Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

smashthedean posted:

I'm cheap and don't want to buy expensive high quality steaks, but all of these recipes tell me I should get them. Does anyone have any "cooking cheap beef" recommendations? Top Sirloin is usually what I seem to find on sale for $4.99/lb or whatever, but I might be willing to step it up to the slightly nextest level if that is completely unworthy of the title of steak. I'm willing to accept that I shouldn't be cooking Chuck like steak (even though it is so so cheap :(), but I will be sad to lose my Top Sirloin if I have to.

Here's my $.02

I buy cheap cuts to make steaks because I am a poor. I simply salt the meat, and set it in the fridge for an hour or two. Usually I'll add some crushed garlic and whatever herbs I have at the time (except mint... although I bet someone could get that to work too), usually rosemary because there's a huge bush a block away. I wash the steak off after that, and let it dry... the main thing I want is the beef flavor, the garlic and herbs are just for complexity.

The salt turns my poor man's slab of cow into something decently tasty, and I can spend my money on more veggies after I've had my steak craving satiated. The texture is improved quite drastically, it's not Prime beef, but it's better than expected for the price. I may try basting with the aromatics in the oil, this is new to me, and it sounds like a wonderful idea as well; basting adds more flavor potential to a turkey, and on a crummy cut of meat, flavor may help overcome the texture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread