Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Instead of searing the poo poo out of a steak, I strongly urge you to try the method that the french use.

Take a thick cut rib-eye, dry it off completely and grind some pepper on one side and heat up your pan on medium. Put the fat edge down and cook it like that for 5 minutes. Then cook the peppered side down for five minutes in its fat. While it is cooking pepper the raw side. Flip the steak and cook for three minutes. Now take the steak out of the pan and drain the fat (if I am making many steaks I use two pans). Put two tablespoons of butter in your pan and let it get hot again (a couple of cloves of garlic can go in at this point as well if you want). While it heats up you can salt the steak on the three minute side. Put it salt side down and cook for five minutes. Salt the unsalted side while you wait. Flip and cook for three minutes and you are done. It will have an incredible crust, great flavor, and assuming you start with a room temperature steak, should be perfectly medium rare. It won't have the harsher flavors that come from searing the steak.

Alain Ducasse and I am pretty sure Guy Savoy uses this method.

EDIT: I like my steak a bit rarer than medium so I use 4 and 2 minutes then 2 and 4 minutes.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread