Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

Do you get a share of the ad prints?
Nope, strictly volunteer. Given how little web ads pay, I wouldn't expect that to be a meaningful amount of money anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Guys guys guys have you seen the awesome and affordable new lens lineup for the A7?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Let's give credit where credit is due: this is a far nicer selection than the original NEX launch. Once the 70-200 hits, that + the 24-70 + the two primes is a pretty good kit. Expensive, and I'd like a faster wide prime, but it's pretty good.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Wait, Sony's finally releasing a 70-200 f/4 and it's not for the alpha mount? What?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Unless it's stabilized, just buy a Beercan + adapter.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Sony press release posted:

G Lens 70-200mm F4 OSS Telephoto Zoom Lens (model SEL70200G)
The new premium 70-200mm G Lens covers a generous zoom range of 70-200mm and is an ideal choice for travel photography and long-range shooting.

The innovative optical design of the new zoom reflects its G Lens pedigree. Two ED glass elements are combined with three aspherical elements for high resolution and contrast throughout the entire zoom range, minimizing distortion and color aberration.

Like the new Carl Zeiss prime lenses, the 70-200mm Gmodel has a circular aperture that enables smooth, professional quality background defocus, and maintains a constant F4 maximum aperture for plenty of brightness at all zoom settings. It also features Optical SteadyShot to cut the effects of camera shake while shooting.

Stabilized and all the cool modern stuff the beercan lacks. I just don't understand why they're not making it for the alpha mount. Who's gonna mount a (relatively) huge, heavy, white lens full of buttons, switches and a goddamn tripod ring on a NEX?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

They're probably going to go all mirrorless. If I was Sony I'd do it, whole hog. They'd be foolish to develop or release anything for alpha that isn't already finished, and will be best served putting all their resources into mirrorless. They'll never usurp Canon or Nikon in the SLR market, already have a hugely popular mirrorless system with scads of aftermarket support, and are at least a year ahead of any other manufacturers.

The A7/R is a marketing and technological coup and Sony knows it. Nobody is going to jump ship from their system of choice that hasn't already. If they are, its not enough to move the camera market significantly. They will jump ship for a D800E sensor in an NEX body that can still mount and drive all the lenses they already own.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Is it me, or does Sony produce the ugliest looking lenses?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I've always wanted a $1k nifty fifty!

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Pablo Bluth posted:

Is it me, or does Sony produce the ugliest looking lenses?
I don't know about ugliest in general, but a lot of people hated the 70-400 mkI's silver finish. It's probably the most common complaint about the lens. It's really not so bad, but then again, I'm easily amused.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think I figure out what Sony's new naming scheme is for the future NEX and Alpha camera bodies. I will post it here without editing and see how good my prediction is for the next year.

* Only so we have 2 new FF E mount bodies called A7 and A7R

* Obviously there won't be anymore "7 series" A mount body because having 2 A7 E mount bodies and a "A78" A mount body will only introduce support nightmare

* The NEX-7 successor, will be priced between NEX-6 and NEX-7. Since Sony has a $1700 A7, it make sense to slightly down market the NEX-7. It will be calles "A6". It may even have A7's trademark giant prism. This will come out very soon as N7 is more than 2 years old.

* The NEX-5T successor will be called A5. My conspiracy is that 5T received so little upgrade over the 5R because Sony is saving the good stuff for the "5A".

* The NEX-3 successor could be called NEX-3x again or A3, it doesn't matter. Depends on what Best Buy and Target think really.

* The A99 successor, it will take a long while to come out. It will be called A9 and its basically the Sony version of EM1. It will have the new FF E mount and have the traditional control of a SLR. Hopefully Sony can put hybrid AF in the 36mp sensor and make the AF speed as fast as the A99.

* OK now for the A mount bodies, I think it will be a slow phase out process like what Olympus did to the 4/3 system.

