Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

braveplan
May 1, 2013

https://twitter.com/Harmontown
https://harmontown.com
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/harmontown/id542228532
http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/feral-audio/harmontown
https://podbay.fm/show/542228532

What is Harmontown?
Harmontown is a podcast where you get to listen to Dan's bewildering rants about things in his life. His friend Jeff Davis (from WLIIA) is there to enable him. Spencer is there to be the DM but they don't play D&D anymore. Sometimes they do improv.

On some episodes Dan invites guests and forces them to listen to him. Previous guests have included Robin Williams, Bobcat Goldthwait, Doug Benson, DC Pierson, Marc Maron, Duncan Trussell, Greg Proops, and others.

Harmontown is recorded at the Nerdmelt Theater in LA every Sunday in front of a live audience. If you're in the area and want to check it out: https://nerdmeltla.com.

For new listeners, you can just check out the latest episode. Some good episodes to check out are this episode with DC Pierson, this one with Robin Williams and Bobcat Goldthwait, episode 47 and the first episode. The tour episodes, which begin here, are also great.

http://youtu.be/Ppbn-ucKUCg

braveplan fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Is Erin McGathy on every episode? My girl loves her podcast This Feels Terrible and has mentioned wanting to go to a live Harmontown sometime.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Holy poo poo, thank you for making this thread. I'm an hour into the first podcast you recommended and I've already laughed my rear end off several times. I kinda dig Harmon's middle class white dude wisdom but didn't really know this podcast was a thing.

braveplan
May 1, 2013

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Is Erin McGathy on every episode? My girl loves her podcast This Feels Terrible and has mentioned wanting to go to a live Harmontown sometime.

Yeah, she's in nearly every episode. Most of the time she's just there to play D&D with the cast though.

cat doter posted:

Holy poo poo, thank you for making this thread. I'm an hour into the first podcast you recommended and I've already laughed my rear end off several times. I kinda dig Harmon's middle class white dude wisdom but didn't really know this podcast was a thing.

No prob. I was actually surprised this thread didn't already exist.

braveplan fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 21, 2013

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

eartongues posted:

For the first half, Dan and friends get together and talk about random topics like current events, politics, Minecraft, the Hollywood industry, inebriation, self-loathing, video games, movies, procrastination, etc.

You forgot Dan's favorite topic, racism.

Is Kumail a regular on the show now? I haven't been listening to the show lately.

braveplan
May 1, 2013

Conduit for Sale! posted:

You forgot Dan's favorite topic, racism.

Added! I knew I forgot something.

Racism... he does love to dwell those issues for better or worse, lol.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Is Kumail a regular on the show now? I haven't been listening to the show lately.

Kumail has been on more times than he hasn't lately. I figure I might as well put him up as a regular since there doesn't seem to be any indication of him leaving or going on hiatus.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
The Eric Idle episode is just about the greatest thing in podcast history.

Edit: Chicken Noodle Dick has been going through my head all day.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Was hoping this had to do with Harmon. :allears: Thought it was a new show, instead its a podcast which is better.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

For people who dismiss McGathy due to her performance on Harmontown, do yourself a favor to listen to the This Feels Terrible 'Dates For Dustin' series. It starts off kind of slow, but by the third installment I guarantee you will be laughing your rear end off.

braveplan
May 1, 2013

Anyone listen to the latest episode (55)? I feel bad for Bill.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
He probably feels bad too.. after eating all that fungus.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dan Harmon is a crazy person. I saw him do a Harmontown live at SF Sketchfest this year, and his pants came off. On the bright side, it was the last show of the tour, so afterwords they (Dan & Erin) went outside and just put the bags of t-shirts on the ground and let us have at them. I definitely wouldn't have one otherwise, so that was pretty cool.

But holy poo poo is he a crazy person.

braveplan
May 1, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

He probably feels bad too.. after eating all that fungus.

I guess it just goes to show that you should never put yourself out there for people...

Yoshifan823 posted:

Dan Harmon is a crazy person. I saw him do a Harmontown live at SF Sketchfest this year, and his pants came off. On the bright side, it was the last show of the tour, so afterwords they (Dan & Erin) went outside and just put the bags of t-shirts on the ground and let us have at them. I definitely wouldn't have one otherwise, so that was pretty cool.

But holy poo poo is he a crazy person.

Sounds like you guys had fun! The SF show was the one I was hoping to see but I had to miss it due to class. Hopefully he'll go on tour again.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

I've been listening to the shows in order and have been getting progressively hooked on the mix of Harmon's trademark humor and his (and others') stories of soul-bearing humanity. Had to post in this dormant thread to recommend episode 6 for Harmon's mannequin experience, some great butt trauma stories, and the character selection for their D&D game. Can't think of another podcast that consistently makes me laugh for 5 to 10 seconds at a time.

CherryDoom
Jul 5, 2005

SIGH
I've heard this podcast has a D&D component, how does that work? Is it a regular segment of a continuing adventure? Or are there whole episodes devoted to it? That's really what I'm most interested in going into it blind, and if it's a continuing thing I want to start from the beginning.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

CherryDoom posted:

I've heard this podcast has a D&D component, how does that work? Is it a regular segment of a continuing adventure?

