Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
So I have a steak problem, sort of. I tried cooking some steaks (two) in my cast iron skillet tonight. First time trying a skillet. Used a little vegetable oil, salt, pepper, and let my skillet get nice and hot. The moment I put the steaks on, it smoked up to insane levels. I'm talking plumes of smoke that filled our house. I handled it well, and the steaks turned out fine, but what could I do to prevent this?

I used vegetable oil as I thought it had a higher smoke point than olive oil and butter. The steaks were a little lean, so they needed more than their own fat to cook in. What'd I do wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I'm renting, so adding a new fan isn't an option. I'll just stick to a lower temperature (or grilling) then. I just do not want to deal with that much smoke at all. Glad to know that I didn't do anything wrong, though! :shobon:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
What temp should I pull the steaks to have them coast up to medium rare?

Also, I've got leftover bacon fat I'd like to use in place of oil. Good idea or bad idea? What's the smoke point?

We are frozen in here, so I'm thinking of trying the reverse sear method to cut down on smoke since I can't air the house out.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Pulled at 122 and ended up rare, and there's nothing wrong with that. Ended up being tasty as hell. Reverse sear did the trick, too.

I didn't have the pan hot enough to get a good crust though. Something to fix for next time.

• Locked thread