Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I grew up eating one kind of steak in my family, top round London Broil (in a super secret marinade that i'm pretty sure is italian dressing, soy sauce, and Lea&Perrins). My mom and dad do that fantastically. However, they are now convinced that heavy marinade and very wet grilling is how you cook EVERY steak. My dad has been doing some strange things to NY Strip. He thoroughly wrecked a nice one the other day, over done in every way. How do I delicately let them down from their cooking ways? I must save the delicious souls of these cows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Casu Marzu posted:

Wait, what?

The salt and other impurities from rendering your own bacon fat can leave the finish a little spotty if you're re-seasoning or working on a soft season.

On the other hand, I have all this bacon fat I rendered and it's freeeeeeee

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Casu Marzu posted:

That sounds extremely spergy and dumb. It's a hunk of fuckin iron. Just cook with the thing.

Didn't someone post some insane 6-part reseasoning method that took DAYS to do and if you messed up the temperature at any point it was recommended that you strip it all and start from scratch?

Just fair warning is all. I've found seasoning with bacon drippings to be a little spotty, and particularly soft right out the oven. I've switched to spray canola for reseasoning, and conditioning. Loads more convenient, very even coverage, hard to mess up, and if you re season on an open grill like I do, you get BALLS OF FLAME (which is probably also loving up the seasoning somehow).

Almost all of my COOKING is done in bacon drippings though. Cant beat the flavor and price for low to medium heat.

Also, I use paper towels for patting meat to dry. I hate to not use reusable stuff, but c'mon. It's meat. Let's not go into the danger zone.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 24, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I didn't oil it at all, I knew that would cause problems. It was a New York strip, maybe au should have moved it around once the flames really started coming up.

I'm not sure if it was a vaporizer bar, it's like a house roof over where the propane flames come out.

Edit: looking at vaporizer bars on Google, it looks like it might be one. I guess next time I might just turn down the heat. I never used the grill before. I was making the steak at my in-laws, my mother-in-law said to keep it on high. Probably shouldn't have listened to her.

Yeah she has no god drat idea how to grill. Here's a pretty idiot-proof super basic wikihow, except the part about marinating. Do not marinate a New York Strip or other prime cut, it does not need it. Instead, lightly salt the meat a few minutes before grilling, then pat it dry with a fresh paper towel, you want the surface of the meat as dry as possible for superior cooking. Maybe pick up an instant read probe thermometer (it does not have to be an expensive one). Also remember, the internal temperature of cooked meat rises as it rests, so take it off 5 degrees before the optimal doneness. After a rest, you will have perfect steak.

http://www.wikihow.com/Grill

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 26, 2015

• Locked thread