Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

Almost caught up on episodes, but going slower now that there's "assigned" movies to watch, which has worked surprisingly well so far, I think. If you're not an obsessive completionist like myself, I'd recommend just hitting the highlights of the Harmoncountry tour, which got understandably repetitive as they were doing a show a night with little material to speak of other than the ditties they wrote on the tour bus and the ongoing D&D saga. I thought the most memorable shows on the tour were Austin, Brooklyn, Sommerville (for Adam Goldberg's brothers), Arlington, Pittsburgh (for the oft-referenced Dan-Erin fight), Chicago (for Dan's great day-in-the-life narration), Salt Lake City, and the departure and return LA episodes. Nashville and Kansas City were entertaining trainwrecks, the former because audience and hosts alike were drunk as hell, the latter due to a bad venue, the high number of non-Harmonites in attendance, and Jeff's absence as comptroller. (If you happen to live in Missouri as I do, though, hearing Dan's attempts to pander to Kansas City Kansans by rapping poo poo on Missouri while knowing absolutely nothing about the state was hilarious.)
I'm looking forward to seeing what the tour documentary ends up looking like, since as much as Dan tried to fit his experiences into Campbell's story circle, he had to admit he hadn't really changed at the end. Maybe Spencer-as-hero, then, which is probably what we all want to see anyway.

eartongues posted:

In episode 58, Dan explains that his return to Sony/Community wasn't quite official yet which is why they "lost" the episode.
Has Dan said if they plan to release the "lost episode" any time in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

He hasn't said. Also they haven't done the movies thing in a few episodes, I don't know if that's going to stick.

One of my favorite things they do occasionally is Sports Corner. I could listen to Harmon fumble his way through a sports conversation (and repeatedly say it will "all come down to yardage") every day.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Well, get to it, I guess.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Harmontown has made me obsessed with listening to Xanadu.

I have no idea why that songs just gets me pumped.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

caligulamprey posted:

Well, get to it, I guess.

Well, that didn't take long at all.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
This episode has Iron Man 3 spoilers and a whole lot of poop discussion.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Kumail is the best thing to happen to this podcast since D&D started. Maybe I should check out The Indoor Kids.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Nemo posted:

Kumail is the best thing to happen to this podcast since D&D started. Maybe I should check out The Indoor Kids.

I love Kumail but the Indoor Kids isn't very funny and they are also really bad at talking about video games, so it isn't a very good podcast. Unless you're into people saying "So I started playing [new game] and I played it for 20 minutes and what I noticed so far is [list of incorrect information] but anyway I didn't get to play it much because we have SO MANY GAMES TO PLAY for this show"

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Yeah, Indoor Kids is bad at just about everything. I loved the episode that Edmund McMillen and his wife guested on, but every other episode has just been frustrating and irritating. Maybe check out the Edmund episode, possibly try another just in case it might be to your liking, but you're probably better off getting your Kumail fix anywhere else.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Finally caught up. Wish they had actually talked about The Abominable Doctor Phibes - the movie wasn't terrible, but wasn't nearly as memorable as ZARDOZ. Kumail has been great; glad he's a semi-regular now. Disappointed that the lost episode contained the D&D part where they finally escaped from the shadow plane. Anyway, now I've got to deal with Harmontown withdrawal, instead of being able to mainline 2-3 episodes per day. Nerdist podcast just isn't doing it for me anymore...

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I like The Indoor Kids a lot. Maybe that's because I'm only casually interested in video games. The episodes with Jordan Morris (from Jordan Jesse Go) are particularly good - the three of them have great chemistry.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Nemo posted:

The only thing I don't like about Kumail being on the show is before him, it was a thing at Harmontown to not make fun of people in the audience (except Adam Goldberg) who came up on stage or whatever so that people would feel comfortable to do so. Kumail has no reservations about making fun of the audience, and while it's funny, it also kind of sucks to lose that special thing Harmontown had.

Also he isn't nearly as good at comptrolling as Jeff, but that's to be expected I suppose. Jeff knows exactly when to chime in with a thought and when to not try to derail the Dantrain.

Neither of these are really a very big deal though, and Kumail is a really good fit for the show.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 15, 2013

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Spencer's Dad. :allears:

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

And Spencer becoming Dan's PA on Community! Great episode, even if jesus christ they can't make it through a turn of combat between the (admittedly great) tangents and Erin's well-intentioned but hopeless D&D strategy of roleplaying absolutely everything. For those who just want to hear the Community-related banter, it's at the beginning and around 1:07:30.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

JesusFists posted:

Erin's well-intentioned but hopeless D&D strategy of roleplaying absolutely everything.

At least the bedroll thing makes more sense than tying swords to her legs to dissect a dragon because "girls have strong legs."

