Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Musings of the Id
Jun 8, 2013
I am surprised that I haven't seen much about using the broil setting of an oven. It can turn out a very nicely cooked steak quickly. Especially when it starts to downpour and you already have the charcoal going in your loving grill.

Pre-heat oven to high broil

I like the warm/salt/follow with a very light coating of olive oil to start. In a (preferably) cast iron skillet, sear on both sides for 60 sec.

Move steaks to broiler pan, and immediately put in the high rack of the oven under the broiler. Time depends on what temp/how thick the steak (for me, for a 1.5" sirloin, I find it tends to hit medium rare at about 3.5 min per side. Use your fingers to test. Don't burn them off...your girlfriend will weep).

Take out. Allow to rest 5-10 min. Savour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musings of the Id
Jun 8, 2013

Drifter posted:

Doesn't cooking with such a high heat turn the oil out? Wouldn't you burn it if you're using temperatures hot enough to crust a steak in 2-3 minutes?

If it's that hot, I don't think you'd need any sort of heat transfer help.

At best, shouldn't you oil it once the flame's off and use any residual pan heat to help with whatever the oil does?

I've tried both ways. You raise an interesting question. Based on my experience, the oil does not burn (even at 500), and helps hold in some of the juices, and gives it a nicer brown.

I honestly admit, though, I have not thought about the cooking science behind that one. All I can give are my experiential results. That being said, I like the oiled results better, as does my wife.

• Locked thread