* Sony will make at lease one more low end SLT body , lets call it the A500

* I think it will be at lease one more very fast A77 successor with cheaper build, priced between the A77 and A65. It is Sony's answer to royal alpha users who have invested serious money in various A mount big guns. Let's call it the A600, to distinguish between it and the previous alpha SLT bodies, and the A3000 "fake SLR". This will be A mount's last hurrah. Although Sony won't say it and you can't confirm it. This will come out before the A9, so people who want to upgrade from this SLT, and go straight to the A9.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sony has already shown the roadmap for their SLT cameras and they'll be releasing one more high-end SLT next year, probably the A99's successor. I do think that by releasing the A7 and A7r, they will follow-up in 1 or 2 years time with a proper A9 and A9r because the A7 seems quite a rushed job.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

alkanphel posted:

Sony has already shown the roadmap for their SLT cameras and they'll be releasing one more high-end SLT next year, probably the A99's successor. I do think that by releasing the A7 and A7r, they will follow-up in 1 or 2 years time with a proper A9 and A9r because the A7 seems quite a rushed job.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a MILC with a DSLR-like form factor to accomodate the Contax AX-style focus system that Sony was supposedly working on.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Paul MaudDib posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a MILC with a DSLR-like form factor to accomodate the Contax AX-style focus system that Sony was supposedly working on.
From what I could find out lately, it seems like it'll be an APS-C sized sensor, which dampens my enthusiasm about it a bit. Still crossing my fingers for a fullframe version.

--edit:
Also, A-mount ain't dead yet.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-says-two-a-mount-cameras-to-come-one-with-4k-and-one-full-frame-for-sports-photography/

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 21, 2013

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bob Socko posted:

Foreword to the Foreword
This thread is for Sony DSLR and SLT bodies. In the off-chance anyone wants to talk about their Minolta autofocus SLR or Konica-Minolta DSLR, feel free.
In that case, my Minolta 5D has broken, and my heart along with it.

I bought it pre-owned from eBay after picking up the film version from a charity shop, and immediately set about taking terrible photos of everything and then polishing them up to a halfway decent standard using photoshop. I'm sure everyone has fond memories of their first camera, and the 5D took my DSLR virginity.

Then I noticed it was gradually starting to do something bizarre, namely the first shot or so would be just a black image, sometimes with a slight light leak from one side. But the rest of the film was fine, so I carried on. Research confirmed it was the fairly common 'first frame black' error, which (for those of you that don't know) just requires a camera reset. It didn't seem to be a big problem, as long as I remembered to take a few test shots before going out.

However, a few months ago I took the camera out into the back garden (we have a massive garden). Took pictures for about an hour, including an impossibly close-up shot of a dragonfly using the kit lens that I will NEVER get again. I checked the images halfway through... all black.

Normally the FFB problem locks up the camera, and then it's fine after a reset; the point is that you know when the problem is there because the camera freezes. This time however, the camera was taking pictures seemingly fine - the shutter was firing, the autofocus was working, no errors were coming up on screen. But all of the photos were black, like I had the lens cap on. I didn't have the lens cap on.

Sony were offering to fix the issue until January 2011, which is funnily enough, when a lot of these cameras started appearing on eBay. And even though it did have the first frame black issue, this seems like a whole other problem. The internet thinks it's a shutter issue, and will likely cost around $300 for a fix, which I don't have.

So yeah. My KM is dead.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Sorry your camera died. :( What kind of shutter issue? Is it sticking closed, or opening/closing too fast?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bob Socko posted:

Sorry your camera died. :( What kind of shutter issue? Is it sticking closed, or opening/closing too fast?
It seems to be opening ok: If I take a picture with the lens off, I briefly see the CCD. With the lens on, it autofocuses and appears to take the shot as normal - even the under viewfinder display reads out as if it took the shot fine. However the resulting image is just black, so I'm more worried that it's the sensor itself that's gone.

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konica_Minolta_Maxxum_7D

More of a problem is missalignment of the sensor, where the sensor is stuck at one of the positions it can take up to counteract camera shake or it fails completely often due to one of the piezo actuators, which 'shake' the sensor, shattering.
Not sure because of the slightly dodgy grammar, but it sounds like the anti-shake mechanism can break the sensor, which might be what's happened.

Attached - the images I now get.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

That's interesting. Have you tried taking a long overexposed photo to see if you can get any brightness to show up?

