Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It's part D&D, part improv. I don't think a pure D&D, or even a partial D&D (with any serious consequences), would fit the podcast. They need to have a DM that will roll with the punches, continue the "story," despite the heroes' stupid moves, and so far Spencer seems up to it. It's not about playing the game purely, it's about entertaining, and it's been an entertaining run so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Those of are interested in the D&D campaign might appreciate this. Spencer posted a quick write-up listing a lot of the stuff that's been missed and some alternate routes they could have taken.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Harmontown/comments/1hg8jt/episode_62_blinking_1200/cav2lhs

braveplan
May 1, 2013

We haven't had a good "hosed your mom" rap in a while.

MY ABACUS! posted:

Those of are interested in the D&D campaign might appreciate this. Spencer posted a quick write-up listing a lot of the stuff that's been missed and some alternate routes they could have taken.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Harmontown/comments/1hg8jt/episode_62_blinking_1200/cav2lhs

Cool. Looks like the cast missed a lot of fun opportunities.

braveplan fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 6, 2013

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

makeamightysound posted:

We haven't had a good "hosed your mom" rap in a while
Listen to the tour again and tell me rapping isn't worn out forever.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

I just discovered this podcast this week. I'm an idiot for not finding it sooner. At least I have a huge back catalog to go through.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That Siike conversation was some incredible poo poo last week. And I'm grateful that the description for this week's ep isn't really accurate, since Harmon is exactly the sort of dude to become a truther after seeing a "documentary".

Has anyone listened to that James Urbaniak podcast? Because the preview they did this ep made it sound pretty awesome.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Occupation posted:

Has anyone listened to that James Urbaniak podcast? Because the preview they did this ep made it sound pretty awesome.

It's pretty good only about 10mins an episode. I listen every now and then.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I listened to the first two episodes, after hearing the one tagged on the end of Harmontown. The space one was amazing, but the other two were boring to me because they went all over the place. That being said, he has the best voice ever.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

Also enjoyed last week episode; too bad there won't be one this week because of SDCC.

Golden Bee posted:

Listen to the tour again and tell me rapping isn't worn out forever.

The silver lining, though, is that if you listened to the entire tour, you probably picked up the skills to make your own momma-loving rap out of anything, like so:

I hosed your momma, she was worn out forever
I hosed your momma, then a guillotine severed
her head! So since she's loving dead
I stuck my penis up inside her neckhole instead
I'm sorry

Much like the Nike endorsement, I think it's best that we agree that the joke has run its course and move on.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
There's no excuse for dropping the chicken noodle dick song.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

I wouldn't want to hear Chicken Noodle Dick every week, but if they wrote a new verse every couple months and got a guest (Eric Idle, of course, would be at the top of the list) to sing it, that would be pretty drat cool.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Jesus Christ, the newest episode is an emotional roller coaster of D&D goodness.

I wish this episode was what they were basing the animated series on.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Now I understand why Jeff hates playing with Erin.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

caligulamprey posted:

Jesus Christ, the newest episode is an emotional roller coaster of D&D goodness.

That was loving beautiful

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

That was one of the better episodes in some time.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

God their freaking out after Sharpie is killed...endless comedy gold.

And I kinda love that Jeff's a grognard now.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Irish Joe posted:

Now I understand why Jeff hates playing with Erin.

She can sometimes still be the horrible high school girl that she says she used to be.
She really needed to shut up and stop running her bit further in to the ground.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I was at the recording and it was even more of a clusterfuck in person than it plays on the podcast.

Jeff looked legitimately ready to kill Erin. Did not play like a bit at all. And Dan was alternating between laughing at it and getting angry at the Yarl the whole time. He was really, really drunk.

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 7, 2013

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Brekelefuw posted:

She can sometimes still be the horrible high school girl that she says she used to be.

I want Erin in my D&D game. I was dying more than Sharpie.

Rocketfish
Jul 2, 2007

*pshew!*
Thanks!

Brekelefuw posted:

About the only reason I dislike Harmontown these days is not specifically because of Erin playing D&D, but the slow, horrible realization that I was my group's "Erin" back when I played D&D. It's like being visited by the RPG version of the ghost of christmas past.

