Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Yeah, or, I can dry a ribeye in my fridge for a few hours, pull it out, S&P it, sear it, and throw it in the oven.

It was the loving perfected steak recipe, loving serious.

You weren't there man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Aramoro posted:

Yeah the really thick steaks you have in the US are just not to British tastes really. You're looking at 3/4" to an 1" mostly. You can get thicker ones from a butcher of course. That's why I prefer cooking instructions which go to temperature not time, make it easier for me to do things with British cuts of meat.

I was going to say you can't eat Lamb shanks for every meal but you totally can. Lamb shank pie is one of my favourite meals.
It's just as bad in Australia, or should I say even worse, as it's about the same and this is cattle country so it should be better.
I usually go with vegetarian or chicken meals instead of bothering about steak.
All cuts are thin here too.
You could do what gravity suggested and buy a "roast", but there's only 'topside' roasts I've seen, never seen a scotch fillet (rib eye) roast, and any scotch fillet has been about $25+/kg.
I would try a butcher but they are few and far between, and now as I live in a well to do area (my income is 0 right now), I don't want to go out of my way driving to some shops checking out butchers. It's probably just me, as I'm not the type to walk into a shop and turn around and walk out after seeing prices, especially a tiny shop that might have no one else in it. being an area where I expect rents to be extremely high, I expect their prices to be high anyway. It would be great if some nearby put up some prices on the net or something, most seem to be avoiding any advertising at all, and other's that do have some type of advertising seem to be expensive beef like wagyu or something...

Lamb shanks are great, when I do red meat it's usually shanks/shins for lamb, or for beef it's blade steak. Blade is great braised or in the slow cooker, and oyster blade (which is what 'flat iron' steak Americans talk about in UK/Au terms), is good for a change as a proper steak on the plate for a meal after tenderizing and basting while cooking.
But everything priced between blade and scotch fillet is usually a waste of money, eg blade, chuck, shin/shank/gravy is about $10/kg, scotch fillet is about $25, between them you have things like rump and topside etc which is useless for the price, they won't be good steaks, they will be thin, and not as good as the cheaper cuts for braising or slow cooking.

edit for quote as a new post got in there.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 29, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, can get rib roasts.
I was talking about Grav's suggestion on buying whole cuts/'roasts' of a meaty part of a cow if you don't have a butcher and everything pre cut was too thin. So bulk buying and cutting your own steaks as thick as you like from meaty primals type of roasts.
EG slabs of primals kept large as a "roast", like scotch fillet, tenderloin, rump, topside etc that you can turn into steaks yourself.

Edit: VVV Ah, OK, rib-eye is not a cut of beef here, I have never heard the term before.My local shops don't sell rib roast but I know there is some places that must as I've seen it used in recipes from Australia.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 1, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, I mentioned that before, (rib-eye=scotch fillet), but it's very pricey, higher priced than t bones for example.
I'm in Perth BTW.
I have been checking out places, mainly because of this thread. one place did have scotch fillet roasts advertised for $12/kg but the offer must have ended as they were $22/kg for a bulk scotch fillet roast when I got there. they did have rib roasts too, but that must be what they call it here after they cut the scotch fillet out of it, because there was little meat left on it for sure!
I found this video that's pretty cool if I do in future find a whole cut rib roast with the fillet still there of course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7lamJTldU

Edit: That smaller muscle he had at about 1.45s, (and probably the still shot you have right above in the YT link!), was about the size of the rib roasts I saw at my shop, definitely not the rib eye/scotch fillet on the bone for sale here as a rib roast.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 3, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Found this video that shows how they butcher a forequarter here.
He cuts away the rib fillet/rib eye/scotch fillet and leaves that small bit of meat behind to sell as a rib roast.
http://youtu.be/tGGnNvmsl5k?t=5m58s

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Tendales posted:

Aging in the fridge isn't going to accomplish anything worth speaking of. It's just not the right environment. Fortunately, that means you don't have to wait to eat a delicious steak!

What's the right environment? On the cow?
You're the first I've heard of in recent times saying aging in the fridge accomplishes nothing, assuming you are speaking about all fridges, and all temps/humidities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, the cooks and chefs here use MAPP (pro)

I don't know what you are talking about with regards to using MAPP for repairing ships at sea. MAPP by itself (with just air), is useless for soldering anything bigger than 1" copper pipe, and they do a pretty messy average job at that, depending on heat soak.
I used to be in HVAC and I got the oxygen tank and acetylene/LPG/MAPP out for any big jobs. Without pressurized oxygen it doesn't burn hot enough for big jobs.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 8, 2013

• Locked thread