Dyxum used to have a "boneyard" where people could buy and sell dead 5D/7Ds in an attempt to bring them back to life. It looks like they either renamed or closed it, but either way, you might still be able to get parts/cash for your camera there.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

poo poo, wrong thread.

bung fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 13, 2013

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I just posted some Sony stuff for sale (a700, 2 VG-C70am, HVL-F56am)

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Hooray my Astros are finally about to ship.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Ugh, this is so tempting. As much as I like using the Tamron 17-50/2.8, the lack of image stabilization and a proper flash on my NEX-5 is killing me in low light. The question is do I really want to continue investing in A-mount and E-mount lenses or save up for a Fuji X-mount system or a MFT system?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

If you want low light performance, I'd recommend you steer clear of the a700 (unless you plan on using it with the flash). It's a lovely camera, but it's from a couple of generations before Sony started worrying about high-ISO performance.

Edit - Jesus, $200 for an a700? For that price, it's a steal.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 19, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm starting to slowly save money for a system change. If Canon shows anything usable during the Great Time of Savings, that plan might be scrapped due to existing glass, but I really doubt to see considerable sensor improvements (say 14 stops and/or full RGB sensor) and/or an EVF in the next 2-3 years. I'd really like a fullframe SLT, but considering the limited life of the A99, because it's supposedly being put out of production for the upcoming FF A-mount cameras, doesn't exactly create confidence. Not that it matters, once you own the camera, but the fact that Sony abandons a product that quickly kind of suggests they don't have faith in their own stuff.

That rumored Z-shift tech was hinted at allowing upcoming cameras to mount glass from the competition, but apparently it's planned APS-C only, so that's out again. :(

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
Been enjoying my A77 for about a year now. Just picked up a Tamron 70-200 2.8, anyone have experience with this lens? It's the cheaper non-VC version with the slower focus. I'm using it for shooting portraits and landscapes so I don't care too much about the AF speed, I have read though that its worth tweaking the micro focus adjustments for it in-body, anyone have experience with this?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I used it and loved it on an a850. It's focus speed is fine for non-sport situations, and is better in general than the Canon/Nikon versions as long as your body has a good focus motor in it (which the a77 does). What hinders the lens is it's speed when hunting for focus, as it can take a couple of seconds to rack back and forth. A focus limiter would have eliminated much of the lens's negatives.

I never had to micro-adjust its focus, my copy worked great right out of the box. Nice color, too. I really have trouble recommending the Sony equivalent unless you are made of money or need both speed and sharpness.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

alkanphel posted:

What makes you say the A7 seems like a rush job?

Also I'm looking at switching from Canon to Sony for the A7. I think I would shoot a lot more if I had something as small as the A7 and just had a camera satchel I always took with me whenever I went out. Plus I'm moving toward only really being interested in candid street photography and my Mark 3 may as well be a big flashing light out in public. I will probably keep it to do video with, but I'm probably going to sell my lenses save for video primes if I it pans out. Renting one for four days later this week to try out, but unless I absolutely hate it I'm pretty much sold already.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

The a7 + Zeiss 35 should make a really killer street kit. I know the aperture isn't the fastest, but wider apertures are a little more forgiving if you do t have a lot of time to compose your shot. If you really need to go faster and maintain a small(ish) profile, the Minolta 35mm f/2 is awesome and will autofocus with the proper Sony adapter. The Minolta + adapter aught to be cheaper than the Zeiss, too.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Actually after seeing this I think I'm going to go old Minolta manual primes.

http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-rokkor-lens-with-sony-a7-t63296.html

Managed to find a pristine 58mm 1.2 on the local craigslist for about $200 less than average quality ones on ebay.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Actually after seeing this I think I'm going to go old Minolta manual primes.

http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-rokkor-lens-with-sony-a7-t63296.html

Managed to find a pristine 58mm 1.2 on the local craigslist for about $200 less than average quality ones on ebay.

