Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Hollis posted:

Also, any advice on steak sauce currently I use. Worchester, Ketchup, Garlic powder, onion powder and a bit of hot sauce and maybe a teaspoon of beef broth

Once the steak is done cooking I like to drop in a half pound of mushrooms and deglaze with some white wine. Cook the mushrooms till they're the consistency you like, and top your steak with them. It's both delicious and gives you something to do while your meat is resting.

If you don't like mushrooms you could probably find something else, and go nuts by switching out different liquids for the wine.

Also don't put anything that comes from a bottle directly onto your cooked steak. Pan sauces, however, are always acceptable in any situation.

A GIANT PARSNIP fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

smashthedean posted:

I'm cheap and don't want to buy expensive high quality steaks, but all of these recipes tell me I should get them. Does anyone have any "cooking cheap beef" recommendations? Top Sirloin is usually what I seem to find on sale for $4.99/lb or whatever, but I might be willing to step it up to the slightly nextest level if that is completely unworthy of the title of steak. I'm willing to accept that I shouldn't be cooking Chuck like steak (even though it is so so cheap :(), but I will be sad to lose my Top Sirloin if I have to.

Cooking roast beef in the oven can be a really cheap way to get some delicious beef with cheap equipment. I personally like to use the sirloin tip roast (Not the same as a tri tip - the sirloin tip comes from where the round and the loin meet) or even a generic rump roast. Make sure it's at least 2.5 pounds (I normally go for 3) and cover it in this mix of salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme, and olive oil. Preheat your oven to 350 and toss that big ol' hunk of meat in there on a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet with a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of it. Roast until you're at 125 degrees F, take it out, and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes (it'll move up to 130 degrees F). If you're a gravy person feel free to add some cornstarch and beef broth/stock to the drippings and toss them on mashed potatoes. It'll be red gravy from all the paprika, but god drat if it isn't delicious.

Make sure to cut the beef against the grain due to the varying levels of cheap beef you could be using. When you take your initial slices off the night you cook it, you should be trying to slice them paper thin.

Around here (Wisconsin) you can get a sirloin tip roast or a rump roast for $3.50-$6.00 a pound depending on sales and the vendor. For $10-$18 you can get enough steak for 3 meals for 2 people at the price of a single overcooked Applebees/Outback/other lovely chain restaurant steak.

I like to cook these up on Friday night and eat them as a roast that night. Then Saturday afternoon we eat steak sandwiches (reheated steak with raw onion and dijon mustard) and on Sunday we have steak and eggs. To reheat the steak slice it (against the grain) half the thickness of a piece of bread and give it 10-15 seconds per side in a pan on medium with some olive oil in it. Put the oil in when you turn the burner on and wait until the oil splatters when you toss in some water off your fingers. The additional cooking and the extra long rest period (sitting in the fridge that night/multiple nights) will make it more tender than the original roast was. Don't let the steak sit in the pan for more than 30 seconds total or else it won't still be red in the center. This, by the way, is also the correct way to reheat any properly cooked steak.

I'd never say it's as good as a properly cooked steak, but it certainly is a cheap and idiot proof way to make yourself some medium rare beef.

A GIANT PARSNIP fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 9, 2013

• Locked thread