Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Drifter posted:

Doesn't cooking with such a high heat turn the oil out? Wouldn't you burn it if you're using temperatures hot enough to crust a steak in 2-3 minutes?

If it's that hot, I don't think you'd need any sort of heat transfer help.

At best, shouldn't you oil it once the flame's off and use any residual pan heat to help with whatever the oil does?

I crust my steaks in a cast iron, usually it takes 30-60 seconds for it to crust nicely without burning. Pat the steak dry with a paper towel, season and put it in a dry cast iron pan. It's done searing when the steak easily lets go of the pan. After that I finish in a colder pan depending on type of steak.

Using oil shouldn't burn the oil on a regular stove top however, my induction top switches off from overheating long before it singes a neutral high temp oil like rape seed. I should actually have had that overheating safety switched off, but cba as it's perfectlyok for my daily use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I would have seared that steak for 10-15 seconds.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Did you dry the steak with a kitchen towel before searing? The times I forget that I get a sub-par crust. Looks nice on the inside though.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I do it when I dabble in tepid puddles, as searing before sous vide cooking will give a worse result than vice versa. It was a nice sear, A+ would eat again.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I always buy larger than needed steaks so I can fantasize about a cold steak sandwich for breakfast.

Horseradish is really great and brings the beefy notes to the nose, I must use it more often.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Or if it's a piece of pork with a fat rind. The fat shrinks alot more than the meat and curls it up.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Hollis posted:

Oh wow, what kind of thermotator is that thy are using? Also, what type of blowtorch. Don't see any information on the page. I will definitely do this.

Is it safe to put more than one steak in there? Like in the cooler?

Also, has anyone else done this ?

What about Lamb etc.. I'm assuming it's okay to use for other meats like fish etc..

How would this work with a "inferior" cut of meat like say Chuck STeak?

Cause Chuck steak is cheap and I am wondering if it has an effect on the meat if I cook it with this method.

I've done the beer cooler method lots of times. I think I lost 1c of temp in 45 minutes, so it was really easy to keep the temperature stable. Just add hot water, stir, check the temp, add some more, stir etc.
If you put more steaks in, you're getting more heat loss in the water, but as long as you keep an eye on it, it's no hassle.
It's completely safe but I wouldn't do more than 4 hour puddles with it.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

No Wave posted:

Using a torch to dehydrate the sides pre-sear is a VERY cool idea. Super super neato.

Yeah, that sear is...searious.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

Dude, is good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_rare

All the good flavor of the milliard reaction with all the flavor and texture of raw steak.

The meat needs a bit of warmth to get the juices flowing atleast. I like rare tenderloins and stuff, but fattier and rougher cuts of meats needs more heats.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

The milk solids will burn when searing. Not cool.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Yum, burnt calcium!

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

No salt?

Sever.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

In norway, regular prime sirloin is $26/lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Remember a few years ago when the steak thread was grey meat surfaces and cameras that didn't capture red?

• Locked thread