Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm staying at a friend's place with a gas grill and I just bought a thermapen. If I wanted to have a delicious steak for lunch, what do I need to do? What should I buy and how do I cook it?

e: vvvvv it needs to be done completely on a gas grill at the apartment complex because the friend is moving and hasn't moved over any pans yet.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Aramoro posted:

The method I talked about is super simple, especially if you have a thermapen.

Simply let your steak come up to room temperature, doing this because I'm searing it and it makes it easier to get it a consistent temp all the way through. Season your steak and get your pan nice and hot. Pop your steak in the pan and flip it over every 15 seconds or so, this is to sear the outside and send a pulse of heat into the middle, the constant flipping makes this heating consistent and even. After about 2 mins of doing this (this varies based on the thickness of your steak and thickness) take it out and test the temp, I like to get mine at 50C coming out of the pan. Leave it to rest on a wire baking rack, if you put it on a flat plate then the side in contact with the plate will contain a lot of the heat and continue to cook the steak perhaps past the point of doneness you want.

What to buy depends on where you are really, you get different cuts in different places. Personally I like a Ribeye with a nice amount of fat marbled though it.

I did this method today and after 2 minutes my steak was barely around 35 C/95 F. I'm guessing my pan wasn't hot enough? My steak was sitting in the room for about 30 minutes so it wasn't/shouldn't have been too cold.

Also, I salted the steak when I took it out of the fridge but didn't pepper it until after. Should I pepper it before I cook it next time?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Get your meat

Accidentally go way overboard on salt and pepper

Oh well, might as well let it rest for 45 minutes before trying to fix it

Sear the gently caress out of it and eat

How'd I do?

I'm not even sure if this was a steak cut and I'm so jealous of you guys with your thick cuts that I can't seem to find here. For the record next time I'll use much way less salt. I think I overcooked it too cause I pulled it out at 120º F but when I set it on the plate my thermometer was telling me 140º F and it was freaking me out. At least it was still pink instead and it was still delicious albeit salty.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

This is going to sound dumb but how do I dry my steak in the fridge? I'm not talking about aging but just letting some moisture evaporate for a few hours. Do I wrap it up in a paper towel? Set it on a cooling rack? Or can I just put it on a plate and pop it in the fridge?

e: Also everybody says to use a cast iron skillet but this house doesn't have one and I'm moving soonish so I'm not going to buy one yet but we do have an enameled dutch oven. Can I just sear/cook my steak with the flipping like crazy method using that? It's definitely the heaviest thing in the kitchen. (On a side note, it's a Le Creuset that belonged to a housemate's grandmother, and holy poo poo the price when I looked it up.)

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 29, 2013

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Assuming you can puddle and sear a steak, which really seems completely idiot proof, is there any point in eating an expensive steak at a fancy steak restaurant? The topic of steaks came up at lunch today and my coworkers started talking about [insert expensive steak restaurant] and how their steaks were expensive but worth it. None of my coworkers cook though. I didn't say much but I just kept thinking I could easily go buy a prime grade cut of meat, dry it out in my fridge, and sv it for a fraction of the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How do I make ghee, just warm up some butter in a pan until it foams?

• Locked thread