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I like Erin, but I genuinely didn't know if she was doing "clueless girl who has no idea how to play Dungeons and Dragons, har har" shtick, or if that's how she really is until they addressed it directly in this episode.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

JesusFists posted:

And Spencer becoming Dan's PA on Community!

He's actually going to be Dan's personal assistant, which is a much, much better job than PA (production assistant, aka lowest job on the entertainment industry totem pole).

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And here's the inevitable apology from Dan Harmon for the contents of the last Harmontown.

I think anyone upset by things that he said have a right to be upset, but I still feel fond of Harmon, even if I can't defend him. I feel this way with a lot of people lately - with Twitter and half-drunk podcasts, there are a lot of outlets for people to broadcast their half-considered thoughts, which I think is interesting. I'd hate to see entertainers become ever more shielded and careful. I guess this is a half-finished thought of my own, but I think that statements on things like tweets and podcasts should be given some leniency. To see these comments transcribed and put into a news article, as if this was a press statement that Harmon released, seems disingenuous.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Kumail has no reservations about making fun of the audience, and while it's funny, it also kind of sucks to lose that special thing Harmontown had.

To be fair though Jeff is basically the same way as well, and really only holds back on the roasting because Dan is like all "we don't make fun of the audience here".

Also I was so unbelievably happy when it turned out Spencer got the promotion to Dan's PA. I love Spence and he's kind of my favorite part of the show, especially since his whole life has progessed like some nerdy version of the old "Our guitarist is sick with food poisoning, can anyone cover for him during our set" trope.

Also has anyone listened to Spencer's interview on This Feels Terrible? It's insane, what happened to his last girlfriend.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

I loving hate entertainment news. It doesn't matter that everything Dan said about Community season 4 was completely deserved, or that he went out of the way to point out that the writers did the best they could considering the situation they were in, because there were enough potentially "unflattering" quotes to take out of context to write a story that fits the established narrative. Thanks to THR and their ilk, we get a less candid, and probably shorter, show.

wafflesnsegways posted:

He's actually going to be Dan's personal assistant, which is a much, much better job than PA
You're right, wasn't the clearest time to try to initialize.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

wafflesnsegways posted:

And here's the inevitable apology from Dan Harmon for the contents of the last Harmontown.

I think anyone upset by things that he said have a right to be upset, but I still feel fond of Harmon, even if I can't defend him. I feel this way with a lot of people lately - with Twitter and half-drunk podcasts, there are a lot of outlets for people to broadcast their half-considered thoughts, which I think is interesting. I'd hate to see entertainers become ever more shielded and careful. I guess this is a half-finished thought of my own, but I think that statements on things like tweets and podcasts should be given some leniency. To see these comments transcribed and put into a news article, as if this was a press statement that Harmon released, seems disingenuous.

Christ, people are so sensitive.
Everything Dan said was backed up with reasons and was in no way offensive to anyone intelligent enough to understand his speech.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

JesusFists posted:

I loving hate entertainment news. It doesn't matter that everything Dan said about Community season 4 was completely deserved, or that he went out of the way to point out that the writers did the best they could considering the situation they were in, because there were enough potentially "unflattering" quotes to take out of context to write a story that fits the established narrative. Thanks to THR and their ilk, we get a less candid, and probably shorter, show.

Dan Harmon in the news: A drunken psychopath who yells and rants and tells rape jokes and calls everyone he works with poo poo to their faces.
Dan Harmon in the podcasts: A self-deprecating, insecure, self-aware person who rambles about his horribly honest thoughts and is desperate to make his small audience laugh even if it makes him look bad.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

JesusFists posted:

Not much to say to this beyond "yeah" or "absolutely" so yeah, absolutely agree.

Occupation posted:

Also has anyone listened to Spencer's interview on This Feels Terrible? It's insane, what happened to his last girlfriend.

Yeah I usually skip 75% of TFT episodes that I download, but that one was a big bowl of crazy.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Occupation posted:

Ugh, I haven't felt this depressed about relating to someone's lovely situation since I listened to Kulap's Mental Illness Happy Hour. What an aptly-named podcast.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Occupation posted:

I don't know, it sounded to me like Spencer was overinflating what happened because he's young, goony and doesn't have any perspective.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Irish Joe posted:

I don't know, it sounded to me like Spencer was overinflating what happened because he's young, goony and doesn't have any perspective.

Yeah I agree with this too, and some of his logical leaps don`t really make much sense.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
It sounded to me like he was in love with some crazy girl who basically was friend zoning him.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Episode 61 was really good. Does anyone know anything about Mars Argo though, like as a band or whatever?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Brekelefuw posted:

It sounded to me like he was in love with some crazy girl who basically was friend zoning him.

Yeah, maybe not exactly friendzoning him, but he was just in a weird relationship with a crazy girl
and simply did not know better. Its a type of thing that can happen at that age.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Occupation posted:

Episode 61 was really good.

