Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Rather than slow-cooking it whole, you can just as well cut the roast into steaks first and do those to a little below your target temp in your low-temp oven before searing for crust. That'll give you a nice uniform interior doneness if your oven goes low enough (and yours sounds like it does); I do that myself pretty often and I'm sure I've seen others in this forum mention it. Not as good a real sous-vide setup, I imagine, but maybe better than a ghetto one.

As far drying method between the oven and pan, no idea. I've always just patted mine some with paper towels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Interesting. They're not talking about freezing the steaks solid, just for 30 minutes to chill the outsides to compensate for the searing of them later. Have to try that next time.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Yeah, they do. I still sort of wonder what the point is of searing first with any of these methods that aim at a consistent internal doneness. They don't address that.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Hollis posted:

Is there anyway to sous vide a steak without having to invest in all that equipment, basically is there a cheat for it?> I don't got the money to invest in that :(

Yes.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
You could use a screwdriver. Just be careful not to mar that $150 enamel.

The high walls are going to make things at the bottom of the pot a little moister than if you were using a frying pan. Probably not enough to notice unless you are cooking on an especially low-powered hot plate, though. Use the dutch oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
This is actually from last August, but maybe it's new to some of you like it was to me: Chef Grills Steak, Volcano-Style, With Molten Lava

Obviously done more for fun and the coolness factor than anything else.

• Locked thread