Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I picked up a bit of buffalo on a whim today. Not a great cut a meat, just two little eye of round cuts, maybe a 1/4lb each. What the hell, it was cheap. It's sitting on the counter now, letting the salt work its magic.

My first thought is to just do a regular pan-sear, butter-baste job on it, which I've always found works fine for beef round so long as you don't go past medium-rare or so. Anyone got any better ideas? I'm also a little tempted to flatten the poo poo out of it and make chicken fried steak. Hm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It's a minor pet-peeve of mine that top-blade steaks get called flatiron these days. It's the same meat, but the flatiron is a different cut. Hmph.

My grumpiness aside, I agree that it's a great value for the money. I find that I don't even get a poo poo about the connective tissue in a top-blade steak. Cook it hot and cook it fast, and the connective tissue just gets a little chewy, totally edible with the rest of the delicious steak.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have another steak of the same type that I am aging in my fridge (unsalted), not sure how long I should give it.

Aging in the fridge isn't going to accomplish anything worth speaking of. It's just not the right environment. Fortunately, that means you don't have to wait to eat a delicious steak!

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Lucky bastard. Around here, flatiron is fashionable enough that it's no longer a cheap cut of meat. I mean, it's still not an expensive cut, but I miss when I could pick up a pack of top blade steaks for less than the cost of hamburger. Now they label top-blade steaks as flatiron without even cutting them properly, and charge full price. :argh:

• Locked thread