Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Doubt it, they've been using that for a couple of years now and should have caught any kinks. The W pixel just replaces one of the G pixels the the Bayer array to help with brightness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently the display on the back of the A7II has RGBW pixel structure. I hope it isn't that terrible poo poo that failed hard on these Motorola smartphones two years ago.

Almost every portable LCD screen uses that now, except for Samsung's RGBG array. Maybe this means the A7ii will be the first that can actually be read in the goddamn sun.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Most recent smartphones with IPS type panels, that also have been put under the microscope during reviews, still show the traditional RGB pattern. The only displays I'm aware of also having white pixels are the terrible Pentile ones Motorola used back in the day.

Bob Socko posted:

Doubt it, they've been using that for a couple of years now and should have caught any kinks. The W pixel just replaces one of the G pixels the the Bayer array to help with brightness.
Talking about the display, not the sensor.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, the display has been used a lot, and the issue with the Motorola ones is that they had awful DPI anyway. With higher DPI screens most of the issues aren't present. Presumably the actual viewfinder will still be the OLED RGB array/display they used in the previous viewfinders so it shouldn't affect actual shooting much.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

coolskillrex remix posted:

Dec 8th for those wondering.

Going to wait for some crazy "trade in any camera sale" before i buy one, then will sell my a7 body i guess.

Actually i have to wait until the a9 gets announced and then decide if i want to go for broke on that..

I really don't get the purpose of the II. It seems like such a marginal improvement that the only thing that makes sense to me is a way for Sony to say "we're doubling down on this new format" so anyone who was avoiding switching over because they worried support might dry up won't have those reservations. I mean it's basically just slightly faster AF and in-body stabilization, right? Which the in-body is a great quality of life thing, but I can't imagine it's going to sell anyone who wasn't already sold. And I say that as someone who shoots pretty much exclusively old manual lenses on my A7.

The A9, however, will be the second coming of photography.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Unless the A9 has an RGB sensor or something else revolutionary, I don't see what will set it apart from the other A7 models. Everything it'll be able to offer are just more quality of life options.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Well, I just pre ordered the a7ii. Mostly because it was announced right when I was catching up on the market and looking for a new body. They sold me on the a7ii with the addition of IBIS, as I shoot almost exclusively with old c/y zeiss lenses. I'm not sure if IBIS is worth $500, but I'm going to find out.

Unrelated, is there an m42 adapter that will work with my tak 35 smc? I read there might be an issue with an extra tab on the smc version.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Unless the A9 has an RGB sensor or something else revolutionary, I don't see what will set it apart from the other A7 models. Everything it'll be able to offer are just more quality of life options.

I feel like it'll have to be something big to make a new line.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Sony's been using the RGBW rear screens for years, and they're not pentile. They're just RGB plus W (four dots) for each pixel, which cuts the backlight use in half. All the RX series cameras use them, e-mount cameras have used them since the NEX-7 the SLTs have used them since the a77 mark 1. If you've used any Sony camera since 2011 or so, you've used a RGBW screen.

There are other camera manufacturers that use this screen tech as well, presumably sourced by Sony.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh okay, glad to hear it's not a Pentile setup then. Some review site made it sound like the first A7 had a normal RGB one.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I really don't get the purpose of the II. It seems like such a marginal improvement that the only thing that makes sense to me is a way for Sony to say "we're doubling down on this new format" so anyone who was avoiding switching over because they worried support might dry up won't have those reservations. I mean it's basically just slightly faster AF and in-body stabilization, right? Which the in-body is a great quality of life thing, but I can't imagine it's going to sell anyone who wasn't already sold. And I say that as someone who shoots pretty much exclusively old manual lenses on my A7.

The A9, however, will be the second coming of photography.

You're forgetting it might make for a very good full frame video camera with ibis. Even if it ibis doesn't do much for video what would you want them to do? Sony has the best sensor by far when it comes to dynamic range and colors in my opinion. I'm glad they're iterating on it in pretty significant ways. Canon and Nikon just throw higher ISO and more megapixels for mark 2s and 3s but it takes them years. Who did canon win over with the 5d mk3?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The Mk3 focus system destroooys the focus system in the Mk2. Like the Mk2 had a lovely focus system anyway, but it just makes it feel like a lovely entry level as far as low light and motion capabilities. It's a huge difference.

And then they made the 6D which uses the same focus system as the Mk2 because gently caress you.

I mean who is going to be sold on IBIS who wasn't already sold on the versatility of a mirrorless full frame for under $2000? I would agree Sony is trying way harder to innovate than Canon or Nikon at the moment, though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The 6D one had the same layout (not that this wins them any awards), but is actually a new module.

