Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

For a quick method I just let the steak come up to room temp and sear it, flipping it every 15 seconds. I find about 2 mins does the trick nicely at 50C internal temp. I've never liked poking steaks, I just use a thermometer. You get a nice crust and it doesn't take to long to do.

That said I've not puddled a steak yet, I should probably try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm staying at a friend's place with a gas grill and I just bought a thermapen. If I wanted to have a delicious steak for lunch, what do I need to do? What should I buy and how do I cook it?

The method I talked about is super simple, especially if you have a thermapen.

Simply let your steak come up to room temperature, doing this because I'm searing it and it makes it easier to get it a consistent temp all the way through. Season your steak and get your pan nice and hot. Pop your steak in the pan and flip it over every 15 seconds or so, this is to sear the outside and send a pulse of heat into the middle, the constant flipping makes this heating consistent and even. After about 2 mins of doing this (this varies based on the thickness of your steak and thickness) take it out and test the temp, I like to get mine at 50C coming out of the pan. Leave it to rest on a wire baking rack, if you put it on a flat plate then the side in contact with the plate will contain a lot of the heat and continue to cook the steak perhaps past the point of doneness you want.

What to buy depends on where you are really, you get different cuts in different places. Personally I like a Ribeye with a nice amount of fat marbled though it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

No Wave posted:

The whole done in two minutes thing is hyperbole. Even a thin-ish steak takes twice that long. Don't sweat it - if your pan's hot, you're doing it right, and it's done when the temp is right.

Steaks here in the UK seem to be thinner than the ones you get in the US. I've done a steak using that method in 2 mins, sometimes 3-3:30. But yes, just keep doing it till it's done, don't worry about the time just worry about the temperature.

I always pepper after cooking otherwise the pepper burns in the pan. Some people do it before though.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mindphlux posted:

from experience, they really are. my version of steak cooking in the UK was basically get a pan as hot as humanly possible and sear 40 seconds per side. I was a poor grad student though, no budget for seeking out £15 "nice" steaks.

edit : oh but lamb shanks - with the lamb shanks in the UK, do you even really need medium rare meats? I got (shamefully) addicted to store bought £4 lamb shanks like ready to go in a bag, minted gravy, just heat and eat. mmmm.

Yeah the really thick steaks you have in the US are just not to British tastes really. You're looking at 3/4" to an 1" mostly. You can get thicker ones from a butcher of course. That's why I prefer cooking instructions which go to temperature not time, make it easier for me to do things with British cuts of meat.

I was going to say you can't eat Lamb shanks for every meal but you totally can. Lamb shank pie is one of my favourite meals.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

No Wave posted:

If you can cook a 3/4" to 1" steak in two minutes you are cooking on the sun.

To be fair I don't go for medium rare I go for rare. The pan is hot though.

• Locked thread