Yep. They start playing D&D around episode 7 or so, and I'm not sure if they play every episode after that. I think they do.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

They pretty much do, yeah. Their DM is great, and their lack of knowledge about D&D (besides Harmon) makes it a good time. This is one of my favorite podcasts.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

To start from the very beginning of D&D you'd want to start with episode 5 I think, since that's when audience member Spencer gets (self-) selected as DM. The audience interaction, and in particular the number of "regulars" who become minor characters in and of themselves, is one of my favorite aspects of HT.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
I would happily listen to Bobcat tell stories every week.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

SoylentCola posted:

I would happily listen to Bobcat tell stories every week.
You Don't Look the Same Either is on Netflix Streaming, if you're interested.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Just saw Harmon's cameo in Arrested Development, still elated and out of breath at the convergence of my two favorite sitcoms. Looking forward to see if it gets a mention on the next podcast.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

JesusFists posted:

Just saw Harmon's cameo in Arrested Development, still elated and out of breath at the convergence of my two favorite sitcoms. Looking forward to see if it gets a mention on the next podcast.

Nothing substantative. He talked about it on an earlier show, briefly, but I think it got cut from the broadcast.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
This podcast is really good and I like listening to it. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't really laugh or smile, but this thing makes me laugh and smile. I like it.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Wow, I did not know about the D&D aspect. I eagerly anticipate Nerd Poker every week just to get some meager taste of D&D and the occasional funniest-thing-in-the-world from Blaine Capatch, so I'm so in if they're running an actually solid game. Splitting episodes between that and typical podcast-y good times sounds all the better. I'ma binge this poo poo ASAP.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Fiendly posted:

Wow, I did not know about the D&D aspect. I eagerly anticipate Nerd Poker every week just to get some meager taste of D&D and the occasional funniest-thing-in-the-world from Blaine Capatch, so I'm so in if they're running an actually solid game. Splitting episodes between that and typical podcast-y good times sounds all the better. I'ma binge this poo poo ASAP.

Whether you'll like the game segments or not depends on what you consider a 'solid game.' It's really fun to listen to, but they make a lot of concessions to the fact that they're playing in front of a live audience at a comedy show with guests like Greg Proops who neither know nor care to know the first thing about the rules.

If you're into loose, fun games, you'll love it. If you're currently sitting in a room surrounded by bound volumes of Dragon magazine, it will leave you making GBS threads blood.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Harmontown really got me and my friends into the idea of playing Dungeons and Dragons until we realized that all we really wanted was to do improv while drunk.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

You just need a cool DM like Spencer that'll let you do whatever you want (within the bounds of the game) without you having to know any of the mechanics.

Good luck with that.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Ok, I've only listened through to the first D&D session so far, but it looks like they really hit the jackpot with Spencer. That guy really knows how to keep the attention of his barely-interested players. Hopefully they'll get more invested as the campaign continues, as player participation is my favorite part of D&D (I can't imagine they'd keep the segment going this long if it's essentially Spencer's Storytime, but I've seen plenty of podcasts carry a heavier albatross). Definitely gonna be listening to a lot more of this, particularly if Kumail ends up being a regular. I've missed him since his podcast ceased being tolerable for me.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I listened to the first episode of Nerd Poker, and it was unbearable compared to the Harmontown D&D.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Fiendly posted:

(I can't imagine they'd keep the segment going this long if it's essentially Spencer's Storytime, but I've seen plenty of podcasts carry a heavier albatross).

Is the first one the one with the mirror puzzles? If so, that's the last time they will ever do anything like that again.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Fiendly posted:

Ok, I've only listened through to the first D&D session so far, but it looks like they really hit the jackpot with Spencer.
Spencer's a genuine goldmine and looks exactly the way you are envisioning in your head.

braveplan
May 1, 2013

This last episode was great. Harmontown needs more Bobcat. I loved Kumail's little story about how Jay Chandrasekhar survived his encounter with racist assholes simply because he's in Supertroopers, lol.

ALSO, I'm glad that Dan's back doing Community! Hopefully that doesn't affect the future of Harmontown.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Fiendly posted:

Ok, I've only listened through to the first D&D session so far, but it looks like they really hit the jackpot with Spencer.

Gonna leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyQiytVipW4

edit: Illiteracy monster best monster

HUMAN FISH fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 4, 2013

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

They apparently lost/corrupted last week's file which is why there hasn't been a new episode in a while.

braveplan
May 1, 2013

In episode 58, Dan explains that his return to Sony/Community wasn't quite official yet which is why they "lost" the episode. I guess he was talking way too much about what he should have kept to himself until they actually made it official.

Did anyone go to the recording? Dan offered anyone in the audience to come talk to him after the show for a writing gig. That's a huge loving deal.

Also, Jeff is psychic.

braveplan fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 12, 2013

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

eartongues posted:

Did anyone go to the recording? Dan offered anyone in the audience to come talk to him after the show for a writing gig. That's a huge loving deal.

Considering the gold he's randomly pulled out of that crowd before, that's not actually that surprising. It's probably a long shot and an absolutely insane gesture either way, but at least it shows that he knows he has literally the best audience in the world.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

eartongues posted:

He tweeted the same thing, it's not like he was automatically hiring people out of the crowd, just giving people the opportunity to talk to him about it.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

He should hire Spencer to be the show's Official DM.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I would love it if every episode of Community opened with Spencer providing a "Last time, on Community..." recap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

I would love it if every episode of Community opened with Spencer providing a "Last time, on Community..." recap.

If this doesn't happen for the season 5 premiere I'm going to be very disappointed.