As far as mirrorless goes, IBIS is what pushed me over the edge. I prefer big bodies for ergonomics, but since Canon goes nowhere with their sensor and Sony releases cool things like IBIS, a small body it is.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I just picked up the Zeiss 24-70 and 16-35 for a trip to St. Maarten. Living near a rental place has its benefits. :cool:

I've used the 16-35 before but only on plane interiors. It'll be nice to see what it can do in a proper outdoor setting.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Combat Pretzel posted:

The 6D one had the same layout (not that this wins them any awards), but is actually a new module.

As far as mirrorless goes, IBIS is what pushed me over the edge. I prefer big bodies for ergonomics, but since Canon goes nowhere with their sensor and Sony releases cool things like IBIS, a small body it is.

Why not the A99? Better lenses, too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Adapting my EF lenses. All my glass is Sigma, doesn't keep its value.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...
Does anyone have a suggestion for good video import/organize/editing software that works well with Sony AVCHD? I have both Mac and PC but the Mac is what I use for photos (currently on Aperture but switching to Lightroom soon) so I prefer it. Should I stick with iMovie or look into something else?

So far I've just been bringing them into Aperture when I import photos but I'm not sure they grab the originals and Aperture won't delete the videos off my memory cards automatically so I have a mess of files on my hands.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Any information on how ISO steppings work with Sony in regards to amplification? On at least Canon, the hardware only supports powers of two, and any third stop ISO values have the camera select the closest hardware ISO and do math on the sensor output, potentially capping shadows or highlights, depending on the bias. This the same with Sony?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

That's probably how Sony's works too, since you can generally only pick 200/400/800 etc, though auto ISO will sometimes step in and say 320 or whatever.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Meanwhile I keep reading that the A7 series is "ISO-less", as in that there's no gain applied to the signal readout and that the ISO setting is pretty much just metadata in the RAW file. Or some poo poo, I didn't really get it fully, but it doesn't seem traditional.

See here: http://blog.kasson.com/?p=4928

Given how much he's sperging about camera sensors, I suppose he's right. So I guess third stops don't matter.

--edit: I guess the idea is, if I shoot an image at ISO 100 and 3200 while maintaining same shutter speed and aperture, the RAW readouts are the same, ignoring the virtually non-existent read noise that makes it possible to begin with. It's Lightroom or whatever else that then acts on the RAW data given the ISO setting stored in the file.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 16, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What are those complaints about Sony throwing devices on the market and then not supplying firmware updates? I've seen that the A7 received two the last year (i.e. its whole lifetime), that's a slightly faster pace than the EOS 6D of mine.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It's mostly comparing it to Fuji's constant updates and adding new features. The part that's skipped over is that Sony cameras don't really have much that needs to be added, and most of the Fuji features are things that Sony's had since the e-mount launch.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

It's mostly comparing it to Fuji's constant updates and adding new features. The part that's skipped over is that Sony cameras don't really have much that needs to be added, and most of the Fuji features are things that Sony's had since the e-mount launch.

Well my biggest complaint is that the only aspect ratios we get are 3:2 and 16:9!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Does anyone have experience with the new FE 16-35 f4?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Protip: Don't leave your A7/A7II in continuous drive mode, if not necessary. It'll drop the bitdepth of the ADC to keep up with read outs. Not sure how much that applies to the A7R/A7S.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Question about the A55... what is the point of the AF button on the back of the camera? Just a second way to focus? I was under the impression that you could use that instead of half pressing the shutter to focus but there doesn't appear to be a menu option to disable half pressing focus. (Unless I'm an idiot.)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Anyone have the fe 55? I'm looking at picking one up and wondering how you guys feel about it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Follow-up, I'm renting the fe 55 right now. If there's anyone out there with an a7ii or a7, do you have your custom buttons set up for AF functions? I'm currently using c3 for af settings so I can quickly move the flexible focus point and the center dial button to center lock af. Curious if you guys have any tracking af functions mapped.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I'm pretty sure at least a few of these are just the defaults, but for focus-related custom buttons I use:

C1: Focus Settings (Which is also the focus zoom button in MF)
C2: Focus Mode
Center is Eye AF and Down is for Lock-on AF, but I never really use either of those.

However, I did set up custom mode 2 for AF-C and Lock-on AF @ Shutter, for when I want to try playing with it. I just don't really seem to shoot anything where that would be more useful than taking a second to focus/recompose or move the focus spot.

I did map the AF/MF button to AF-On briefly, but never bothered to turn off AF-on @ shutter, so that was pointless. Might be useful if you use DMF a lot or something like that, though.

How are you liking the 55?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Literally just thinking about getting a 55 today after my friend decided to get an A7 and asked me what prime lenses were available and it turns out the exact same ones as when I bought my A7 two weeks after it came out. Also curious how you're liking it. I remember being pretty impressed with the images I saw from it but I was all about manual focus lenses back then and I bought the 24-70 to still be able to take photos when I didn't want to gently caress with manual focusing, but it turns out F4 is just so dull and I use my Canon for actual work so I never use it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Literally just thinking about getting a 55 today after my friend decided to get an A7 and asked me what prime lenses were available and it turns out the exact same ones as when I bought my A7 two weeks after it came out. Also curious how you're liking it. I remember being pretty impressed with the images I saw from it but I was all about manual focus lenses back then and I bought the 24-70 to still be able to take photos when I didn't want to gently caress with manual focusing, but it turns out F4 is just so dull and I use my Canon for actual work so I never use it.

