Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I use stainless steel and generally don't have a problem. My method is probably far from ideal because I'm lazy and I settle for "good enough", but what I do is I pat my room-temperature steak very dry with paper towels, oil and season it, and then put it into a hot, dry pan. The steak will release from the pan on its own once it gets a sufficient sear on it. I finish with butter before resting (but after I've got a crust on both sides of the steak).

Steak purists will tell you that a good steak cooked properly does not need a condiment of any kind. I tend to agree, but if you like steak sauce, use what tastes good to you. I don't know if you're going to find great recipes for steak sauce in here as steak sauce is a way to make a lovely overcooked steak palatable, but if you haven't tried HP or A1, maybe do that. Or horseradish, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

No Wave posted:

Why room-temperature?
Because the times I didn't take the meat out soon enough I ended up with the middle underdone for my liking.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

If it was rare in the middle it wasn't already cooked completely, and was almost certainly cooked further by the microwave.

For future reference, swampcow, leftover steak is great cold. I like to slice it thinly and use it in a sandwich with horseradish.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

There are some pictures of it demonstrated on a pork chop here: http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/meat-blog/2013/06/pig-out-on-grilled-thin-cut-pork-chops/

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Cheap as hell un-lubed condom stretched over the smoke detector is a great solution for all your smoke-related problems. :chef: :350:
Or a shower cap, which can be re-used without creeping out a person rummaging around for a spatula.

"It's not what you think! It's for my meat! Here, let me show you!"

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

ShadowCatboy posted:

:stare: I would love to get my hands on that entire slab.
Sure, and I almost bought a pack of wagyu steaks from Costco that looked exactly like that as far as marbling went. I don't even buy meat from Costco but these were the best-looking steaks I'd ever seen in my life. I was really excited. But I was waiting in line at the checkout and I noticed some weird marks on the surface of the steak, so I read the label a little more carefully.

"THIS MEAT HAS BEEN MECHANICALLY TENDERIZED. COOK TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OF 63 C" etc etc. Thank goodness I noticed before I'd paid for them and gotten them out of the store.

Next time I was in I took a closer look at all the meat. Everything was mechanically tenderized. Even the prime rib roasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, poo poo. I just read back farther in the thread. The steaks I just cooked for dinner were Costco steaks. They came out more medium than I intended so I'm probably safe. If I stop posting, know I died doing what I loved: eating a pound of meat in one sitting.
I'm fairly certain that loads and loads of people eat mechanically-tenderized meat rare and that ultimately your chances of getting sick from it are low. But they're a lot higher than if you ate an unmolested piece of meat, so it's better to avoid it.

I hope you are not now dead or spilling your guts into a toilet.

• Locked thread