Also this podcast should be required listening for anyone considering DMing a bunch of alcoholics because jesus christ.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
This week's Harmontown is being vigorously debated on R/Harmontown. If you wondered how moon colony selection would work, this is very, very interesting.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco
I didn't know r/harmontown existed, but it was cathartic to find other folks who were equally irritated by Levi's... contribution(?) to the last episode.

As Sunday night approaches, I hope he doesn't become another dead weight recurring character like Anatoly.

Arstan fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 25, 2013

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Arstan posted:

I didn't know r/harmontown existed, but it was cathartic to find other folks who were equally irritated by Levi's... contribution(?) to the last episode.

As Sunday night approaches, I hope he doesn't become another dead weight recurring character like Vasily.

Since he lives in Iowa where he scrawls on his wall and harvests shrooms from dead cattle, I wouldn't worry about him showing up every week.

I wasn't irritated by Levi's appearance; having a genuinely crazy person on was fun. I wouldn't want him every week, but it's fun. Kinda like "Connors Conundrums".

Umpire Weekend
Apr 10, 2006

I backed my car into a cop car the other day
Well he just drove off sometimes life's OK
Levi was pretty unbearable, but the D&D segment was loving hilarious, so I think that made up for it.

"Who killed Goliath?"

braveplan
May 1, 2013

Ugh... Levi was the cringiest guest ever.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco
Has everyone already seen the much acclaimed video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIXuRt88K9I

I suspect Harmon subjected everyone to that 20 minute exercise in empathetic embarrassment so we'd all know who to look for when Erin receives a package containing Dan's severed bearded head.

Arstan fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 26, 2013

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Between Levi, Lisette and Beef Fungus Bill I'm beginning to think everybody who listens to Harmontown is insane.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
What's wrong with Beef Fungus Bill? He seems like a cool guy who just tries a little too hard. Harmontown embraces people who try!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

When Sharpie finds the dead adventurers with their loot and says, "Jackpot! ... and a tragedy." it's the perfect summation of how it feels playing most video games.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I can't believe they got through the show without bringing Spencer's mom on stage.
I wonder if he is as angsty towards her as he is his father.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco
The audience chanting down Lisette was pretty magical. She and Levi should start a show discussing gender roles.

Arstan fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 27, 2013

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Unsurprisingly, Erin flaked on her My Terrible Body photos after gaining ten pounds since announcing it this past spring.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Holy poo poo this week's was magical. I wish there were pics of stoned Adam Goldberg.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
So I'm on episode 23 with an outrageously drunk Ryan Stiles playing DnD. It sounds like he's going to be a plastered rear end in a top hat through the whole thing. Is it worth listening to?

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Chexoid posted:

So I'm on episode 23 with an outrageously drunk Ryan Stiles playing DnD. It sounds like he's going to be a plastered rear end in a top hat through the whole thing. Is it worth listening to?

Ryan Stiles playing DnD is one of my favorite segments. It takes him a little while to figure it out, though.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Jesus, listening to the compliment conversation makes me feel autistic because I agree with everything Dan says.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco
His epiphany about how he receives compliments was delightful.

I really didn't get his point about the audience chanting Lisette down, last week. Maybe if they had been trying to silence descent or something, but it seemed pretty clear that they just wanted her to shut up so the D&D game could start (and knew that no length of time would result in her making a point).

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Arstan posted:

His epiphany about how he receives compliments was delightful.

I really didn't get his point about the audience chanting Lisette down, last week. Maybe if they had been trying to silence descent or something, but it seemed pretty clear that they just wanted her to shut up so the D&D game could start (and knew that no length of time would result in her making a point).

It seemed more like they wanted her to stop digging a gender stereotype hole. I can imagine Erin saying "honey you're so pretty. Just stop".

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco
That's more or less what I meant. She was digging a hole, the audience knew she was digging a hole, and they (understandably) didn't want to watch her dig at the expense of D&D.

It's also a little funny that her week of reflection basically amounted to, "When I worked at a wedding shop, at least one person per couple was really invested in their wedding." Her perfect skin will continue to save her from learning to avoid making sweeping statements based on extremely narrow anecdotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Lisette's apology amounting to "I'm sorry if my words offended you" kind of got under my skin and I was secretly hoping for another audience takedown.

Randomly listening to older episodes out of sequence, Levi shows up in an early episode (in the 10-20 range?) and doesn't sound like a cartoon character wearing a velvet smoking jacket. A year or two in L.A. will gently caress you right up, yo.