Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Her eyes are freaking me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Bob Morales posted:

But a lot of people will use too much heat in the pan when cooking a dry steak

Maybe I am misunderstanding the context, but in the previous GWS steak and cast iron threads, numerous folk including myself discuss getting our cast iron skillets screaming hot 500+ and throwing dry steaks in. This results in a wonderful, tasty crust. There aren't many oils that handle 500+ very well and I don't use them. I recall one seasoned chef posting here that gets his pan 700+.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
where's the money shot?

also, your steak is lacking salt.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Wagyu is typically grass fed for the first part of its life then gradually fed a mix of grain, not just corn. $24/lb is cheap, hence that's not very marbled.

I think you'd be better off saving a few $$ per pound and getting regular organic 100% grass-fed instead of paying a premium for a breed.

For fun:
http://www.costco.com/Japanese-Wagyu-Boneless-Ribeye-Roast-A-5-Grade.product.100082950.html

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 26, 2014

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I've never heard of mechanically tenderized. Is it bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Oh man, costco was the nearest place I could source Prime grade. I'll have to pay close attention next time.

• Locked thread