Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ShadowCatboy posted:

Bacon fat is p much the only thing I'll sear my steaks in. It's fantastic poo poo.

Well holy poo poo. I'd never thought of that. Can anyone vouch for this one? I did the olive oil prep and smoked up the whole house pretty much immediately. I thought it was me not drying my steaks enough, maybe it was both. How do you dry your steaks? The OP just says you should. I rubbed in some salt about 10 minutes before I cooked it, since I didn't realize I was supposed to dry it out until then.

The steak came out pretty well, considering it was my first time making a steak. I need to remember to put a lot of salt and pepper on, I would have drastically underseasoned it if my fiancee hadn't told me to put more salt on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So if I want to salt it in a way that it doesn't pull all the moisture out, how do I dry the steak?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

You should always pat your steak dry before cooking in order to get the driest surface. You can go a step further and toss your steaks on a rack and let them hang out in the fridge overnight.

Pat them dry with a paper towel then? Or does it need to be cloth for some reason?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, poo poo. I just read back farther in the thread. The steaks I just cooked for dinner were Costco steaks. They came out more medium than I intended so I'm probably safe. If I stop posting, know I died doing what I loved: eating a pound of meat in one sitting.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Drifter posted:

If your steak isn't more than 1% of your body weight, then you shouldn't be eating any steak. :colbert:

I'm on a diet.

If I was spilling my guts in a toilet right now, it would be related to this cold, not the steak.

I think we're going to make more tonight. I hadn't thought of asking for a smaller portion from the meat guys for some reason. We ended up getting slightly less than four pounds, and my fiancee barely eats anything. So we're either freezing this or eating it for the next couple of days.

But hey, this was $8.99/lb, and most grocery stores around here are $10.99-11.99 for new york strip. And the whole thing turned out much better than expected for not having made a proper steak ever. This time my goal is not smoking up the entire house.

edit: Made another for dinner. This time on a propane grill. It got a little burnt. I did notice a lot of flames coming from fat dripping down onto the hot propane-blocker thing. Is that the likely culprit, or did I just overcook it? I could believe either. If it is the flames, how do I prevent that (aside from just doing it in a pan)?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I didn't oil it at all, I knew that would cause problems. It was a New York strip, maybe au should have moved it around once the flames really started coming up.

I'm not sure if it was a vaporizer bar, it's like a house roof over where the propane flames come out.

Edit: looking at vaporizer bars on Google, it looks like it might be one. I guess next time I might just turn down the heat. I never used the grill before. I was making the steak at my in-laws, my mother-in-law said to keep it on high. Probably shouldn't have listened to her.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 26, 2015

• Locked thread