I really like it, but I'm not sure how I felt about the AF. Coming from using manual focus primes 99% of the time, felt like it got in the way. I decided to rent the Loxia 50 f/2 just to be sure I want to go with the FE 55 or not, I feel like it's optically more unique, but the fly by wire MF is annoying.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.
I picked up a Beercan on Cragislist today, and holy poo poo, this thing is Color Fringing: The Lens.

Check out this out-of-camera JPEG comparison shot: The top is the Beercan at 210mm and f/4 and the bottom is the Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM at 210mm and f/5 (its max at that focal length).

When I did indoor sharpness comparisons, the Beercan lagged behind the Sony at every focal length to the extent that it was noticeable even without cropping. The extra half stop of light was nice to have as the sun was going down, though.

Nomenclature fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 13, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

That looks like you got a really bad copy, it shouldn't fringe like that at all.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Google Butt posted:

I really like it, but I'm not sure how I felt about the AF. Coming from using manual focus primes 99% of the time, felt like it got in the way. I decided to rent the Loxia 50 f/2 just to be sure I want to go with the FE 55 or not, I feel like it's optically more unique, but the fly by wire MF is annoying.

I just want a lazy walk-around lens for when I'm not really doing a shoot or going for anything in particular so the AF will be nice to have. I have a bunch of old baller Minolta lenses for when I want to be all artsy and take time composing shots. I'd use the 24-70 if it wasn't so huge and the DOF wasn't so garbage. How did you like the IQ?

E: Lol at this review I found of the Loxia. Nice Clarity 100 ruining any way to judge the images from the lens dickhead.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/11/14/the-sony-a7-and-zeiss-loxia-50mm-f2-lens-review-by-tomer-vaknin/

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 13, 2015

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I just want a lazy walk-around lens for when I'm not really doing a shoot or going for anything in particular so the AF will be nice to have. I have a bunch of old baller Minolta lenses for when I want to be all artsy and take time composing shots. I'd use the 24-70 if it wasn't so huge and the DOF wasn't so garbage. How did you like the IQ?

E: Lol at this review I found of the Loxia. Nice Clarity 100 ruining any way to judge the images from the lens dickhead.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/11/14/the-sony-a7-and-zeiss-loxia-50mm-f2-lens-review-by-tomer-vaknin/

Having used MF for so long I feel like I'm actually faster in most situations with it than AF. The a7ii t makes MF lenses a such a dream. From what I've read the Loxia and FE perform the same after f2.8 in terms of sharpness, the color looks better in the Loxia samples I've seen. They both look exceptional and it comes down to AF vs MF.

http://www.dearsusan.net/2014/10/10/zeiss-loxia-50-sony-fe-55-leica-summicron-50-great-normal-lens-shootout/

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 13, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

drat, the Loxia is quite a bit sharper at 2. But yeah it's close enough that I think I'm in for the AF. Thanks for the feedback and the link!

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

Elliotw2 posted:

That looks like you got a really bad copy, it shouldn't fringe like that at all.

Maybe. Those are pretty heavy crops, though. Here is the full Minolta photo, followed by the Sony one. Focus is on the stop sign, about 230 yards away from the camera, and the sun is about to start setting, from the left side of the photo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129609957@N08/16514232291/in/set-72157650795862465

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129609957@N08/16489937546/in/set-72157650795862465

It doesn't seem to be a huge issue, but it does keep popping up whenever there is white under direct sunlight, for example, the circles on this woman's shirt and the logo on the left arm of this guy's T-shirt:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129609957@N08/15893767864/in/set-72157650795862465

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129609957@N08/16516336875/in/set-72157650795862465/

Here are some spotted doves at 210mm, with the Minolta then with the Sony (although the size compression hides the fringing well):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129609957@N08/15896207613/in/set-72157650795862465/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129609957@N08/16330467207/in/set-72157650795862465/

And here are crops from the color/sharpness comparisons I did (2/3rds of the way between the middle and the corner), with 100mm and 210mm shown below respectively. The Sony is the lower, inset image.

Nomenclature fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 13, 2015

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

Nomenclature posted:

...fringing...
My beecan is pretty fringy as well. All the beercans I've seen show a good bit of it, at least a lot more compared to a modern lens. Mine does a pretty great job all things considered for a 100 dollar lens but it's definitely not magic.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Beercans are basically playing the fringing lottery. Some are betters than others. The lens certainly has a character that I've always liked. It's better for people and portraits than action. The greens it renders are always lush and clear. It's also slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Elliotw2 posted:

Some lenses made for film just didnt give a crap about fringing.

• Locked thread