Mind I ask where are you and how much you paid for it? I was looking for FD 50mm-ish f/1.2 lens

edit: You know Chinese have huge hard-on for adapting all kind of old MF lens on mirrorless bodies. I was going to say this guy is probably from Taiwan but based on his url he is from Hong Kong.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 14, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

whatever7 posted:

Mind I ask where are you and how much you paid for it? I was looking for FD 50mm-ish f/1.2 lens

edit: You know Chinese have huge hard-on for adapting all kind of old MF lens on mirrorless bodies. I was going to say this guy is probably from Taiwan but based on his url he is from Hong Kong.

I'm in Las Vegas and I paid $380 for it. I could turn around tomorrow and probably sell it for $500 easy.

What's crazy is there's a local vintage camera repair shop that was selling one for $195 in what they described as 9+ condition but it was marked sold by the time I saw it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I'm in Las Vegas and I paid $380 for it. I could turn around tomorrow and probably sell it for $500 easy.

What's crazy is there's a local vintage camera repair shop that was selling one for $195 in what they described as 9+ condition but it was marked sold by the time I saw it.

You probably will have to sell it to oversea buyer to get the high price though. Its up to you if you want to take that risk to make more profit. Like I said the oversea market has a great appetite for the vintage fast lens.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

whatever7 posted:

You probably will have to sell it to oversea buyer to get the high price though. Its up to you if you want to take that risk to make more profit. Like I said the oversea market has a great appetite for the vintage fast lens.

A couple went for ~$500 on FM in the last couple weeks. The A7 seems to be making them a lot more desirable. Also I totally just realized this isn't the thread for the A7.

E: But nobody's talking about it in the NEX thread so maybe it is. Or maybe it doesn't belong anywhere.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Keep talking about it here - it made me decide to take a trip to Amish country this weekend to search for old fast glass in all the junk stores there (and also eat bomb fried chicken).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

A couple went for ~$500 on FM in the last couple weeks. The A7 seems to be making them a lot more desirable. Also I totally just realized this isn't the thread for the A7.

E: But nobody's talking about it in the NEX thread so maybe it is. Or maybe it doesn't belong anywhere.

This thread should count for all Alphas/NEXes as well. At least, that's my opinion.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

What makes you say the A7 seems like a rush job?

I snagged one of these for what I consider to be a killer deal ($1500 CAD), along with the 35/2.8. After using it for a week, I'd say there are a couple of things that make it feel rushed:

-Battery life is rear end if you're coming from any decent system (Canon, Nikon, Leica, etc). It's essential to disable the LCD and wifi. You will probably want at least three batteries, if not more.
-The firmware has obvious gaps in functionality. For example: there's no way to assign a custom hotkey that will toggle the LCD/EVF. Another: it's sensible to use the LCD when a user hits the image preview button. Fuji does this perfectly. With the A7, switching to viewfinder only really means that. Nobody wants to preview an image through an EVF, though.
-No included AC battery charger (really?)

Of those negatives, the only one that actually worries me is firmware. Sony has this notion that you update software by purchasing a new piece of hardware, which is hosed up. It breeds ill will with your user-base. They need to appreciate that firmware improvements are obligate during the shelf life of the product, if not for a couple years after.

I am really excited about the optics. Both the 35/2.8 and the 55 (tried in-store) are loving awesome.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

krooj posted:

-Battery life is rear end if you're coming from any decent system (Canon, Nikon, Leica, etc). It's essential to disable the LCD and wifi. You will probably want at least three batteries, if not more.
-The firmware has obvious gaps in functionality. For example: there's no way to assign a custom hotkey that will toggle the LCD/EVF. Another: it's sensible to use the LCD when a user hits the image preview button. Fuji does this perfectly. With the A7, switching to viewfinder only really means that. Nobody wants to preview an image through an EVF, though.
-No included AC battery charger (really?)
LBR you bought a gen 1.0 sony camera.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
what am i doing with my life

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

quote:

Fuji does this perfectly. With the A7, switching to viewfinder only really means that. Nobody wants to preview an image through an EVF, though.

This is a feature, not a bug. It's better to use the EVF in very sunny environments to do reviewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

kefkafloyd posted:

This is a feature, not a bug. It's better to use the EVF in very sunny environments to do reviewing.

Debatable. They should default to the LCD for preview unless the eye sensor is triggered.

• Locked thread