polish.)

I really like my steaks very rare, but I've never had Pittsburgh rare come out actually charred to a crisp. Typically they just come out blue rare.

• Locked thread