Just finished Dan Harmon's reddit pity party. There's nothing more insufferable than sanctimonious blowhards complaining about online criticism.

Does it get better?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Irish Joe posted:

Just finished Dan Harmon's reddit pity party. There's nothing more insufferable than sanctimonious blowhards complaining about online criticism.

Does it get better?

I agree that a lot of what Dan Harmon said was sanctimonious, but I think that the underlying ruminations he was making-that a lot of the reporting of the situation used contextless quotes of a admitted comedy program to slant public perception against him right from the get-go- were interesting.

Like, look at how the community thread reacted to last week's podcast. I mean, yeah, that thread is one of the worst on the forum, but like 90 percent of the people in there were ready to burn Harmon at the stake. Despite, like, none of them having listened to or ever listened to Harmontown. It was infuriating.

Anyways to answer your question, after all of that, they play a really hilarious game which eats up most of the ep and d&d was good, so yeah.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Occupation posted:

Like, look at how the community thread reacted to last week's podcast. I mean, yeah, that thread is one of the worst on the forum, but like 90 percent of the people in there were ready to burn Harmon at the stake. Despite, like, none of them having listened to or ever listened to Harmontown. It was infuriating.

That's generally what happens when your headline is, "Rich famous TV creator and known drunkard Dan Harmon says season of your favorite show is worst thing ever, compares it to rape!" Which is simultaneously accurate and also inaccurate.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Lately I have been getting the vibe that Spencer is really not in to D&D anymore.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Brekelefuw posted:

Lately I have been getting the vibe that Spencer is really not in to D&D anymore.

Show up every week, nobody gives a poo poo about it, Kumail is brought up for it but wants to comment on three or four items previously discussed, get nothing done. It's getting a bit predictable. Spencer or Adam was loving hilarious but they should make time for D&D and cut out some of Dan Harmon blubbering about mean online people for a solid hour

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Occupation posted:

Episode 61 was really good.

Not really. Some lovely band crying about youtube comments for 30 minutes ruined the rest of it.

Spencer or Adam was great, though.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
How can he complain about people saying mean things online? That's the content of his podcast!

I tend to skip any podcast that mentions twitter or internet commenters in the episode description. It's never a good sign.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Half of Dracula posted:

Show up every week, nobody gives a poo poo about it, Kumail is brought up for it but wants to comment on three or four items previously discussed, get nothing done. It's getting a bit predictable. Spencer or Adam was loving hilarious but they should make time for D&D and cut out some of Dan Harmon blubbering about mean online people for a solid hour

According to his twitter Spencer was like, really sick right before the podcast, which explains his disaffected attitude during D and D

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
It's the natural order of things for a DM to get bored sometimes after finishing a big chunk of an adventure. He'll pep back up once things get moving.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I think it's more likely to be depression than boredom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Just listened to 62, thought it was quite funny, though D&D has been weird and spotty, IMO, since they got back from the shadow plane. Spencer has seemed bored, and as mentioned above, depression may be playing a role, but I think the other issue is that we've slowed to a glacial pace due to the number of players, the growing tendency for players to focus on their bits rather than the story, and the continued antagonism between Jeff and Erin. I thought that Jeff playing his character to demonstrate the absurdity of Erin's arrow-rope-necklace plan might get her back on the rails, but instead she immediately attacks the guest, Roy I think, who was actually trying to help this time around. Part of me laughs, but the part of me that appreciates a well-paced D&D game wants to yell at the players for ignoring Spencer's multiple indications that they were fighting a demon, as Spencer finally did in this episode, revealing just a bit of frustration. To go full :neckbeard: for a moment, I'm pretty sure the devil only had 37 points of damage done to it, right? (16 from Roy's searing light, 2 from Kumail's rope-knife, 19 from Harmon's shocking grasp.) Pretty weak for a single enemy versus 5 people - thinking Spencer may have just had him die early so they could end the session and move along already.
Of course, troughs like these are pretty common in D&D games, but while many DMs resolve the issue by just letting the characters die if the players are going to play them thoughtlessly, but Spencer doesn't seem to be willing to do that. (At some point on the tour Spencer had said that he hasn't been keeping them alive, but considering the extent of their gently caress-aroundery and self-destruction, especially in combat, and the fact that, as far as I can remember, no one has ever even been knocked unconscious in combat excepting the second-to-last shadow plane fight, I find that hard to believe.)

Edit: Just realized I spent the entire post talking D&D. Thought the superpower discussion was really entertaining, though it's kinda sad to see a change in tone as Dan realizes that he can't really talk about his life any more, as his life is Community at the moment. Thankfully there were still a lot of laughs, and I didn't feel like it dragged even though the podcast was nearly 2 hours.

JesusFists fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 2, 2013